WAKE UP IT'S OPENING DAY!!!!

mdbdotcom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m in  NYC parts of all three days the O”s are in town. My wife has a conference in Hartford and we are staying in Manhattan to be close to Penn Station for our Amtrak arrival and departure. Initially, I was excited that we may be able to catch one. Sadly, our timeline has us either in  Hartford or leaving NYC at game time each game. I’ll be tuning in to the MLB-At Bat app O’s radio feed however. 

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

I’m in  NYC parts of all three days the O”s are in town. My wife has a conference in Hartford and we are staying in Manhattan to be close to Penn Station for our Amtrak arrival and departure. Initially, I was excited that we may be able to catch one. Sadly, our timeline has us either in  Hartford or leaving NYC at game time each game. I’ll be tuning in to the MLB-At Bat app O’s radio feed however. 

Can't you get a new wife? :)

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-opening-day-firsts-20190327-story.html

Orioles Opening Day: If you lost interest in the dismal team last year, here's what you need to know for 2019

Cedric Mullins
Orioles center fielder Cedric Mullins. (John Bazemore / AP)

Cedric Mullins

A Georgia native, Mullins for years tried to find a way to get to Turner Field for an Atlanta Braves season opener. Thursday should mitigate that disappointment some.

"It's huge, the opportunity just to experience an Opening Day and be the one playing in it is amazing," Mullins said. "I'm just thinking back on the years, just wanting to be at an Opening Day game to watch it. That's hard enough. To actually be playing in one, that's awesome. It's indescribable, and I'm excited, simply put. ... I never made it to a Braves Opening Day. That was something I always wanted to do, and that's OK. I'll let that slide now that I get to play in one."

Orioles infielder Drew Jackson.
Orioles infielder Drew Jackson. (Lloyd Fox / Baltimore Sun)

Drew Jackson

Jackson doesn't have to use Thursday as a fill-in for Opening Days he missed as a child — he went to Opening Day as often as possible for his hometown San Francisco Giants, and the first he remembers was when what's now Oracle Park opened in 2000.

"I remember how excited I got as a kid, and this will be that much better," Jackson said. "I know it's going to be high-energy. It's going to be a lot — probably way more than I expect — but I'm so excited for this. It's a dream come true. I have so many family and friends out there, so it should be quite the experience."

Orioles infielder Richie Martin.
Orioles infielder Richie Martin. (Lloyd Fox / Baltimore Sun)

Richie Martin

Martin and Jackson don't have to room together anymore the way they did at spring training, but Martin will be experiencing everything Thursday for the first time alongside Jackson. The presumptive starting shortstop knows that it'll be twice as much to soak in because he didn't have a midseason debut like many other players get.

Orioles right-hander David Hess.
Orioles right-hander David Hess. (Chris O'Meara / AP)

David Hess

"Looking at it, every year growing up, whether I was 10 years old or 20 years old, just thinking to myself how badly I wanted that to happen,” Hess said. "For that to be a dream come true this year — this is a great group, with a lot of guys I came up through the minor leagues with and a lot of guys I got to know in spring training. I'm excited to share this time with them.”

Orioles left-hander Paul Fry.
Orioles left-hander Paul Fry. (Gerald Herbert / AP)

Paul Fry

The baseball, of course, will be the focus come the actual first pitch at 1:05 p.m. But there's so much more happening on Opening Day that's worth noting, even to the players themselves...

Orioles right-hander Jimmy Yacabonis.
Orioles right-hander Jimmy Yacabonis. (Lloyd Fox / Baltimore Sun)

Jimmy Yacabonis

"It shows to me that the work that I put in in the offseason went towards something," Yacabonis said. "It feels like I'm progressing. Last year, I didn't make the roster, and this year, I made it, so it shows I'm progressing and getting better each year. It's obviously one of my goals, too. One of the goals when you get drafted is to make it to the big leagues..."

17 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

15 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Can't you get a new wife? :)

In her defense, it was her idea we took our  honeymoon four years ago for opening week at Camden Yards. 6 games. She’d love to see the games as much as me. Just the timing was way off this time. 

Archived