Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you equating side sessions to pitching in an MLB game?  I hope you are.

Are you ignoring side/bullpen sessions and not including them in your calculus of the pitch count in this case? God I hope so. You may also want to take note that for 40 pitches, two days of rest is the norm. Would you like to engage further? Your point is actually pointless if you are actually making an argument that 40 pitches thrown 4 days ago somehow made Hess so tired.

Did anyone even expect that any of our pitchers would have a no hitter going into the seventh inning at any point this season much less the fourth game in?

In the day of openers and being able to throw two complete games in 2018 and lead the league, I can’t get worked up about Hess getting pulled.

(Or maybe I’m just getting old.)

• Upvote 1

As much as I'd like to have seen Hess pitch a no-hitter, I'm happy with Hyde's decisions and results. I don't like Araujo being on the team, but it was a good time to use him. There's no need to abuse Hess this early in the season. It was smart to pull him, and I hope it puts him in position to have a strong overall season. There are only 4 teams with a better winning percentage than us (at the moment), so I have nothing to complain about. Honestly, I'd be okay if we end up with the worst record in baseball for 2019 so that we get another #1 draft pick, yet I'm thrilled with where were at and what Hyde is doing. This could turn out very well for Hess in the long run.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What a bunch of bull hockey.   I just hate it when people can’t accept that there are two sides to an issue because of their own feelings.   Don’t insult me by telling me I’m arguing just to argue.   The manager, Jim Palmer, Rick Dempsey and lots of posters agree with our side of this argument.   If you want to argue the other side, go ahead, but don’t tell me why I’m making the opposite argument.    I’m doing it because that’s what I believe, for the reasons I gave.   

And so am I, and so is Rene. Each side has its points, and I understand your position, but providing me (which is actually hysterical) a lecture on this point for being “emotional” is something els entirely. You demand we respect your learned position while simultaneously discounting the opposite argument out of hand. Doctor heal thyself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Are you ignoring side/bullpen sessions and not including them in your calculus of the pitch count in this case? God I hope so. You may also want to take note that for 40 pitches, two days of rest is the norm. Would you like to engage further? Your point is actually pointless if you are actually making an argument that 40 pitches thrown 4 days ago somehow made Hess so tired.

Side/bullpen sessions last 10-15 minutes and aren't max effort.  What that has to do with your assumption on what Hess should have done today, I'm not sure.  But again, if you're equating a side/bullpen session to actually pitching in an ML game, I couldn't find your logic with a compass.  

It's not that 40 pitches 4 days ago made him tired, it's that he threw 40 pitches 4 days ago, 80 today and he'll have to be fresh for the next start.  

Just now, Yachtsman said:

And so am I, and so is Rene. Each side has its points, and I understand your position, but providing me (which is actually hysterical) a lecture on this point for being “emotional” is something els entirely. You demand we respect your learned position while simultaneously discounting the opposite argument out of hand. Doctor heal thyself.

What the hell are you talking about?   Where did I say anything about you or anyone else being emotional?    I’m absolutely fine with anyone holding the opinion that Hyde should have left him in.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Did anyone even expect that any of our pitchers would have a no hitter going into the seventh inning at any point this season much less the fourth game in?

In the day of openers and being able to throw two complete games in 2018 and lead the league, I can’t get worked up about Hess getting pulled.

(Or maybe I’m just getting old.)

In 1980 the Athletics had 94 complete games.  Then their entire staff had arm issues a couple years later and that was the end of that.  

Just now, Orioles1954 said:

I love how some posters assume that Hess is currently sobbing in the back of the locker room (while curled up in the fetal position) because Hyde somehow someway "disrespected" him. Where is the confidence?! Where is the love?!

I guess those posters didn’t watch Hess’s postgame interview.    He admitted he was “shocked” that Hyde took him out but was very good humored and gracious about it and said the appreciated that Hyde’s first concern was his long term health.  

• Upvote 2