Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Just gonna throw out there that most pitching coaches say that it's reductive to just look at the pitching count. You have to consider how stressful the pitches were. Hess didn't throw a single pitch with a runner in scoring position or with anything less than a 4-run lead. You can harp on 82 pitches, but it was a pretty soft 82.

Since when is 6.1 innings of no hit ball "pretty soft"?

Just now, Yachtsman said:

Thus we must assume that if Hess stayed in he would have a torn labrum? Perhaps we can avoid using pitchers at all to avoid such an injury? Not buying this argument. Sorry.

We are discussing an obvious stupid decision on a board with people that just relish in disagreement. 

Guy I know posted on FB the other day “I went over to the OH the other day looking for insight...and well learned my lesson there, I don’t know what I was thinking”

Our combined no hitter was unique because Milacki couldn’t go more than 4-5 ever. This is not that. And even if it was...you let him finish because it doesn’t matter to us, but it matters a hell of a lot to David Hess.

Sometimes there aren’t 2 sides to an issue...one side must argue alone for their jollies.

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Precisely. Then why let him back out for one more hitter? Therein lies the problem.

Now you are saying he should have gone 6.2 innings and THEN gotten pulled, and that somehow would have made a difference??????

Just now, Yachtsman said:

Precisely. Then why let him back out for one more hitter? Therein lies the problem.

OH MAN HE HAD TO WALK OFF THE MOUND IT'S SO EMBARRASSING!! 

What a problem that is.  Major league pitchers having to be pulled in the middle of an inning.  The horror!  

You know, I've never seen a no-hitter (or perfect game) before. I've seen Mike Mussina come close a couple times, and wasn't fortunate enough to see that 1991 no-hitter, but that's one thing I hope to see someday. Nonetheless, I think Hyde made the right decision by pulling Hess in the middle of a no-hitter. This isn't 1980 where pitchers are expected to go 9+ innings. It's early in the season, Hess is a young pitcher, and I'm hoping he has a nice, long career with the Orioles. Perhaps this will be a launching point for his career. Rick Dempsey even made a good point after the game, saying pitchers never look good after being extended for the sake of a no-hitter. As much as I want to see a no-hitter, I think this was for the best. I really didn't like seeing Araujo being called on, but it wasn't a bad time to call on him. I'm just glad we pulled out the win. I'm very happy right now ?

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

We are discussing an obvious stupid decision on a board with people that just relish in disagreement. 

Guy I know posted on FB the other day “I went over to the OH the other day looking for insight...and well learned my lesson there, I don’t know what I was thinking”

Our combined no hitter was unique because Milacki couldn’t go more than 4-5 ever. This is not that. And even if it was...you let him finish because it doesn’t matter to us, but it matters a hell of a lot to David Hess.

Sometimes there aren’t 2 sides to an issue...one side must argue alone for their jollies.

David is talking to Pedro Martinez about believing he could have gotten those few outs. That's a bit better than what would have happened after he gave up a couple hits. 

Archived