Adam Hall at 2nd, Cadyn Greiner at Short for Opening Night

Legend_Of_Joey

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

20 years old, 170 pounds, and from Canada where he likely did not play baseball year round.  There may be power yet to come.  Not a lot, but enough for middle infield when you consider the rest of his skill set.

Question being how much will filling out change his speed profile which seems to be an important part of his game.

34 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Question being how much will filling out change his speed profile which seems to be an important part of his game.

That's always a question, but physical maturity doesn't always mean loss of mobility. At least I think you can get power out of a swing without losing speed.

A couple things - Hall is from Canada and he may not have played year-round in high school, but he was an elite baseball prospect in Canada for a good bit and I am pretty sure he received some quality high-level coaching.

I do not know how much maturing there still is - whether he will fill out a bit or stay fairly slim like he is now.  He has a very strong swing and IMO has spent the year working on gaining the appropriate launch angles.  I also think Hall has been trying to work deeper counts and to lay off bad pitches and to get more BBs.  So, he is working on a lot. 

AS IT IS, Hall's line so far this year of .308/.390/.800 has him third, fifth and ninth league wide in those categories among qualifiers entering play tonight (not sure why someone would call him a lost prospect).  I believe he is on the younger side for the league.

Better yet, IMO, like last season, Hall is finishing the year in strong fashion.  After walking 8 times in 114 ABs in May, 3 times in 70 ABs in June, Hall has come back with 10 BBs in 100 ABs in July and already 9 BBs in only 62 ABs in August.  Hall had only 13 XBHs last year in 222 ABs for a % just under 6% and is at 30 XBHs in 2019 in 425 ABs - just over 7% - an improvement.  Surprisingly, Hall has better numbers at home in Delmarva than away.

I think Hall has really solidified his prospect status this year.  It won't take too much incremental improvement going forward for his numbers to stand out even more.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, hoosiers said:

A couple things - Hall is from Canada and he may not have played year-round in high school, but he was an elite baseball prospect in Canada for a good bit and I am pretty sure he received some quality high-level coaching.

I do not know how much maturing there still is - whether he will fill out a bit or stay fairly slim like he is now.  He has a very strong swing and IMO has spent the year working on gaining the appropriate launch angles.  I also think Hall has been trying to work deeper counts and to lay off bad pitches and to get more BBs.  So, he is working on a lot. 

AS IT IS, Hall's line so far this year of .308/.390/.800 has him third, fifth and ninth league wide in those categories among qualifiers entering play tonight (not sure why someone would call him a lost prospect).  I believe he is on the younger side for the league.

Better yet, IMO, like last season, Hall is finishing the year in strong fashion.  After walking 8 times in 114 ABs in May, 3 times in 70 ABs in June, Hall has come back with 10 BBs in 100 ABs in July and already 9 BBs in only 62 ABs in August.  Hall had only 13 XBHs last year in 222 ABs for a % just under 6% and is at 30 XBHs in 2019 in 425 ABs - just over 7% - an improvement.  Surprisingly, Hall has better numbers at home in Delmarva than away.

I think Hall has really solidified his prospect status this year.  It won't take too much incremental improvement going forward for his numbers to stand out even more.

He has shown the hit and defensive tools. I think what people here want to see more of is power numbers and walks increasing. If his numbers stay the same, he's basically a Trea Turner type of player who can hit well and is a table setter, but doesn't take a ton of walks and hit a lot of HR's. It's a good skill set to have, but can be improved if the power numbers and walks go up

20 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He has shown the hit and defensive tools. I think what people here want to see more of is power numbers and walks increasing. If his numbers stay the same, he's basically a Trea Turner type of player who can hit well and is a table setter, but doesn't take a ton of walks and hit a lot of HR's. It's a good skill set to have, but can be improved if the power numbers and walks go up

His OBP is .80 points higher than his (very good) batting average. While his walk rate of 8 percent is a little below the league average, he has been hit by 19 pitches which is 3rd in the South Atlantic League. Not sure whether that is a skill that will translate to higher levels of the minors.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it:  Adam Hall is the starting second baseman on our next winning team.

29 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

And if he turns out to be comparable to Trea Turner, it would be amazing. Turner has a fair amount of pop for a guy who can steal 40 bases a year when healthy.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

His OBP is .80 points higher than his (very good) batting average. While his walk rate of 8 percent is a little below the league average, he has been hit by 19 pitches which is 3rd in the South Atlantic League. Not sure whether that is a skill that will translate to higher levels of the minors.

After a quick scan through current MLB leaders minor league stats it looks like the HBP does translate, for the most part.

Also interesting to see how much more NL players get hit than AL players. The league as a whole has been hit about 100 more times and the person hit the most (Dietrich) has been hit 9 more times (23) than Trouts 14.