DL Hall 2019

weams

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Decent outing tonight, 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 7 K’s.   Walks still keeping him from getting deep in games (93 pitches in 5 IP).

I thought he looked pretty good. 2 of the walks were in the 2nd inning where batters really battled fouling off a bunch of two strike pitches. Started to get his pitch count up.

in the 4th, where he had his other two walks, not sure if he was mentally or physically fatigued, he seemed to be off balance and very wild. He worked out of it scoreless though.

He looked great in his final inning.

I’m no expert, but I think an offseason of improving his lower body strength will really help his consistency. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, LookinUp said:

I was pretty adamant about not moving Grayson R. above Hall in the prospect rankings. The level does make a difference, and Hall's raw stuff is really powerful and left handed. However, the continued command issues Hall is having, combined with Grayson's overall excellent profile, is beginning to change my mind. Where they're ranked in 2019 won't matter in the long run, but right now I think Hall probably slips to #3 in our system.

Right now I would have Rodriguez over Hall at this stage.

• Upvote 1

The positive thing is Hall has been very hard to hit. It's really just the walk increase that's a concern this year. It's way too early to start making any decisions on his future role, but if the command doesn't improve significantly his profile could shift to closer at some point.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The positive thing is Hall has been very hard to hit. It's really just the walk increase that's a concern this year. It's way too early to start making any decisions on his future role, but if the command doesn't improve significantly his profile could shift to closer at some point.

Has his command gotten worse this season, or are batters just chasing less balls out of the zone in A+?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Has his command gotten worse this season, or are batters just chasing less balls out of the zone in A+?

I haven't seen him and very little video since the Carolina League is the worse for video coverage of their teams. I'm going to try and go see him this month though.

• Upvote 1

Heard on the radio that they are trying to get Hall to work on his weaknesses more. Has probably already been brought up and no clue if it’s true but I hope that’s the case.

Despite his command struggles still a pretty good year.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:50 PM, survivedc said:

Heard on the radio that they are trying to get Hall to work on his weaknesses more. Has probably already been brought up and no clue if it’s true but I hope that’s the case.

Despite his command struggles still a pretty good year.

This is an excerpt from an article of Steve Melewski's as he was talking to Norfolk manager Gary Kendall specifically about Keegan Akin this year. Seems like Chris Holt has a certain plan he would like followed for developing secondary pitches in the MiL. Guess that would explain some of the walk totals this year. 

“We had him at Bowie and he’s really developed his secondary pitches and his breaking ball. His fastball is not overpowering, but he’s got good riding action and gets a lot of strikeouts with his fastball. I think with (director of pitching development) Chris Holt and the program they put him on, they wanted him to develop his other pitches. He’s making pitches in crucial counts that were always fastballs last year and now it’s maybe a 3-1 changeup where he gets a ground ball. A 3-2 breaking ball to a lefty hitter. Things he didn’t do last year. You have to utilize pitches in so-called fastball counts.

• Upvote 2

Hall, 20, essentially checked all those same boxes last year at Delmarva, when he had a 2.10 ERA and got better as his first full season went along. 

However, he's battled his command this year at High-A Frederick. His 42 walks in 53 2/3 innings entering the Futures Game are the same amount he had in 94 1/3 innings all of last season. But his strikeouts are way up — he's already fanned 80 after striking out 100 in 2018 — and his opponents’ batting average is nearly identical at .210 compared with .203 in 2018. The walks explain most of the long innings and short outings that account for his 3.86 ERA.

"He's been working all year on very simple things, and I think at times perhaps things get a little too complicated for him in terms of what he's trying to do," Holt said. "So, the whole point of his work is to simplify the in-game goals and to really work to go after guys on four or less pitches, period. For him, I feel like he wastes a lot of his pitches trying to do too much at times, whereas he has the stuff to just flat-out go after guys, especially at this level. Nobody hits him when he's in the zone, but I wouldn't mind if he gave up a few more hits just attacking through the zone and forcing swings.

"He's worked on all of these things, and developmentally, he's done a lot of really solid work this year. The ERA notwithstanding, it's been very solid on his part."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-futures-game-20190705-story.html

• Upvote 1