Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not going to try and convince you I was watching the game but had enough time elapsed that Hyde could get someone else up and warmed up?  Can't be putting someone in that isn't warmed up right?

If you’re referring to last night,  Means went south in a hurry, and that can’t be blamed on Hyde at all.

But he seems to leave  his starters in too long. At the beginning of the year I was really happy that he was being pretty strict with them, and after a certain number of innings or pitches, they came out and that was that. 

Now he doesn’t seem as eager to do that.Now he doesn’t seem as eager to do that.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say this about Hyde and Davis and the ugly confrontation...

In no way do I think that it wasn't Davis' ineptitude and maybe nonchalance that was the (valid) reason for the whole episode. I'm not letting him off the hook at all.

Hyde said in the presser that (paraphrasing) "We had words back and forth, and it got heated." In the short MASN video you can see a split second where Hyde points his finger at Davis, moves his whole body towards Davis saying something, emphasizing a point. That's when Davis erupts, and that's when Hyde goes down the tunnel.

No matter whether Hyde was in the right calling him out for who knows what... Hyde let the situation get out of control. Let his emotions get the better of him. And that's in the middle of a game. That's not manager-ly, if you know what I mean. A rookie mistake even. I'd second guess that.

WE will NEVER know exactly what was said or what it was about, but it clouds my view of Hyde at least 10%. Still a big supporter but a little more wary than I was Tuesday.

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

In no way do I think that it wasn't Davis' ineptitude and maybe nonchalance that was the (valid) reason for the whole episode. I'm not letting him off the hook at all.

Hyde said in the presser that (paraphrasing) "We had words back and forth, and it got heated." In the short MASN video you can see a split second where Hyde points his finger at Davis, moves his whole body towards Davis saying something, emphasizing a point. That's when Davis erupts, and that's when Hyde goes down the tunnel.

No matter whether Hyde was in the right calling him out for who knows what... Hyde let the situation get out of control. Let his emotions get the better of him. And that's in the middle of a game. That's not manager-ly, if you know what I mean. A rookie mistake even. I'd second guess that.

WE will NEVER know exactly what was said or what it was about, but it clouds my view of Hyde at least 10%. Still a big supporter but a little more wary than I was Tuesday.

Well said!

Yes, we are left with supposition and conjecture over the boiling point.  *But, it doesn't seem accurate to say he pulled Davis from the game before the helmet bouncing that doesn't not appear on camera (if that is what it was).  Hyde must have been pissed at Davis for something he did in game to remove him at that point.  Davis probably threw the helmet he was wearing as a reaction to being replaced in the lineup and blew up.  Then Hyde lost it (venting all of his frustrations at Davis and the team's performance vs one of the league's best and national audiences).  But, as you say, we will be left to wonder and let the soap opera continue.  This has been a nice pause on an otherwise empty day baseball-wise!  ?

*Per Roch:

Whether Hyde reacted to something Davis did in the field - flipping the ball with his glove for an out or being slow to chase a foul ball near the screen - or said in the dugout that led to a response, which ignited the first baseman, remained a mystery tonight.

The decision to pinch-hit for Davis was made following the altercation.

“I took him out of the game. We had words and I took him out of the game,” Hyde said.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/hyde-were-going-to-keep-it-in-house.html

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

Terrible take

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m sure I’ll get grief for this, but why didn’t he use Harvey tonight? He only threw 11 pitches last night. 

Have at it. 

Has Harvey been used in any back to back situations this year (even in the minors)?  Maybe they are just trying to get him to the end of the season without any injuries and they'll worry about building his resilience up next spring.  

27 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m sure I’ll get grief for this, but why didn’t he use Harvey tonight? He only threw 11 pitches last night. 

Have at it. 

They are on the record as saying he won't be used on back to back days in September.

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

They are on the record as saying he won't be used on back to back days in September.

Yeah, I remember that, but don’t like it. The reason why would be as I said, the previous night he had a relatively easy outing only throwing 11 pitches.

Otoh, it could be Hyde is an evil genius who knew the odds of them winning increased if he used Harvey.

Archived