Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

i agree, but I am not going to beat up Elias either, he has the difficulty of working on this year's roster and the future at the same time.

But why Wotherspoon over Ynoa?  Makes no sense. Elias gave Hyde a fresh arm but it was a dude that couldn’t even get a MLB ST invite. Wotherspoon was likely the worst reliever slated for AAA and there might not even be a spot for him there. 

It was a BS move from a GM who clearly thinks the only way he can build a team is by getting multiple #1 draft picks. There’s more ways to rebuild than just losing as many games as possible. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias has done Hyde no favors in making sure we have a fresh arm in the pen. Wotherspoon over Ynoa or Yefry was a joke. 

Ynoa is out of options.    Put him on the roster and you can’t send him back down without exposing him to waivers.    That move would have made no sense for a one-day call-up.    Yefry would have been an OK move.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ynoa is out of options.    Put him on the roster and you can’t send him back down without exposing him to waivers.    That move would have made no sense for a one-day call-up.    Yefry would have been an OK move.  

Yeah, although whoever you decide to option you have to be good with the fact that you don't have them for 10 days. I think Elias looked at the roster and decided maybe he could figure out a way to keep Jackson, who wasn't playing anyway. 

The other choice would have been to option Rickard, your only other real CF option (other than a theoretical Jackson). 10 days is a long time to be without one of your main position players. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree, and Ynoa is likely to end up starting some games for us this year if he stays healthy. I would leave him in Norfolk until we're ready to have him up here permanently.

Calling up Yefry would have been fine but I think he was being extra cautious because of the 10-day rule. 

23 minutes ago, TGO said:

Agree, and Ynoa is likely to end up starting some games for us this year if he stays healthy. I would leave him in Norfolk until we're ready to have him up here permanently.

Calling up Yefry would have been fine but I think he was being extra cautious because of the 10-day rule. 

I agree with that and I’m fine with the Wotherspoon move.    Not going to lose sleep over who spends one day on our roster.   

Just now, interloper said:

One Hyde move I really like: not being overly committed to Mullins in the leadoff spot. I feel like Buck would have stuck with him for a month up there.

This is a good point.  He does deserve some praise for this certainly.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But why Wotherspoon over Ynoa?  Makes no sense. Elias gave Hyde a fresh arm but it was a dude that couldn’t even get a MLB ST invite. Wotherspoon was likely the worst reliever slated for AAA and there might not even be a spot for him there. 

It was a BS move from a GM who clearly thinks the only way he can build a team is by getting multiple #1 draft picks. There’s more ways to rebuild than just losing as many games as possible. 

I think you have gone a bit over the top.

Give Elias some time before you burn him at the stake.

50 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think you have gone a bit over the top.

Give Elias some time before you burn him at the stake.

I respect your opinion. Some people wanna give the dude carte Blanche the next three years. I on the other hand follow this team enough, like most on here, to know that having Arajuo on this team at the beginning of the year was a joke. Burned out our pitching staff. Then calling up Wotherspoon was a joke. 

I gotta hold the guy to some type of standard. I just can’t evaluate the guy on how well he losses. 

And to sit there and worry about Ynoa is kind of a joke too. I like the dude, but he’s to the point where he needs to come up and get results or hit the road. Dude has had several chances with two organizations over the years, and a good ST. People gotta stop thinking these players are so soft. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I respect your opinion. Some people wanna give the dude carte Blanche the next three years. I on the other hand follow this team enough, like most on here, to know that having Arajuo on this team at the beginning of the year was a joke. Burned out our pitching staff. Then calling up Wotherspoon was a joke. 

I gotta hold the guy to some type of standard. I just can’t evaluate the guy on how well he losses. 

And to sit there and worry about Ynoa is kind of a joke too. I like the dude, but he’s to the point where he needs to come up and get results or hit the road. Dude has had several chances with two organizations over the years, and a good ST. People gotta stop thinking these players are so soft. 

I dont want to give him 3 years carte blanche.

But, I am willing to give him a bit of a honeymoon period, he got dealt a very crappy hand.

Most of these guys are not the future of this time, and just stop gap measures until they can bring in better pieces.

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont want to give him 3 years carte blanche.

But, I am willing to give him a bit of a honeymoon period, he got dealt a very crappy hand.

Me too.   And judging anything in baseball based on a 10-game stretch is foolish.   I don’t assume Elias walks on water, but most of his moves so far can’t really be evaluated yet.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Me too.   And judging anything in baseball based on a 10-game stretch is foolish.   I don’t assume Elias walks on water, but most of his moves so far can’t really be evaluated yet.    

He’s made some good waiver pickups to address the position player depth. Keeping Arajuo over a shuttle pitcher really taxed the pitching staff and cost us Drew Jackson. 

I can evaluate that move after 10 games. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s made some good waiver pickups to address the position player depth. Keeping Arajuo over a shuttle pitcher really taxed the pitching staff and cost us Drew Jackson. 

I can evaluate that move after 10 games. 

I agree with this 100%. He tried to keep Arajuo, which I agree with - but he didn't have enough good pitching to cover Arajuo's ineffectiveness. They burn out the pen - and then have to add an extra pitcher and lose Drew Jackson. Elias really need to add some veteran pitching this offseason to provide some innings - especially with how cheap things were this offseason. 

Elias has done some great stuff, but that's obviously an error to me. I'm still a supporter and think he's the right guy for the job, but there really isn't any point in ignoring that.

Archived