Ryan McKenna 2019

Luke-OH

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think RM would qualify as one of our most disappointing prospects in the first half of 2019.  While this is hardly distinguishing himself, I note that RM has an OPS in the .690 area for May and June against, as Luke noted in another thread, a AA league-wise average OPS of .676.

The last 10 games includes two of RM's seven HRs, a batting average over .320 and an OBP over .400.  June was RM's best month in terms of xbhs.  A little improvement in the BB and K ratios, which aren't awful, would go a long way toward improved results (for any hitter, of course including RM).  The last 10 games include a BB ratio near 10% (4 BBs in 41 PAs) and a K ratio under 20% (7 Ks in 41 PAs).  Maybe a corner is being turned ...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I think RM would qualify as one of our most disappointing prospects in the first half of 2019.  While this is hardly distinguishing himself, I note that RM has an OPS in the .690 area for May and June against, as Luke noted in another thread, a AA league-wise average OPS of .676.

The last 10 games includes two of RM's seven HRs, a batting average over .320 and an OBP over .400.  June was RM's best month in terms of xbhs.  A little improvement in the BB and K ratios, which aren't awful, would go a long way toward improved results (for any hitter, of course including RM).  The last 10 games include a BB ratio near 10% (4 BBs in 41 PAs) and a K ratio under 20% (7 Ks in 41 PAs).  Maybe a corner is being turned ...

McKenna is still just 22 and has made progress at every level. Hoping he has a great 2nd half and spring training next season. We could really use a solid version of him in Baltimore.

He has struggled overall this year, but he's still shows flashes that get you excited. He hit a deep home run to the right of center field yesterday that was one of the longest home runs the home announcers had seen in that ball park. It was was on a 92 MPH fastball that he clearly barreled.

Add in his solid defense in center with an above average centerfield arm, and there's still thing to like about him. I'd like to see him have a really good second half and that could offset his disappointing first half.

10 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I read this and was thinking RM was Ryan Mountcastle.   Phew!  

Yes, McKenna has been a huge disappointment.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Kind of frustrating how well Boston has played this year given expectations. And they always seem to have a good farm. 
    • With 2.5 years of control I can't believe the Marlins will shop him for dimes on the dollar. 
    • Luzardo has certainly experienced a down year compared to 2023. He has had some injuries (and currently on IL with a lumbar issue) and his statcast data is worse. The walk rate is still good but the K rate has dropped big time.  He is still missing bats but players aren’t chasing as much. I still think this is a guy that is and will be on the O’s radar, provided that they are comfortable with the medicals. They still would have him for 2 more years as well and he doesn’t turn 27 until the end of September, so you basically will have him for what are historically his peak years. Miami has said they aren’t trading him but I’m not sure I buy that. Outside of 2023, he has had his share of injury issues and he’s a big risk to acquire but he’s also a big risk to keep. The question is, what will Miami need for him to decide to move him?  Right now, his value is obviously way down. If you are Miami do you keep him and hope he gets back healthy, finishes strong and then you trade him for more  in the offseason than you likely can get now or do you cut your losses, get 70ish cents on the dollar and make sure you get something of value? If the Os were to put a deal of Norby, Stowers, Beavers, Tavera and Urias on the table for Luzardo and Nardi, would Miami turn that down?  Would they get a better offer? I think both answers to those questions are maybe. I think he’s a tough one to gauge but the team control and the fact that he is left handed is huge. Get him with our coaches and our program and on a real baseball team and things could be different for him..change of scenery type thing. I was luke warm on acquiring him before because I was worried about his health but if we can get him without trading our absolute best assets, that makes him even make intriguing. Add in getting Nardi and I think this is a package that could help the Os a lot. Its a risk and it certainly hurts some of your depth but it also opens up a door for Mayo and eventually Holliday and it keeps your absolute best prospects here.
    • I would not be surprised to see Boston finishing 2nd in the AL East this season with the Yanks 3rd
    • The O’s will play MLB games in a MiLB ballpark next year.  For those who are thinking “road trip!”, consider this about Sacramento.  While announcers were raving about the weather in Oakland this past weekend, in Sacramento July 5, 6 & 7 daily highs were 108, 110 & 106.  I would imagine day games will be limited.  
    • The Semien pick and the Holmes pick seem to be the two biggest reaches which is interesting since neither were the only rep for their team so there isn't even that logic there.  Josh Smith or Jordan Westburg should have been over Semien (I know they are both primary 3B, but either could play 2B for a couple innings) and Kimbrel of Jansen over Holmes. 
    • Must be fWAR because Westburg has 2.8 rWAR to Semien’s 2.3. And he’s only played 5 less games than Semien. 
  • Popular Contributors