Ryan McKenna 2019

Luke-OH

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he even a lock to be promoted?  Master the level and all that.

Not a lock but I think he has done enough. Not sure Bannon mastered the level and he has really stepped up at AAA. The offensive requirements are lower in center field.

He has added two more singles tonight, his first four hit game of the season. 

I think McKenna has done enough where I’d be fine if they promoted him.    However, whether he does get promoted depends on who makes the Orioles’ roster next spring.    If Hays, Diaz and Mullins are all in Norfolk (which seems likely), the O’s may prefer to leave McKenna so that all four can play OF every day.

8 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

I still believe he will be protected, but I no longer think it is a no brainer based on the baserunning comments after Game 2.  Those comments reflect a manager who is very tired of dealing with McKenna’s issues and who felt quite comfortable being open about it IMHO.  That makes me wonder what is happening behind the scenes.

He's not in the starting line-up tonight.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Interesting series for McKenna.    He batted .636 with a 1.460 OPS, but made critical baserunning mistakes that arguably cost the Baysox game 2 and earned him a benching in game 3.    He came back with a vengeance in game 4, going 3 for 4 with a walk.    

It's hard to stay in the dugout when your post-season OPS is 1.460.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

McKenna might turn into something someday but I don't see protecting a guy who hit .240 in his 2nd try in AA and who most experts, including ours, projects as a 4th OF.   Teams pick Rule 5 guys for either present value or future dividends.  I just don't see anyone picking McKenna if he's left unprotected.

You are underselling McKenna's projection. He projects to have a 4th outfielder floor and a starting centerfielder ceiling. He could easily be the 26th man on a roster next year as a defensive replacement and backup centerfielder, There is some real dreck being slotted into MLB lineups in centerfield. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Hard to argue with this....especially given the guys knocking on the door. It is one thing when you don't have other options, but we have options. 
    • This pick does make me wonder about CF Jackson Holliday perhaps being a thing this off-season. O'Ferrall seems to match the low strikeout Nori Aoki, Adam Frazier kind of thing.     Gunnar would be awfully young to move off SS if O'Ferrall is Mike Bordick. It seems like O'Ferrall's overall value can't get close to surfacing unless he defends SS, so maybe he is just draft day trade bait.
    • We watch Adley all weekend. He looks tired. The 3 games were brutally hot and he caught the first two and DH'ed on Sunday. The weather was brutally hot and humid. Typical Balmer summer days. You have to believe that he gets more time off in the second half, but they are riding him really hard. Yankees were in town. You need his bat in the lineup. I get it.  Let's hope the Allstar Break is an opportunity to chill and refresh. He needs it.
    • That’s why he’s the smartest guy in the room, right?  Did you see ME talking to Honeycutt, had food in his mouth and grinning from ear to ear when handed the phone?  He felt they got a steal for sure.
    • Not that you can’t get talent later in the draft but it’s few and far between. So, this draft likely comes down to 2 things: 1) Can you develop Honeycutt? 2) Becht vs O’Farrell. (If you prefer a different player to Becht, insert name there)  
    • Obviously much has been made of the orioles dire need to add pitching at the deadline as well as our lack of depth in the minor leagues.   Add to that we had another draft last night without drafting a pitcher in the first two rounds. This clearly is an organization strategy.    This got me to thinking, who are our peers around the league utilizing a similar strategy? Elias’ former employer the Houston Astros seem to continue to find gems when their pitching injuries pile up (Ronel Blanco, Hunter brown) Even Arrighetti has been solid. In addition, the Dodgers and Rays are two well run organizations who have also been decimated by pitching injuries but have been able to stay competitive due to lots of depth in their system. Has this strategy been used successfully before?
    • Jim Bowden?  Nice to hear but does anyone put any stock into what he says.      Honeycutt may very well be a dead pull hitter but Bowden is the first I’ve read saying it and, curiously, a few of his highlights are oppo homers.
  • Popular Contributors