Bergesen stellar again!

Big Mac

Through 8 IP: 4H-0ER-0BB-3SO. also 14 GO and only 7 Fly outs.

ERA now 2.71

Do you think he know there is an opening in Baltimore?:D

At the very least he should be moved up to Norfolk and face more experienced hitters.

Bergesen gets through the 9th and has a CG shutout!

final line:

9 IP

6H

0ER

0BB

3SO

He is now 13-3 with a 2.68 ERA. Also won a game at Frederick.

He looks like a good bet to win the Jim Palmer award to me.

final line:

9 IP

6H

0ER

0BB

3SO

Easily, he might be the next starter up.

final line:

9 IP

6H

0ER

0BB

3SO

I really hope the O's give him a call up and start next Tuesday. The man has simply been brilliant this season and he's proven he can go deep in to games with relative ease.

Easily, he might be the next starter up.

It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that this is the same pitcher I saw getting shelled at frederick last summer.

He deserves a promotion, we need two starters to replace Burres and Liz. Penn and Bergesen are my picks.

How does Bergesen compare with Chorye Spoone? When healthy who has the higher upside?

Two completely different pitchers.

Bergesen is a ground ball guy, using his two-seamer to get outs. He lives and dies in the strike zone. Spoone possesses a lively fastball with a darn good curveball. Scouts I've talked to have pretty much said that Spoone - if he can master control of his fastball - projects as a top of the rotation starter. Bergesen, meanwhile, will challenge hitters in the strike zone and eat up innings.

Two completely different pitchers.

Bergesen is a ground ball guy, using his two-seamer to get outs. He lives and dies in the strike zone. Spoone possesses a lively fastball with a darn good curveball. Scouts I've talked to have pretty much said that Spoone - if he can master control of his fastball - projects as a top of the rotation starter. Bergesen, meanwhile, will challenge hitters in the strike zone and eat up innings.

Sounds like Paul Byrd might be a fair ML comparison for Bergesen.

Sounds like Paul Byrd might be a fair ML comparison for Bergesen.

I think Bergesen's got more velocity (he can actually hit low 90's, where Byrd lives in the mid to upper 80's), but as far as style of pitching, I like this comp.

I think Bergesen's got more velocity (he can actually hit low 90's, where Byrd lives in the mid to upper 80's), but as far as style of pitching, I like this comp.

Yes, Bergesen was actually hitting 91-93 MPH on the stadium gun last night.

Dude has been amazingly consistent - his highest monthly ERA is 3.03 this season. But he has had trouble against lefty hitters - giving up a .312 BA against them vs 1.94 against righties. Don't have him in there against a tough lefty hitter in a key situation. I wonder why he was so hittable at Frederick last year.

1970 posted in another thread a compelling case as to why Bergesen, based on his peripherals may be largely unsuccessful in the Majors. I'm a bit busy and dont remember the thread but I will try to dig it up later if I have a chance. I'm not saying dont give him a shot, but its a long shot.

Archived