Keepers - Foundation Blocks or Trade Bait

Roll Tide

I’m looking st the current group of young guys and trying to determine who you can keep or trade.

There was speculation that an outlet was suggesting locking up Mancini early. I personally have suggested Villar as he’s still young and I love his style of play.

Alberto seems to have a plus hit tool but is he a solid enough defender to hold down a starting position and play solid defense.

so far for me ... I’d say keep and extend Villar and Mancini. Alberto would be extended early if he can settle in and play good defense somewhere. 

I see that Martin is starting to hit and hope he can continue to trend upward.

There is a situation with Mancini, Davis, Nunez and Mouncastle.  One of them probably gets traded this off season to fill other holes.

Hays, Diaz, McKenna, Smith, Santander right now seem like the future outfield.

I am not much into extending anyone at this point.

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

I don't think there is anyone currently on the 25 man that is a foundation block.  They're all either trade bait or spare parts.

Mancini and Villar are going to be in their 30’s before this team is ready to contend. Givens is 29 and likely getting traded. 

Anyone that matters when this team makes the playoffs is in the minor leagues, college or not yet graduated high school. 

I like Trey Mancini. He's an easy player to like. I want him to be part of the next winning Orioles team but realistically, it's not likely. We have a number of players for 1B/DH and while he's looked a bit better in OF this year, that's one area of strength in the minors.

Of the players currently in the Majors, I think Nunez and Smith are the most likely to be here when we're good again (and maybe an arm or two? Means? Phillips? Fry?)

I think Nunez has a better chance because he's got another pre-arb year and Mancini is playing well enough he could provide some good trade value. As much as I like him, if some team is willing to give a couple solid upside prospects, I take the deal.   

14 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I like Trey Mancini. He's an easy player to like. I want him to be part of the next winning Orioles team but realistically, it's not likely. We have a number of players for 1B/DH and while he's looked a bit better in OF this year, that's one area of strength in the minors.

Of the players currently in the Majors, I think Nunez and Smith are the most likely to be here when we're good again (and maybe an arm or two? Means? Phillips? Fry?)

I think Nunez has a better chance because he's got another pre-arb year and Mancini is playing well enough he could provide some good trade value. As much as I like him, if some team is willing to give a couple solid upside prospects, I take the deal.   

I really like Mancini too, but we as fans need to think rationally about him. If Elias can swing a trade that will land prospects that will be with the team in 5 years, you have to make that trade.

Mancini has a sweet swing and always hustles, but he is a 1B/DH type and his value will likely diminsh as he enters his 30's. 

Assuming we may be able to challenge for the playoffs by 2023 (I cannot see how beforehand), I imagine any player listed below that was born in 1992 or earlier is unlikely to be still with us by then. I would not be shocked to look at our roster in four years and note the none of the players currently on the roster are still with us.  I hope Elias deals Mancini, Villar, Givens and others in order to net some quality prospects, sooner rather than later. 

Here's the current roster, according to MLB.com:

Pitchers

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
43   Shawn Armstrong R/R 6'2" 225lbs 9/11/90
37   Dylan Bundy S/R 6'1" 200lbs 11/15/92
54   Andrew Cashner R/R 6'6" 235lbs 9/11/86
50   Miguel Castro R/R 6'7" 205lbs 12/24/94
51   Paul Fry L/L 6'0" 190lbs 7/26/92
60   Mychal Givens R/R 6'0" 210lbs 5/13/90
41   David Hess R/R 6'2" 180lbs 7/10/93
52   Branden Kline R/R 6'3" 210lbs 9/29/91
67   John Means L/L 6'3" 230lbs 4/24/93
58   Evan Phillips R/R 6'2" 215lbs 9/11/94
32   Yefry Ramirez R/R 6'2" 215lbs 11/28/93
53   Dan Straily R/R 6'2" 220lbs 12/1/88
64   Gabriel Ynoa R/R 6'2" 205lbs 5/26/93

Catchers

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
28   Pedro Severino R/R 6'1" 219lbs 7/20/93
61   Austin Wynns R/R 6'2" 205lbs 12/10/90

Infield

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
57   Hanser Alberto R/R 5'11" 215lbs 10/17/92
19   Chris Davis L/R 6'3" 230lbs 3/17/86
1   Richie Martin R/R 5'11" 190lbs 12/22/94
39   Renato Nunez R/R 6'1" 220lbs 4/4/94
14   Rio Ruiz L/R 6'1" 215lbs 5/22/94
2   Jonathan Villar S/R 6'1" 215lbs 5/2/91
12   Stevie Wilkerson S/R 6'1" 195lbs 1/11/92

Outfield

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
16   Trey Mancini R/R 6'4" 215lbs 3/18/92
23   Joey Rickard R/L 6'1" 185lbs 5/21/91
35   Dwight Smith Jr L/R 6'0" 210lbs 10/26/92

2 hours ago, esmd said:

I don't think there is anyone currently on the 25 man that is a foundation block.  They're all either trade bait or spare parts.

There isn't a lot to get excited about on this team. Everyone will be past 30 and on a decline by the time the O's realistically have a shot at competing. 

I'd be open to extending Mancini just because they do need someone to play and his contributions to the team probably exceed whatever he'd bring back in a trade, which I don't think would be anything impressive. I also don't think he'd be terribly expensive.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Anyone that matters when this team makes the playoffs is in the minor leagues, college or not yet graduated high school. 

By the time they're contending they'll acquire a few established players from outside the organization who are a little older than that.  Not even the Rays are all home-grown.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

There isn't a lot to get excited about on this team. Everyone will be past 30 and on a decline by the time the O's realistically have a shot at competing. 

I'd be open to extending Mancini just because they do need someone to play and his contributions to the team probably exceed whatever he'd bring back in a trade, which I don't think would be anything impressive. I also don't think he'd be terribly expensive.

Mancini is a DH/1B guy who has had inconsistent results.  I think extending him would be a horrible decision.  We have Mountcastle coming up to play first. I don't think Mancini in the outfield leads to a winning formula.  You can pick up guys like Mancini cheap on 1 year deals.  No reason to make the same mistake twice. 

I think the sad fact is we don't have anyone to build around currently on the team.  Hopefully Mountcastle is the first piece and then whomever we draft #1 this year and next should be other cornerstones hopefully. 

I think we're all a bit too dismissive about Mancini.  I get that the in thing is to be down on one dimensional, DH/1B types but if Mancini is really hitting like he can this year...find a way to keep him.  

I'm not saying he's definitely a piece but I'd like to see how the rest of this season plays out.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we're all a bit too dismissive about Mancini.  I get that the in thing is to be down on one dimensional, DH/1B types but if Mancini is really hitting like he can this year...find a way to keep him.  

I'm not saying he's definitely a piece but I'd like to see how the rest of this season plays out 

Even if he has a big season you don't extend him.  It could be his career year.  If had consistent results or he was younger I would be willing to take a chance on him.   He is 27 and had a .710 OPS last season.   He has 2 more years of team control after this season.  By the time he is a free agent he will be 30.   I would certainly keep him on the team unless we are blown away with an offer. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Even if he has a big season you don't extend him.  It could be his career year.  If had consistent results or he was younger I would be willing to take a chance on him.   He is 27 and had a .710 OPS last season.   He has 2 more years of team control after this season.  By the time he is a free agent he will be 30.   I would certainly keep him on the team unless we are blown away with an offer. 

I never said anything about extending him.  And again, he was hurt last year.  

I am thinking that the real Mancini is somewhere between where he currently is and his rookie year.  

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Assuming we may be able to challenge for the playoffs by 2023 (I cannot see how beforehand), I imagine any player listed below that was born in 1992 or earlier is unlikely to be still with us by then. I would not be shocked to look at our roster in four years and note the none of the players currently on the roster are still with us.  I hope Elias deals Mancini, Villar, Givens and others in order to net some quality prospects, sooner rather than later. 

Here's the current roster, according to MLB.com:

I just realized I'm older than everyone on the 25-man roster, that's a first for me.

Archived