O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Just now, PHRESH said:

That's the only explanation for this pick. Don't hate the kid, and I'll root for him, but... Weird. 

I agree.  I mean, it's like the outfield version of Hobgood.

Hope the kid plays well but...man, this is extremely disappointing.

I really hope Elias and Sig and their magic fairy dust are right on this one.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The main issue I have with this strategy is what if other teams select your overslot targets?

I'm sure they have a few that they think will be there.  There's gotta be like 9 or 10 guys that they project that'll be at either spot or both for this strategy to make sense.

Man, I'm really bummed.  

No one can argue with a straight face that Kjerstad was best player available. He hit .319 in the SEC last year. Martin hit .424. Kjerstad struck out 65 times and walked 21 last year. Martin walked more than he struck out. Kjerstad is a corner OF. Martin will play CF, 3b and/or 2b. Kjerstad was rated about 10th on most mocks and player rankings. Martin was 1 or 2. So, we have decided that getting the best player available at 30 is more important than finding the best player available at #2.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I mean, it's like the outfield version of Hobgood.

Hope the kid plays well but...man, this is extremely disappointing.

I really hope Elias and Sig and their magic fairy dust are right on this one.

He was such an unexpected pick I don't know him well enough to throw that label on him.

I loathed the Hobgood pick as soon as it was made.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure they have a few that they think will be there.  There's gotta be like 9 or 10 guys that they project that'll be at either spot or both for this strategy to make sense.

Man, I'm really bummed.  

But to pick this kid, here, they have to have one or two really singled out.  You don't make this move with a list 10 deep.