O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

7 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

Would you take 70/70 hit tool and discipline or less than 70/70 power?

Also, Bailey to the Giants is super odd, right?

In a vacuum, of course I take the hit tool. But obviously, they are both more than just that single discipline. And of course, there’s some strategy behind it that hopefully works out in our favor. 

I understand people are surprised/disappointed by the pick. But I don’t mind it at all. 

Heston was spectacular this year pre-COVID, and he was outstanding for Team USA. Not that Martin isn’t an excellent player as well, but I just wasn’t as high on him as other people.

Just now, SteveA said:

Red Sox (who don't have a 2nd round pick due to the cheating), just took a HS 2Bman who is rated around #100 in the draft.

Definitely no way he has a chance of working out because Jonathan Mayo didn't have him rated at the same slot.

FO people in Boston obviously have no clue about the "real" big board on MLB.com.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

In a vacuum, of course I take the hit tool. But obviously, they are both more than just that single discipline. And of course, there’s some strategy behind it that hopefully works out in our favor. 

I understand people are surprised/disappointed by the pick. But I don’t mind it at all. 

Heston was spectacular this year pre-COVID, and he was outstanding for Team USA. Not that Martin isn’t an excellent player as well, but I just wasn’t as high on him as other people.

This year was a very small sample size, and I believe this pick was a case of recency bias. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

We lack talent everywhere.  But I was hoping we could get a guy like Martin or at least Gonzales.

That’s fair. I totally see where you’re coming from. Hopefully we are able to add a better overall group of talent with this strategy. Because we certainly need it. 

But with that said, Kjerstad had much better OBP and fewer strikeouts this truncated season at Arkansas and with Team USA this past summer. It’s a surprising pick and certainly a bit of a reach, but if he would have kept that same torrid pace up this season, it wouldn’t have been. 

I don’t feel like this is a Hobgood situation. 

I am just fine with the pick. I don’t think any of the top guys were real difference makers like a Harper or Strasburg. I think the real value is going to be in those next two picks.  There are some really good high school kids that are going to be available there that have signability issues but the money saved can give them a real chance to sign them.