O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Of course we need to see how these guys pan out.  They could be great.  They could be not so great.

But you can't look at this draft so far and say that the Orioles have picked the best player, or one of the best players available at that pick.  

I can look at it and say they haven't picked who the mock drafters have said was the best pick. That's certainly true. But 98% of those guys know about as much about these players as your or I do. Which isn't a lot. That's about all.

And since I'm not in the Orioles Draft HQ, I can't say one way or the other that the O's picked the guy at the top of their own board. These are impossible things to know. So I don't bother getting all worked up about them. And since this isn't the NBA or NFL, none of these guys are walking on the field right away - so we aren't going to get answers any time in the near future. So I just don't see the reason to flip out over the whole thing and make baseless accusations towards the FO and organization.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I would imagine Elias and his team have already identified what guys from the old management team in the system they're ready to move on from, permanently.

I assume so.  I figure just looking at high draft picks from 2018-2020, you are looking at needing spots for all of Neustrom,  Stowers, Rizer,  Watson, Kjerstad  and Hankin in A and A+ ball.  Doesn't leave much room for more fringe guys, but I guess that's the point of contraction...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Complaining is a healthy response when you believe you are being screwed.

If it makes you feel any better, the Rangers wound up being the first team to draft a guy that MLB Network didn't seem to have any video on. That's an accomplishment.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I can look at it and say they haven't picked who the mock drafters have said was the best pick. That's certainly true. But 98% of those guys know about as much about these players as your or I do. Which isn't a lot. That's about all.

And since I'm not in the Orioles Draft HQ, I can't say one way or the other that the O's picked the guy at the top of their own board. These are impossible things to know. So I don't bother getting all worked up about them. And since this isn't the NBA or NFL, none of these guys are walking on the field right away - so we aren't going to get answers any time in the near future. So I just don't see the reason to flip out over the whole thing and make baseless accusations towards the FO and organization.

First of all, no.  You and I don't know as much as 98% of the mock drafters.  Those guys do this for a living, you (I'm assuming) and I do not.  Like, they watch these guys all year long.

Second, we're not in the Orioles draft HQ so you're right, we don't know if the O's picked the guy at the top of their board.  Certainly, they did with Kjerstad because..well, only one player was ahead of them.  They could have taken anyone.  And there's no real good explanation for that pick.  He's a good player but not the best player available.  Elias, however, seems to think he was, which is puzzling.  Even if you wanted to prioritize defense first, there were plenty of other outfield options available that were better defenders.  

We're here to discuss the draft and what we think of it.  We're here to discuss the Orioles and what they do, each day and every day.  We've been doing it for years.  Sometimes we agree and rejoice, sometimes we're frustrated with them.  A lot of the time we disagree with one another.

Which is happening here.  I disagree with you, mostly.  I agree that we aren't going to get answers on this draft for awhile.  But I disagree that we've taken the best talent we could have at each spot.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

First of all, no.  You and I don't know as much as 98% of the mock drafters.  Those guys do this for a living, you (I'm assuming) and I do not.  Like, they watch these guys all year long.

Second, we're not in the Orioles draft HQ so you're right, we don't know if the O's picked the guy at the top of their board.  Certainly, they did with Kjerstad because..well, only one player was ahead of them.  They could have taken anyone.  And there's no real good explanation for that pick.  He's a good player but not the best player available.  Elias, however, seems to think he was, which is puzzling.  Even if you wanted to prioritize defense first, there were plenty of other outfield options available that were better defenders.  

We're here to discuss the draft and what we think of it.  We're here to discuss the Orioles and what they do, each day and every day.  We've been doing it for years.  Sometimes we agree and rejoice, sometimes we're frustrated with them.  A lot of the time we disagree with one another.

Which is happening here.  I disagree with you, mostly.  I agree that we aren't going to get answers on this draft for awhile.  But I disagree that we've taken the best talent we could have at each spot.  

And there is the money issue.  Even if Kjerstad was at the top of the board he shouldn't take near slot to sign.  None of the other picks so far look to be overslot so where is the money going?

I find it very hard to fathom that the O's pick the BPA every round and end up with a million+ unspent.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That the O's don't want to spend $13,894,300 on players.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure the crack reporters up there will be all over them if they don't.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember when Frobby said the O's were going to go up in the farm rankings after this draft?

Good times.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Orioles, redefining the impossible.

Being a disagreeable message board hater is not, in fact, the same as a personality.