Austin Hays 2019

Frobby

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

IIRC, someone got uppity at you for that.  

A few did, MurpDogg and Frobby specifically. The snarkiness was uncalled for IMO.  I made an educated guess on the length Hays would be out based on the description of the injury,  a lifetime of watching MLB hamstring injuries, and my own personal experiences with it.  You don't reach in agony for the back of your leg on a "tweak".  I've pulled my hammy before (literally running out a grounder to the shortstop where I got thrown out).  Grade two.  Two weeks before I could walk normally and then  a week or two of rehab.  Add some rest (1-2 weeks) on top of that after fully healed to limit the chance of reaggravation if you are playing professional baseball.   

I wasn't jumping to conclusions.  I hope we see Hays again before the end of July.  But I wouldn't bet on it.  Another lost season for him.  

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

A few did, MurpDogg and Frobby specifically. The snarkiness was uncalled for IMO.  I made an education guess on the length Hays would be out based on the description of the injury,  a lifetime of watching MLB hamstring injuries, and my own personal experiences with it.  You don't reach in agony for the back of your leg on a "tweak".  I've pulled my hammy before (literally running out a grounder to the shortstop where I got thrown out).  Grade two.  Two weeks before I could walk normally and then  a week or two of rehab.  Add some rest (1-2 weeks) on top of that after fully healed to limit the chance of reaggravation if you are playing professional baseball.   

I wasn't jumping to conclusions.  I hope we see Hays again before the end of July.  But I wouldn't bet on it.  Another lost season for him.  

Hopefully it's not a "lost season" but I think we can certainly call it an "injury marred" season at the very least.

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

A few did, MurpDogg and Frobby specifically. The snarkiness was uncalled for IMO.  

I didn’t think my comment was all that snarky, but I apologize if it came out that way.    All I was saying was we didn’t know the severity of Hays’ injury at the time, and thus shouldn’t make assumptions about how long he’d be out.    But it appears your assumption turned out to be correct, which is too bad.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t think my comment was all that snarky, but I apologize if it came out that way.    All I was saying was we didn’t know the severity of Hays’ injury at the time, and thus shouldn’t make assumptions about how long he’d be out.    But it appears your assumption turned out to be correct, which is too bad.   

Yeah, it wasn't.  Snarky may be overstating.  No need to apologize.  But aren't assumptions and speculation kind of what we do on this board?  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree with Frobby here. My only issue was that you declared it a minimum of two weeks based on a tweet that he grabbed his leg. While you may yet be correct, I don't think entirely speculative armchair diagnoses like that raise the level of discourse on the board.

40 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I agree with Frobby here. My only issue was that you declared it a minimum of two weeks based on a tweet that he grabbed his leg. While you may yet be correct, I don't think entirely speculative armchair diagnoses like that raise the level of discourse on the board.

But it wasn't entirely speculative.  It was clearly a hamstring injury based on the description of what happened.  There is nothing wrong with me or others speculating on how long he might be out. 

I think snippy responses raise the level of discourse more so than someone making a (not baseless) prediction, even if it's not for a favorable outcome.  

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

But it wasn't entirely speculative.  It was clearly a hamstring injury based on the description of what happened.  There is nothing wrong with me or others speculating on how long he might be out. 

I think snippy responses raise the level of discourse more so than someone making a (not baseless) prediction, even if it's not for a favorable outcome.  

It’s fine.   Your original post didn’t offend my sensibilities, and as I said, I apologize if my response came off as snarky.   

Let’s just hope Hays isn’t out too long.    

On 6/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, vatech1994 said:

http://tinypic.com/r/91b87p/9

I wish somebody could report specifics on stuff like this.  Reporters can see the guy in the locker room.  Does he have blood in the back of the leg like that picture?  I had been lucky to never pull a hammy during all the time that I played sports until I did this at the Orioles fantasy camp in 2016.  It felt like a bad pinch when I did it, but that thing bothered me for a long time afterward.  I was able to limp around for the rest of the week and keep playing, but there is no way I would have been able to play in a really competitive league for at least a month.  I can still feel it at times and I’ve definitely lost flexibility and speed as a result (and I really didn’t have any speed to lose, lol).

They don’t need to take the picture or show the picture, but a simple trip to the training room would get you the answer as to whether he tore it enough to cause blood pooling.  I’m guessing he did.  That is not good.

Reporters are not allowed in training rooms at any level and the Orioles under Elias keep their injury news very, very close hold.