Trumbo begins rehab games tomorrow

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The probability that Trumbo produces anything is near zero. He’s very likely to be back on IL within weeks of getting called up.

What on Trumbo’s medical chart tells you this, and why are you qualified to read it?

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also I doubt the return other teams would offer up for Mancini would make it worth trading him.

[internet disclaimer]You have to be willing to listen to offers on anybody in the organization, because you never know if the other team is crazy and desperate and willing to throw three top hundred prospects at Trey Mancini.[/internet disclaimer]

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Giving Trumbo ABs at DH hurts nothing. 

Trumbo - DH

Davis - 1B

Mancini - RF

Nunez - 3B

Stewart - CF

What’s the big deal?  

I didn't even know we were staging a summer stock performance of 1988 Orioles, The Musical with Stewart playing the role of Ken Gerhart.

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Giving Trumbo ABs at DH hurts nothing. 

Trumbo - DH

Davis - 1B

Mancini - RF

Nunez - 3B

Stewart - CF

What’s the big deal?  

This would probably be the worst defensive alignment we've used all year, right?

I mean, it will just make us more likely to lose and more likely to put our pitchers in harm's way I guess.    I can't really quantify how 'big of a deal' that is.   It certainly makes us more likely to lock up 1:1 in the 2020 draft.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What on Trumbo’s medical chart tells you this, and why are you qualified to read it?

I am an entomological surgeon and was asked to consult on his case. I recommended contract amputation.  ?

I am basing my opinion on all of the  articles that provided tidbits on his injury and rehab since last season. I am basing my opinion on the fact that he is 33 years old and played in 90 games last year and zero this year. Do you really expect Trumbo to remain healthy if he plays? I don’t and I certainly don’t think a contending team would bet much on the probability of a healthy, productive Trumbo, which is the context of the opinion you quoted. 

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

This would probably be the worst defensive alignment we've used all year, right?

I mean, it will just make us more likely to lose and more likely to put our pitchers in harm's way I guess.    I can't really quantify how 'big of a deal' that is.   It certainly makes us more likely to lock up 1:1 in the 2020 draft.

I wonder what the worst defensive alignment in Orioles history was?  It would have to be the last inning of the Lenn Sakata game, right?  Sakata catching for the first time as a pro, Gary Roenicke playing third for the first time in the majors, and John Lowenstein playing second for the first time in eight years.

Starting lineup... without really looking into it my vote goes to this game.  Lineup of C Tettleton, 1B Traber, 2B Billy, SS Cal, 3B Rick Schu, LF Larry Sheets, CF Ken Gerhart, RF Keith Hughes, P Oswaldo Peraza.  The Ripkens were very good, and Traber strangely gets positive love from the metrics, but the rest of the lineup was somewhere between below average and terrifying.  

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder what the worst defensive alignment in Orioles history was?  It would have to be the last inning of the Lenn Sakata game, right?  Sakata catching for the first time as a pro, Gary Roenicke playing third for the first time in the majors, and John Lowenstein playing second for the first time in eight years.

Starting lineup... without really looking into it my vote goes to this game.  Lineup of C Tettleton, 1B Traber, 2B Billy, SS Cal, 3B Rick Schu, LF Larry Sheets, CF Ken Gerhart, RF Keith Hughes, P Oswaldo Peraza.  The Ripkens were very good, and Traber strangely gets positive love from the metrics, but the rest of the lineup was somewhere between below average and terrifying.  

I was thinking closer to 1882.    ;) 

Frankly I expect a bit more from you sir whenever there's an Oriole history question in front of us and there is a chance to reference John McGraw.  heh

15 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I am an entomological surgeon and was asked to consult on his case. I recommended contract amputation.  ?

I am basing my opinion on all of the  articles that provided tidbits on his injury and rehab since last season. I am basing my opinion on the fact that he is 33 years old and played in 90 games last year and zero this year. Do you really expect Trumbo to remain healthy if he plays? I don’t and I certainly don’t think a contending team would bet much on the probability of a healthy, productive Trumbo, which is the context of the opinion you quoted. 

I have no opinion on whether Trumbo will remain healthy or not. Either way, I don’t think he will have any significant trade value.   There’s simply not enough time between now and July 31 for him to show other teams that he’d be an asset.    

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And to think, that team had Jeff Stone in the wings as a def....well, as a replacement of some sort.

(Although, on second thought, perhaps not for that particular game, as he was injured early on and was banished to Rochester basically for the season's balance.)

Just now, Aglets said:

I was thinking closer to 1882.    ;) 

Frankly I expect a bit more from you sir whenever there's an Oriole history question in front of us and there is a chance to reference John McGraw.  heh

Sorry, it's early on a Monday, I whiffed on that one.  I'll give myself an out and say I was referring to compared to their peers.

The 1882 Orioles, the first major league Orioles, did have a defensive efficiency of .601, and averaged 6.7 errors per game.  The 2019 Orioles are sitting on .696 and 0.8.  Individual box scores are unavailable from that far back, but each of the team's pitchers also played the field some.  So you could surely find a game where they had mulitple pitchers playing the field.  So that's probably the answer: a game where a 19-54 team with a .601 DE was playing 2-3 pitchers in the field in a league that would have trouble with today's Shorebirds, playing in a stadium that looks like your local fairgrounds with the grass possibly manicured by goats.

One of the '82 Orioles outfielders was Tom Brown.  He went on to a succesful MLB career, but as a rookie for the O's he had a .718 fielding percentage and 29 errors in a little less than 400 innings.

Archived