There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he still views himself as a top scout.

That being said I don't want him basing his decisions on what the consensus wants.

Yeah if he didn't have a track record of being so awful at draft #1 overalls you might be more likely to trust him.  

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

It’s not my take on Witt I’m concerned with it’s everybody else take and hype on Rutschman. He’s the one everybody is seeming the second coming. I personally have a tough time getting excited about a catcher at 1-1 as well.

Remember the hype on Matt Writers?

There are some frequently mentioned issues with Witt: he’s a year older than the people against whom he’s playing, and there are questions about his hit tool.

there are no questions about Rutschman’s hit tool.

Thete are questions about Vaughn’s defense.

No questions about Rutschman’s defense.

We already have a SS in waiting, no need for a second one, especially when he isn’t the consensus top choice.

It’s fun to discuss and cogitate, but there’s no reason not to take AR, especially for a rookie GM who NEEDS TO GET THIS ONE RIGHT.

How many times did Dan take a guy multiple picks before he was projected to be drafted? Every time? I’m not sure, but more than a few times.

Elias needs to play it safe.

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Hahaha. I can’t believe some of you block atomic. The entertainment value. 

Laugh all you want.  Before Elias started drafting #1 overall picks only 2 guys who were picked #1 overall never made it to the majors. Looks like he will have 2 already. If he gets 3 he will infamous for his ineptitude for many decades.  

Just now, Philip said:

There are some frequently mentioned issues with Witt: he’s a year older than the people against whom he’s playing, and there are questions about his hit tool.

We already have a SS in waiting, no need for a second one, especially when he isn’t the consensus top choice.

It’s fun to discuss and cogitate, but there’s no reason not to take AR, especially for a rookie GM who NEEDS TO GET THIS ONE RIGHT.

How many times did Dan take a guy multiple picks before he was projected to be drafted? Every time? I’m not sure, but more than a few times.

I'm curious who you are talking about.  I think the O's have a number of potential short stops but I couldn't give you one name of a guy that I thought was a sure thing.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he still views himself as a top scout.

That being said I don't want him basing his decisions on what the consensus wants.

Maybe at 1-1 with an organization bereft of franchise changing building blocks it's not a bad idea to go with the consensus.  Generally I agree the statement, but I think we need to cover our losses in this situation.  And covering our losses is taking the near-MLB ready catcher, who's breaking NCAA records. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Who is the SS in waiting?

Archived