2019 GCL Orioles

Enjoy Terror

This is kind of random, but the GCL has to be setting some kind of record for the most games ever postponed, suspended or canceled due to rain.    I know it’s always an issue down there, but this year has been just ridiculous.   Seems like they’re getting disrupted 2-3 days every week.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is kind of random, but the GCL has to be setting some kind of record for the most games ever postponed, suspended or canceled due to rain.    I know it’s always an issue down there, but this year has been just ridiculous.   Seems like they’re getting disrupted 2-3 days every week.  

I'll agree to that.

Some neighbors yards are starting to flood.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Manuel Daza, 22 yo Venezuelan RH reliever called up from DSL2 Orioles and made his GCL debut in the 2nd game.  Struck out the only batter he faced before the game was stopped.  Wonder if any other DSL players will get the call.  Maybe the two older Cubans, Alvarez and Infante?

Alvarez and Del Rosario and De La Rosa would be the 3 most likely candidates I’d guess.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

By my count, as of today, the GCL Orioles have had 11 games effected by rain, including today (Friday).

• Upvote 1

The conventional wisdom is if a High School drafted player is not good enough for a full season club in his first full-season after getting drafted, then he's probably not a future major leaguer.

Now obviously there will be outliers, but I'm willing to bet that's one of the reasons Elias doesn't really see a need for a rookie league team like Bluefield (Advanced rookie).

I'd love to see the breakdown of Highschool players that went to an advanced rookie league during their first full season instead of a full season club and see the % that not only made the big leagues, but had a decent career.

I also would not be surprised to see the draft dropped back to 30 rounds in the next collective bargaining agreement. By doing this it allow more players to be free agents and find better opportunities for playing time.  

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The conventional wisdom is if a High School drafted player is not good enough for a full season club in his first full-season after getting drafted, then he's probably not a future major leaguer.

Now obviously there will be outliers, but I'm willing to bet that's one of the reasons Elias doesn't really see a need for a rookie league team like Bluefield (Advanced rookie).

I'd love to see the breakdown of Highschool players that went to an advanced rookie league during their first full season instead of a full season club and see the % that not only made the big leagues, but had a decent career.

I also would not be surprised to see the draft dropped back to 30 rounds in the next collective bargaining agreement. By doing this it allow more players to be free agents and find better opportunities for playing time.  

Just having a random look at the 2012 Appy League, 17 of their top 100 hitters made it to the majors.   11 of those were either fresh from bring drafted or relatively young international players.    A couple others were slightly older international players.    The only high school guy who was playing there the year after being drafted was Max Kepler, who actually played there two seasons in a row before finally getting to a full season club three years after being drafted.   Talk about an outlier!    

• Upvote 1

The GCL O’s clinched a playoff spot over the weekend and their record stands at 37-14, best in the GCL.   On offense, they are the second oldest team in the league (20.8 compared to 19.4 average) and rank 5th in runs/game and OPS.    Pitching, they are the oldest team by a wide margin (22.1 versus 20.3) and also lead the league in ERA and fewest runs allowed by a wide margin.

Among pitchers who have thrown 20+ innings, Jake Prizina is 3rd in ERA (1.15), Garrett Farmer is 5th (1.27) and Moises Nolasco is 8th (1.75).    Prizina and Farmer are also 1st and 3rd in WHIP.   Prizina is 3rd in total strikeouts while Farmer is 2nd in K/9 among pitchers with 20+ IP.

Lots of GCL O’s hitters are doing pretty well, but nobody really lighting up the league leader board.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The GCL O’s clinched a playoff spot over the weekend and their record stands at 37-14, best in the GCL.   On offense, they are the second oldest team in the league (20.8 compared to 19.4 average) and rank 5th in runs/game and OPS.    Pitching, they are the oldest team by a wide margin (22.1 versus 20.3) and also lead the league in ERA and fewest runs allowed by a wide margin.

Among pitchers who have thrown 20+ innings, Jake Prizina is 3rd in ERA (1.15), Garrett Farmer is 5th (1.27) and Moises Nolasco is 8th (1.75).    Prizina and Farmer are also 1st and 3rd in WHIP.   Prizina is 3rd in total strikeouts while Farmer is 2nd in K/9 among pitchers with 20+ IP.

Lots of GCL O’s hitters are doing pretty well, but nobody really lighting up the league leader board.   

Thanks for the information on player ages, puts their performance in prospective.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks for the information on player ages, puts their performance in prospective.

To put it in further perspective, the GCL O’s pitching staff averages half a year older than the Aberdeen Ironbirds’ staff.    It’s basically comprised of college guys who were deemed not good enough for Aberdeen.   Having said that, it’s still possible some of those pitchers will be nuggets.    It will be interesting to see if any of them jump to Delmarva next year.    

Younger guys of interest include 19 year old LHP Jake Zebron, and 2019 picks Gunnar Henderson and Darrell Hernaiz.