Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think 3.5M is a reasonable expectation, that is why I used it.  I also think it will be a disappointing result.

There you go, you get the internet.  Reasonable and rational is always the disappointing territory of losers and appeasers.  If you're not in the 90th percentile you might as well have never tried.

56 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I think we should hold off on the hand-wringing on this for a couple months.

But that's just me. ?

Yeah that is what I am going to do.  No reason to praise or condemn before we know what actually happens. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Good to hear, but with this Franchise, the motto still remains, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I'm encouraged by the news.  I don't think Elias is a BSer.  

I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll be the #1 spender in international FA....but that he's making this a focus, it's really nice to see.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

I guess I don’t see the harm in acknowledging this is at minimum a step in the right direction and we’ll see what that actually means.  Until then, we are all speculating anyway and inserting each of our inherent biases.  Why don’t we just take what he said at face value and agree that is an improvement with the degree of improvement TBD?  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

LOL.  You say we should stop speculating and using our inherent biases and then you say we should agree that it is an improvement.  I am not sure how much more inherent bias you can have than this.  

• Downvote 1

Also busiest doesn't mean most money.  The team signed some international players before.  Chen got a 3 year contract. Wada I think got a 3 year contract.  Henry Urrutia got 800k signing bonus. I think Daniel Alvarez got something similar. Jomar Reyes got 350k.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Elias said there will be a lot of signings. He didn't say the players will be exceptional.

I expect a lot of quantity and will be happily surprised if there is much quality.

The things is we actually always signed a lot of players.  Our team in the DSL had  a winning record last season.  

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

Good to hear, but with this Franchise, the motto still remains, I'll believe it when I see it. 

Certainly fair. 

I just find it unlikely that Elias would hire a Sr. Director of International Scouting, make tech upgrades to the DR facility, visit that facility himself, proclaim this next signing period will be the biggest in franchise history.... and then not follow up. 

But it is the Orioles, so. Waiting for the results before judging is probably smart. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

LOL.  You say we should stop speculating and using our inherent biases and then you say we should agree that it is an improvement.  I am not sure how much more inherent bias you can have than this.  

We're Orioles fans.  When a new guy shows up at our very nadir armed with a history of success and a plan we're not going to assume abject failure.  Well... the vast majority of us aren't.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We're Orioles fans.  When a new guy shows up at our very nadir armed with a history of success and a plan we're not going to assume abject failure.  Well... the vast majority of us aren't.

He has zero history of success signing international players. I think you should just judge them on what he actually has done instead of being biased for him for no reason.  You actually seem angry when anyone questions his actions.  I am not sure why this is. If you are an Orioles fan you should want actual results not just being biased to think whatever he is doing is great. 

I will not judge until after we have gotten well into the signing period. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

He has zero history of success signing international players. I think you should just judge them on what he actually has done instead of being biased for him for no reason.  You actually seem angry when anyone questions his actions.  I am not sure why this is. If you are an Orioles fan you should want actual results not just being biased to think whatever he is doing is great. 

I will not judge until after we have gotten well into the signing period. 

I know, being positive and hopeful concerning a new guy who comes in saying all the right things is terribly naive. 

It must be fun going through life certain that abject failure is just around every corner.  You can't even admit that saying the right things and having a good plan is a positive.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I know, being positive and hopeful concerning a new guy who comes in saying all the right things is terribly naive. 

It must be fun going through life certain that abject failure is just around every corner.  You can't even admit that saying the right things and having a good plan is a positive.

Every GM we have had says the right things when they first came in. When DD first came in he hired Fred Ferriera and announced they were going to be very active internationally. Even made a bunch of international signings.  Chen, Wada, and Gonzalez 2 of the 3 who were very helpful in making us a winner.  

The team should be judged on actions and not words.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Also busiest doesn't mean most money.  The team signed some international players before.  Chen got a 3 year contract. Wada I think got a 3 year contract.  Henry Urrutia got 800k signing bonus. I think Daniel Alvarez got something similar. Jomar Reyes got 350k.

Also most money doesn't mean the best signings either.

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Also most money doesn't mean the best signings either.

Yeah but if they don't sign anyone rated in the top 50 rated prospects again I will call it a failure.  Not that the list is the total judge of talent but if they can't get any highly rated prospects it is a good sign they aren't making any headway.