Is the 2019 Season a Blatant Tank Job?

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Dr. Unk said:

Is there a mercy rule in the MLB?  We knew it would be tough sledding, but....

I thought about this earlier today and not in a joking way. What if in a game like last night 16-2, Hyde just tells the umpire in the seventh inning, we're done and I'm pulling the team off the field. I'm guessing it works once until MLB rules that severe suspensions will be placed on the manager and GM if forfeiting a game is tried again. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Throw 'em to the wolves!  We've got a dinger record to break.  No time for slackers!

It would be the highlight to this season, but it doesn't appear this team will need any help in breaking the record. I'm waiting to see what happens when Baltimore gets a heat wave where it is 90+ for a week. Bombs away! ?

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be the highlight to this season, but it doesn't appear this team will need any help in breaking the record. I'm waiting to see what happens when Baltimore gets a heat wave where it is 90+ for a week. Bombs away! ?

Yeah, it's scary to think it could get worse.

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hey I was going to say that. Dude is going to get destroyed if he gets called up. 

His HR/9 is an even 1 in 294.1 AAA innings coming into that game which isn't too bad. He'll give up his fair share of homers, but it's not an alarmingly high rate or anything. He gave up less than a hit an inning in 2017 and so far this year at AAA, 34 hits in 40.1 IP. I don't think it's a given he will get destroyed, but really, what is there to lose in bringing him up at this point?

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

If you think "Dillon Tate" is going to do much better in 2019 than Dan Straily -- who did have a track record of modest MLB accomplishment spanning years -- in the big leagues, and make that your hill to die on, vaya con dios, I guess.  It's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as far as I'm concerned.  Certainly not an indication that the team is trying to lose, either way.  It is just a reflection of how bereft of talent the MLB team and upper minors currently is.  What's next, are folks going to start clamoring for Grayson Rodriguez to play in the MLB next month?  

Is there something else we should be calling him?

5 minutes ago, Sessh said:

His HR/9 is an even 1 in 294.1 AAA innings coming into that game which isn't too bad. He'll give up his fair share of homers, but it's not an alarmingly high rate or anything. He gave up less than a hit an inning in 2017 and so far this year at AAA, 34 hits in 40.1 IP. I don't think it's a given he will get destroyed, but really, what is there to lose in bringing him up at this point?

Why not if Hyde needs another arm. Doesn't matter at this point. 

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I think Mike Elias would disagree with you as to whether he is putting in any “effort”.  And so do I.   Losing teams should be brought back as quickly as possible, otherwise it defaults to all Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs all the time.

You can’t do that by penalizing bad teams further that also have less resources.   Unless you just want teams to just go out of business altogether at some point. 

If that is your take away from what I said then there's really no further conversation needed. You're trying to lump me in with another poster, but I'm not going to fall into that.

There is proof at a good portion of the roster that this is not a ML caliber team. I understand some of the moves. I'm not accusing Mike Elias of sitting around relaxing with umbrella drinks during the off season. I place my disappointment with ownership.

We all knew that we were going to be terrible, but the guys we’re calling up our getting hammered even in AAA. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=018dd10b

It’s not like these guys are beating the door down.  I don’t see what more Elias could’ve done for depth at AAA.

Rotation-

Rogers, Ortiz, Akin, Tate, Ynoa

Bullpen-

Scott, Yefry, Kline, Gillmartin, Wotherspoon, Lee, Lucas, etc...

The fact that Norfolk is getting hammered is equally concerning.  The guys that are in Baltimore have no business getting called up.  They aren’t even getting AAA hitters out.  We had to find out if these guys could sink or swim, in AAA.  The pitching in Baltimore and Norfolk has been pretty much worst case scenario.  

Should he have signed two Odrisamer Despaigne types and “blocked” guys in AAA?  

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If that is your take away from what I said then there's really no further conversation needed. You're trying to lump me in with another poster, but I'm not going to fall into that.

There is proof at a good portion of the roster that this is not a ML caliber team. I understand some of the moves. I'm not accusing Mike Elias of sitting around relaxing with umbrella drinks during the off season. I place my disappointment with ownership.

I am not disappointed with ownership. They hired Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal.  I am proud of the new ownership and plan to give them time before I just complain that they are not “putting out a ML caliber team”   I would be more upset if they did like Peter used to do and got useless mediocre free agents to win 70 games rather than actually rebuilding.

You can blame ownership.  I applaud them.  Just different views. 

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

I do think it hurts the game to have 5, 6, or more teams all "tanking" at the same time.

That really just started in the last couple seasons.  

I think it is just one contributing factor out of a large number of factors that are making the game less attractive to fans.

A proactive league would change the rule, change the incentives, and it would stop. We'll see if baseball does this, or just asks the Atlantic League if they'd mind prototyping some rules baseball could potentially consider in six to eight years.

But fans need to remember that teams are tanking so that they can more quickly stockpile talent to build up the franchise.  If they can't do that then the rebuilds will be longer and less likely to succeed.  If the O's were much less likely to draft a Rutschman they wouldn't be tanking, or not so much.  But they'd be much less likely to get the top talent in the draft.  Unless they add additional ways for poor teams to build that good/rich teams can't take advantage of.

Archived