Who Is Worse - Straily or Davis?

Aristotelian

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Straily is ahead in negative WAR, -1.4 to -1.0, and he has accomplished that feat in a shorter period of time. Davis has the contract on his side as well as a larger sample size of incompetence. 

I want both off the team. Davis I think his situation is worse. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not from a cost/performance perspective.

What does that have to,do,with anything? They both are horrible.  And Martin is worse because you can let him go and actually get money and you don’t need ownership,approval to dump him.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

What does that have to,do,with anything? They both are horrible.  And Martin is worse because you can let him go and actually get money and you don’t need ownership,approval to dump him.

Who has the better chance of improving over time?    In my opinion, it’s clearly Martin.    

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who has the better chance of improving over time?    In my opinion, it’s clearly Martin.    

Not only is Martin much more likely to improve offensively over time than Davis, he also provides a positive boost to the defense. Since Davis in the lineup forces Mancini to the outfield and keeps a natural corner outfielder on the bench (or in the minors), he clearly hurts the team defensively compared to a lineup with Mancini at 1B and a Stewart/Santander/Hays/Smith/Diaz/Whoever in a corner outfield spot. Martin at SS with Villar at 2B gives the Orioles much better infield defense than combinations that start with Villar at SS and Martin on the bench.

• Upvote 2

True, Martin is also over (under?) -1 WAR. Still, I at least think his style of play is a good fit for the team at a key position with no alternatives. Davis is clogging up a roster spot that could belong to Santander, DJ, or eventually Mountcastle, while also forcing Mancini to play defense. Come to think of it, the side effect of Mancini's defense is really what puts Davis over the top as the clear winner here, even if you set aside the contract. Not only is he that bad, he makes others worse.

9 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Not mine, one has proven capable of being a good mlb player, the other is Martin. 

Brooks Robinson was proven a Hall of Fame caliber player.    I like Martin’s chances of improving better than Brooks’, and Davis’ too.    That’s not to say that I think it’s likely Martin will improve to being a decent major leaguer.   I just like his odds better than Davis’, regardless of what Davis did in the past.     

I think several have hit the nail on the head. In a vacuum, just this year, Straily has probably been worse, but overall, Davis is worse to have on the roster.

1. Far more expensive. Those resources could be used more effectively

2. Harder to cut ties with

3. Clogging up a spot that could be given to some of our youngsters this year or down the road

4. Someone has to pitch these innings when we are already down 6 or 7 runs. Might as well be Straily. We have plenty of people that could play 1B or DH.

9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

I feared you’d post something scaturient with straw, be better than that. How very daft, frobber. 

Second time in a couple of months I’ve learned a new word from you.   You must have been dynamite on the verbal part of the SAT.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think several have hit the nail on the head. In a vacuum, just this year, Straily has probably been worse, but overall, Davis is worse to have on the roster.

1. Far more expensive. Those resources could be used more effectively

2. Harder to cut ties with

3. Clogging up a spot that could be given to some of our youngsters this year or down the road

4. Someone has to pitch these innings when we are already down 6 or 7 runs. Might as well be Straily. We have plenty of people that could play 1B or DH.

The money for Davis was gone the minute the contract was signed.

They could cut him at any moment.

There's no one whose development is being more than marginally impaired by having Davis around.

Literally a position player pitching would be about as effective as Straily has been.  He's allowing homers at a rate that's unprecedented in MLB history for pitchers who've thrown more than a small handful of innings.