No Lou tonight, Payton in CF.

Big Mac

Why shouldn't Montanez get Payton's AB's?

That's been my point this entire thread, that Payton should not be getting AB's over Montanez.

Right. But you don't throw Montanez in there tonight for his first ML start when he's jet lagged and probably hasn't slept. He can play tomorrow. Payton can fill in tonight. Yeesh.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree with SG or ichsbaseball. I'd rather see Montanez (although not tonight considering he's probably jet lagged like crazy). But the point is that Payton matches up decently against Garland right now, and with Montanez having flown all day, I'm not being critical of Payton starting TODAY.

I disagree with the candor used to further the argument.

I don't disagree with Montanez not playing today. When I started the thread I thought he had flown here last night.

However my overall point is it would be ashame if Montanez came up here just to watch Payton get AB's over him.

Just wanted to clear that up, Lou not starting TONIGHT is fine with me, given the new flight information.

I don't disagree with SG or ichsbaseball. I'd rather see Montanez (although not tonight considering he's probably jet lagged like crazy). But the point is that Payton matches up decently against Garland right now, and with Montanez having flown all day, I'm not being critical of Payton starting TODAY.

I disagree with the candor used to further the argument.

I understand about him just playing Today but some were advocating playing him over Lou regulary.

Care to explain why, If not fine but I just want to know Why you disagree.

There's ONE guy under 30 in tonight lineup (Markakis). That's pitiful. And this is supposed to be a rebuilding team. And a poor mans Brian Burress on the hill.

And if Jones were healthy, that'd be two.

And if Jones were healthy, tonight's line-up would be different from any other night's line-up how, exactly?

I understand about him just playing Today but some were advocating playing him over Lou regulary.

Care to explain why, If not fine but I just want to know Why you disagree.

I think the main point that was furthered in this thread is that there's no reason to play Montanez TONIGHT, with him being jet lagged, and Payton having good numbers off of Garland, coupled with Garland having poor numbers against right handed hitters. If Payton's going to have a good night ever against a righty, Garland's a good bet.

And then I think we all kinda got irritated with notion that the line-up is disgusting because Payton's playing tonight. Our line-up wouldn't be any different aside from CF if Jones were healthy.

I agree with Tony. If it's a week from now and Montanez isn't starting games, I'll be irritated.

I think the main point that was furthered in this thread is that there's no reason to play Montanez TONIGHT, with him being jet lagged, and Payton having good numbers off of Garland, coupled with Garland having poor numbers against right handed hitters. If Payton's going to have a good night ever against a righty, Garland's a good bet.

And then I think we all kinda got irritated with notion that the line-up is disgusting because Payton's playing tonight. Our line-up wouldn't be any different aside from CF if Jones were healthy.

I agree with Tony. If it's a week from now and Montanez isn't starting games, I'll be irritated.

Yea I agree with everything there. Hopefully we will see Lou tonight with a pinch hit appearance or something.

Yea I agree with everything there. Hopefully we will see Lou tonight with a pinch hit appearance or something.

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. :) I don't think he's unavailable tonight. I just don't think it's really fair to Montanez to start him tonight.

Your TV goes black during a break in the O's game...

Fade in - Sports Guy sitting behind a desk with Oriole memorabilia in glass cases behind him...

"Do you have a dream to one day be a general manager of a big league baseball team?"

shifts his focus to camera 2

"Do you want to feel the rush of making the big trade as the deadline is approaching?"

turns attention back to camera 1 - pointing his finger at it...

"Being a big league GM just doesn't happen over night. You need to have skills to be a big league GM. Trading skills, multi-tasking skills, PR skills. And most importantly - you need to talk like a big league GM."

screen goes orange while you hear SG's words appear in black as he says:

"GM's don't speak like normal people speak. We speak with big words that mean big meanings. In my course I will teach you to say things like this in your conversations, IM's and other forms of conversation with other GM's...

Way to intelligently discuss things!
Try reading before you actually type.
Ummm, in this post genius
wow, did that REALLY go over your head that quickly?
Thanks for the intelligent statement.
thanks for doing your normal putting words into people's mouth thing that you do

Back to SG, now walking on a baseball diamond and flipping a baseball in the air...

"It is obvious that ordinary people do not understand when to use these type of intelligent comments, especially when you do not wish not to defend a position that you are taking. Please do not attempt to do this at home."

Back at his desk...

"That is why I am inviting you to my GM Basic Training Institute. For a special time offer, you can enroll in my course on how to talk the way GM's talk and I will throw in a special course on how to make every GM trade you their top prospects for your junk... a free gift from me to you."

Announcer dude...

"Call now!!! 555-5555 and the first 25 callers receive a free SG signed picture!"

And if Jones were healthy, that'd be two.

And if Jones were healthy, tonight's line-up would be different from any other night's line-up how, exactly?

That doesn't make it acceptable. Even two players under 30 is unacceptable given our "rebuilding" situation. And its not like the older veterens are producing at a high level. At this point, with Scott's injury, we are running out 4 pretty easy outs to round out the lineup.

It amazes me that people seem to be ok with us starting a lot of these guys. Just incredible.

And people wonder why we suck every year. Every f'ing, we have this same argument and every year the same people are ok with it. They must like misery I guess.

Your TV goes black during a break in the O's game...

Fade in - Sports Guy sitting behind a desk with Oriole memorabilia in glass cases behind him...

"Do you have a dream to one day be a general manager of a big league baseball team?"

shifts his focus to camera 2

"Do you want to feel the rush of making the big trade as the deadline is approaching?"

turns attention back to camera 1 - pointing his finger at it...

"Being a big league GM just doesn't happen over night. You need to have skills to be a big league GM. Trading skills, multi-tasking skills, PR skills. And most importantly - you need to talk like a big league GM."

screen goes orange while you hear SG's words appear in black as he says:

"GM's don't speak like normal people speak. We speak with big words that mean big meanings. In my course I will teach you to say things like this in your conversations, IM's and other forms of conversation with other GM's...

Back to SG, now walking on a baseball diamond and flipping a baseball in the air...

"It is obvious that ordinary people do not understand when to use these type of intelligent comments, especially when you do not wish not to defend a position that you are taking. Please do not attempt to do this at home."

Back at his desk...

"That is why I am inviting you to my GM Basic Training Institute. For a special time offer, you can enroll in my course on how to talk the way GM's talk and I will throw in a special course on how to make every GM trade you their top prospects for your junk... a free gift from me to you."

Announcer dude...

"Call now!!! 555-5555 and the first 25 callers receive a free SG signed picture!"

Do you have a picture of me on your ceiling because you have a crazy obsession with me. Either that, or you are just a troll...Not sure which it is.

True and all. But Payton is probably going to get more playing time now then he was before the unjury to Jones.

So every game he does get a start copy paste everything said here about him blocking playing time. Or to save time just find and read this thread again.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about Jason Berken. He seems to fit the mold on someone who is ready to come up. He is pretty much 25 years old and has had a good season.

Has he been a guy who's kind of struggled in the minors and changing levels or has he been pretty consistent throughout. Id rather have him up than Waters.

Archived