Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias seems very big on gradually bringing guys back from injury or starting their pro careers, but it's kinda silly to start him off in the GCL. These rainouts are one of the reasons that league is not a very good place to start. with all of the other college high picks going straight to Aberdeen, it seems weird to start of Rutschman in a glorified good high school league. 

In the big game of things this means nothing, but I really think they are trying to avoid the media circus of his first pro at bat and that was going to happen if it was in Aberdeen. Still, the guy needs to just play.

Especially since there are other players drafted this year already in Aberdeen.  

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Especially since there are other players drafted this year already in Aberdeen.  

Part of me wonders if the plan is to intentionally slow play him.  Let him get his feet wet in Aberdeen this year, play the first half in Delmarva next season and finish in Frederick.  All or most of 2021 in Bowie and then not bring him up until sometime mid-season 2022.

3 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Part of me wonders if the plan is to intentionally slow play him.  Let him get his feet wet in Aberdeen this year, play the first half in Delmarva next season and finish in Frederick.  All or most of 2021 in Bowie and then not bring him up until sometime mid-season 2022.

That would be a great way to make sure they get a year or so of his decline period without extending him.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would be a great way to make sure they get a year or so of his decline period without extending him.

I agree and I don't really believe that is what they are doing, it's just a thought that has crossed my mind.  I just find it a little strange he was the only advanced college bat we drafted that got sent to the GCL.  It could very well be for any combination of the reasons that other posters have mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think where he plays this year really matters at all. He could sit out the season and start in Frederick next year without issue. 

That is pretty much what Wieters did (he did play a bit in HIWB league but it isn't as if that prepared him for Frederick).

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think where he plays this year really matters at all. He could sit out the season and start in Frederick next year without issue. 

No I don't think it matters either, but just strange to start off a high college pick in the GCL.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is pretty much what Wieters did (he did play a bit in HIWB league but it isn't as if that prepared him for Frederick).

Why not?   That league was considered to be A/A+ quality, as I recall.    Probably better prep for Frederick than playing at Aberdeen is.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would his shoulder need a rest?

Because one time in middle school he hurt his shoulder playing football. It healed, he moved on, but when media critics tried to find something to ding him for entering the draft. This old shoulder injury was the only thing they could find. 

He's not injured..... He doesn't need rest..... 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree. I think there is very limited need for development here.