Halfway to Hell: My Mid-Season Grades

Frobby

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pedro Severino, .278/.348/.494, 9 HR, 23 RBI, 1.0 rWAR: A.    A heretofore powerless hitter has found a power stroke, and is getting on base at a nice clip too.   My big question with him is why the pitchers have a 6.20 ERA when he’s behind the plate and 5.48 when anyone else catches.    But that may just be noise, so I didn’t penalize him.   

I’m not bothering to grade Rickard, who’s gone, or all the other players under 100 PA.    But overall, I’d give the offense a C compared to what I expected, and the defense a D+.    So call it C- for the position players.   That may seem generous, but remember, it’s all against what I expected.

Pitchers later.    

I presume until proven otherwise that it is SSS noise, such as maybe he caught Hess and Straily more, Means less, etc. than Sisco. I expect the difference to diminish as the season wears on.

I would give Smith a B, not disagreeing with the assessment, just a function of lower expectations.

I would give Givens and Castro F due to higher expectations.

I wish there was a grade lower than F for the rest of the bullpen.

Amazing that Hess could have a near no hitter on his resume and end up with an F. Yes, he was that bad.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if you take away the really bad numbers the numbers that remain look better?

If Sisco had caught as many innings with BAD PITCHERS on the mound maybe, just maybe his numbers would also look bad.  Just how many innings did Sisco catch from Straily, Castro, Wortherspoon, and Ortiz to skew his supposed better numbers???  You cherry pick your numbers and I will cherry pick mine.

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

If Sisco had caught as many innings with BAD PITCHERS on the mound maybe, just maybe his numbers would also look bad.  Just how many innings did Sisco catch from Straily, Castro, Wortherspoon, and Ortiz to skew his supposed better numbers???  You cherry pick your numbers and I will cherry pick mine.

The counter-argument (which is overly simplistic) would be that maybe those pitchers wouldn't have been as bad with Sisco behind the plate.

It just isn't good form to not count data that doesn't support you opinion. 

Anyway I don't think CERA is a useful stat in the first place so I'm certainly not going to argue over it.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Trey Mancini, .296/.354/.542, 17 HR, 37 RBI, 1.1 rWAR: A-.     Almost gave him an A, but he’s slipped a bit in recent days, going sub-.900 OPS for the first time in a long time.    Still, I’m very happy with Trey, we just need to get him out of the outfield!

Mancini’s back over .900 OPS.  That dip below was short lived.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now the pitchers.   20 IP minimum.

John Means: 17 games, 13 starts, 75.2 IP, 2.50 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 7.6 K/9, 3.2 rWAR: A+.    Sure, I’d love it if he got deeper into games, but I expected nothing from this guy and we’ve gotten excellence.

Part of the issue is that for whatever reason Hyde is pulling him with some gas in the tank.  While it wasn’t a pitch efficient outing, he only threw 84 pitches yesterday.  He seems to have been under 100 fairly frequently but Hyde pulls him after 5 anyway.

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Mancini’s back over .900 OPS.  That dip below was short lived.

Part of the issue is that for whatever reason Hyde is pulling him with some gas in the tank.  While it wasn’t a pitch efficient outing, he only threw 84 pitches yesterday.  He seems to have been under 100 fairly frequently but Hyde pulls him after 5 anyway.

TTTOP?

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

We’re halfway to a 46-116 season, one game worse than last year.  334 runs scored, 512 runs allowed. 165 home runs yielded.    Here are my individual grades, which are on a curve against what I expected from that player.   I’m using 100 PA as a cutoff for the hitters.

Given the huge loss of talent (Brach, Britton, Gausman, Jones, Machado, Schoop--that's quite a list!), total wipeouts of Cobb, Hess, and Mullins, and our ongoing Daviseus Bound farce, I'm completely fine with being only a game behind. I take delight in the ability to stay close in any game and sometimes pull off a win, led by such previously unpromising castaways as the Hanswer, Means, Santander, Nunez, DSJR, Martin, et al. In a previous life, in my backyard in Miami, a beautiful Oriole would once in a long while come and perch in a tree. So it was by no means an easy bird to spot, but when I did Such delight!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don’t understand...

Time through the order penalty.  Basically regardless of pitch counts pitchers become less effective each time they face a hitter in a given game.  So by pulling him in the fifth it keeps the other team from seeing him a third time.