Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Roll Tide

10 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I like having an established star on the team, a name everyone recognizes.  But a first baseman just can't be hitting less than .200.  and stay on the team. I hope that Chris will quit , retire , if he doesn't improve. He could walk away with dignity and class, if he accepts a buyout. 

If he doesn’t accept a buyout he can fly away in a personal jet and still have plenty left over, secure in the knowledge that baseball fans everywhere will have forgotten him by the time he lands. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also sounds like it is out of Elias' hands.  My guess is he had a talk with ownership about Davis over the break.

Maybe, but this is similar stuff he's said at the beginning of the season about Davis. 

I do think it's out of his hands for the moment, but these quotes looked purposefully short and non-committal to me. 

In a lost 2019 season, they're keeping Davis until the end.  Beyond 2019???   They have given Davis plenty of opportunities and it hasn't worked.  There's plenty of frustration, but they're trying to put a good public face on it. MLBTR pulled from Dan Connolly's latest article. 

Chris Davis, directly in the middle of a seven-year, $161 million contract, has shown minimal, if any improvement, over last year’s offensive disaster. What is his future with this team this year and beyond?

I see him as a part of this team. I think the frustrating thing for us, and for me this season, is we’ve done a lot of work with him and he’s done a lot of work, but it seems like it’s been very up and down and there have been periods of time when he looks bad at the plate and the results have been horrible. And then there have been other stretches where he looks better and he plays better and the numbers seem to flow and they’ve come in kind of an on-off, on-off pattern and actually, he finished on a good note here leading into the All-Star break. So that’s been kind of frustrating because, at times, it’s felt like we’ve turned a corner and then he’ll go into a sustained stretch where he is slumping. We’re working on that and we’re figuring it out and we’re working with him to do that.

You said to start this season that you are committed to Davis. Are you still committed to him, especially for the remainder of this season?

Yeah. He’s under contract. He’s a big part of this team and this team’s history and we’ve got him here. So it makes sense for everyone to try to make the most of the situation and get him back to where he needs to be. We think it’s possible. And we’ve seen flashes of it and it’s a big priority for us.

The money is lost either way they go.  He provides little offense.  My guess the Angelos brothers think they are protecting their father's image by hanging on to Davis.  To let him go, and admit their colossal mistake, is too hard on the collective family ego.  So they pray for a miracle.....

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

If he doesn’t accept a buyout he can fly away in a personal jet and still have plenty left over, secure in the knowledge that baseball fans everywhere will have forgotten him by the time he lands. 

There's a bungalow waiting for him on Bobby Bonilla island ;)

• Upvote 1

I think if there was any chance of being a competitive team in the near future, Davis would be gone. In a lost season, there is no harm in keeping him around to see just how bad he gets. Maybe the daily humiliation encourages him to take a buyout that saves the O's a couple mil.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

...Maybe the daily humiliation encourages him to take a buyout that saves the O's a couple mil.

I believe he's the O's Union Player Rep, and as such it would be quite unexpected for him to accept a buyout. I think we're on the hook for the remaining $ unless something unexpected occurs.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

I think it's GM speak. He is under contract and he is here. I've heard GM's say the exact same thing in multiple sports and 2 weeks later the player is gone.

Yeah. I think it's both.

He's here longer than we want, but Elias made sure to be non-committal. What else is he going to say? How many GMs have given their managers the dreaded vote of confidence and then they're gone within the month? 

Chris will get the year, maybe more, and that's probably owner-mandated. But I find it hard to believe Chris will get the full length of the contract. Is it possible? Surrrre? If he even stays healthy for most of it, which is unlikely anyway. But the more successful the O's are, the less of a chance that will happen. 

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I believe he's the O's Union Player Rep, and as such it would be quite unexpected for him to accept a buyout. I think we're on the hook for the remaining $ unless something unexpected occurs.

Whether or not he's the player rep, with the players currently rattling sabers over the fact that veteran free agents are not getting paid like they used to, Davis would be a total and complete pariah in the game if he walked away from even a penny.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TGO said:

Whether or not he's the player rep, with the players currently rattling sabers over the fact that veteran free agents are not getting paid like they used to, Davis would be a total and complete pariah in the game if he walked away from even a penny.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, Gus said:

The money is lost either way they go.  He provides little offense.  My guess the Angelos brothers think they are protecting their father's image by hanging on to Davis.  To let him go, and admit their colossal mistake, is too hard on the collective family ego.  So they pray for a miracle.....

I'm at least pleasantly reminded of my grandfather who, after his second stroke, maintained his obsession with Lucent years after it devolved into a penny-stock.  Prior to losing his remaining marbles (and small fortune), my grandpa's dot-com darling was a wild performer.  My father and I had to eat the shares we were once gifted because Pop Pop and the mouthy broker were bffs from A.G. Edwards.  LOL, he was also blind at the end but spent an hour every day "reading" his investment reports--or whatever my aunt handed him.  Loved him!

I think I’d try to bench him the next time he slumps. I think he could be pressured into a buyout.

Look Chris, we are going to lose. I’m benching you indefinitely. I’ll play with 25! You are going to rot on the bench or we can agree to a buyout that secures your unconditional release???