Mullins to Bowie

Ohfan67

I think this says Stewart and Hayes are up with Stewart still on rehab so  he has to go to Baltimore soon.  Mullins needs to play every day, so find him a place.  When Stewart goes up, Mullins goes back.  So I think its just practical. Now if McKenna gets promoted to replace Stewart, then Mullins has slid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

I think this says Stewart and Hayes are up with Stewart still on rehab so  he has to go to Baltimore soon.  Mullins needs to play every day, so find him a place.  When Stewart goes up, Mullins goes back.  So I think its just practical. Now if McKenna gets promoted to replace Stewart, then Mullins has slid.

Interesting point, I can see how that could be part of the justification along with Mullins' struggles at Norfolk.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

McKenna needs experience in the corners so no issues, but I'm guessing they will share CF with Mullins getting some LF time in the field.

If McKenna and Hays both end up as MLB starters for the Orioles which one of them would be in CF? I just always figured it would be McKenna because of his speed.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

McKenna is the superior defender from what I understand.

That is what I figured.  Was thrown off by Tony's comment about him needing experience in the corners.  Not sure who in the organization pushes him out of CF?

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

That is what I figured.  Was thrown off by Tony's comment about him needing experience in the corners.  Not sure who in the organization pushes him out of CF?

I think the issue is that his bat might not profile as an every day player, so they may need him to be a 4th outfielder on some future team which may or may not have a great CF.

16 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't think McKenna is good enough to be a starting ML CF at the end of the day offensively, so I could see him getting experience in all outfield spots so he can be a 4th outfielder type.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mullins really progressed nicely through the system before starting a downward spiral that started at the end of last season.  He has ML talent.  I hope he can turn it around.  

He has the tools but at this point he needs to start putting them together. Maybe ditch hitting from the right side. Bunt more for hits. Take better routes on defense to use his speed. Refine his stolen bases. 

He’s tough so I hope that doesn’t lead to stubbornness. A lot of the little things he needs to do involves some pride swallowing. Maybe he adopted the swing for the fences mentality that the previous team had. 

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He has the tools but at this point he needs to start putting them together. Maybe ditch hitting from the right side. Bunt more for hits. Take better routes on defense to use his speed. Refine his stolen bases. 

He’s tough so I hope that doesn’t lead to stubbornness. A lot of the little things he needs to do involves some pride swallowing. Maybe he adopted the swing for the fences mentality that the previous team had. 

For him this season, he’s actually hitting well worse as a lefty (.497 OPS) than as a righty (.654 OPS). He’s actually hit lefties better this year than he typically has, it’s just that he hasn’t hit a lick on his traditionally stronger side. Either way, he’s totally out of whack, so I hope he can work his way out of it.

• Upvote 1