What about trading other prospects?

Philip

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt the O's would trade Harvey.  Right now he profiles as the O's closer next year and into the future.  But  at some point  after next season he might be stretched out in ST to become a starter again.    He is still a top pitching prospect IMO.

What?  How many major league teams have a closer who had a 5+ ERA in AA the year before?  If he's the Orioles' closer in 2020 it'll be because he needs to be on the 40-man and they're going to win 55 games, so why not?  Certainly not because he has the resume of a major league closer.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What?  How many major league teams have a closer who had a 5+ ERA in AA the year before?  If he's the Orioles' closer in 2020 it'll be because he needs to be on the 40-man and they're going to win 55 games, so why not?  Certainly not because he has the resume of a major league closer.

Since being converted to a reliever he is scoreless in 12 innings And has been promoted to AAA.   As SSS as that may be I think most people want to see what comes next.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Since being converted to a reliever he is scoreless in 12 innings And has been promoted to AAA.   As SSS as that may be I think most people want to see what comes next.

Ha!  He's pitched five games this year as a reliever, and suddenly he's the Orioles shutdown closer for the next half-decade.

I’m actually with Wildcard on Harvey, he’s a stud, regardless of the stats. 

Btw, Hader had a 5+ ERA in AAA before being converted to relief, Edwin Diaz had a high 4 ERA in AA before being converted. Ryan Presley 6+ ERA in A+ before conversion. 

Role changes make performance based predictions less reliable IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Btw, Hader had a 5+ ERA in AAA before being converted to relief, Edwin Diaz had a high 4 ERA in AA before being converted. Ryan Presley 6+ ERA in A+ before conversion. 

Okay, I'll buy that.  But he's still averaged 34 innings a season over the last seven years.  It'll be an upset if he can stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Hader was pitching in Colorado Springs.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This question is like the first primary for the 2020 election: There's going to be 33 people on the ballot, and I don't really like any of them.

Right with you there, but the O's don't have anyone better than Harvey and he has 6 weeks to prove it.

Even if Harvey is our best closer talent wise, I'd personally not want him in that role to start. Let him apprentice, IMO. The fragility combined with inexperience tells me to be careful.

Going back to the OP, that's why I also doubt anyone would give up what I'd want in return for his talent.

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Aren’t most relievers failed starters?