Rule 5 eligible players

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I’d rather do it with a finesse pitcher than a pure “stuff” guy.

Why?    I think the change in the ball between AA and the majors is probably a more significant factor for a finesse pitcher who needs to hit his spots with several different pitches in order to succeed.     

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why?    I think the change in the ball between AA and the majors is probably a more significant factor for a finesse pitcher who needs to hit his spots with several different pitches in order to succeed.     

Because they know how to pitch and aren’t getting by just overpowering minor league hitters with their stuff.

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, weams said:

Curious to hear what @Luke-OH thinks of Zack Brown. He doesn't have a typical Rule 5 profile as he doesn't have much upside, but it seems like he could be a potential plug and play as a back of the rotation starter. Definitely seems like a low risk player that someone should take a long look at during Spring Training and see if he can crack the rotation or be a long man.

As an aside, I am patting myself on the back for getting all of our adds right in my original post in July (minus Diaz, who we didn't find out didn't need to be added until September/October).

• Upvote 1

As much as I love continuity, can we get a new thread for this year? Link to last years in the first post? I'd do it myself but then we'd have two posts and don't want it to be confusing. 

Until then....

On a quick scan of the names Luke listed, Josh Palacios looks interesting if he can stick in CF. Considering how much we've discussed Yusniel Diaz's numbers needing to be viewed through the lens of a super pitcher friendly Eastern League, I'd say Palacios' .266/.371/.787 is pretty impressive, especially if he can competently play CF. A guy who can play all 3 OF positions, take a walk, and steal a base seems like the kind of guy you could stash on the bench for a season. He may not have a ton of upside. 

I believe this will be the Rule 5 class of 2020, in case you're insane like me and thinking about that.

Michael Baumann (AA)  #7 prospect
Zac Lowther (AA) #8 prospect
Brenan Hanifee (A+) #15 prospect
Bruce Zimmermann (AAA) #20 prospect
Rylan Bannon (AAA) #21 prospect
Zach Pop (AA) #23 prospect
Leonardo Rodriguez (A-) #24 prospect

Mason McCoy (AA)
T.J. Nichting (AA)
Willy Yahn (AA)
Ben Breazeale (A+)
Zach Jarrett (A+)
Robbie Thorburn (A+)
J.C. Escarra (A+)
Tim Naughton (A+)
Reed Hayes (A+)
Cameron Bishop (A+)
Matt Hammonds (A)
Ryan Wilson (A)
J.C. Encarnacion (A)
Alexis Torres (A-)
Yelin Rodriguez (A-)
Juan de la Rosa (DSL1)

On 11/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, weams said:

Some interesting talent this year. To me, at first glance, I like Buddy Reed. Excellent CF out of SD Padres organization, 2016 2nd round pick out of University of Florida. Played with Richie Martin. Super athletic, strong arm and 70 grade runner. He’s a switch hitter, and he’s had some ups and downs, but I think he just need a little more time.

He grew up just outside Baltimore, and was supposedly an incredible hockey player, and a very talented soccer player. He went to an elite private school in Rhode Island for high school. He really could be an impact late bloomer as he did not play much baseball growing up. 

I watched him play a good bit here in Florida and I remember how impressed I was with his athleticism. I also remember moments where he was raw and inexperienced. He could be a steal, if our development minded staff can click with him. If nothing else, he would provide a great defensive CF to back up Hays while they work on his hitting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/buddy-reed-interview-florida-mlb-draft.html

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Some interesting talent this year. To me, at first glance, I like Buddy Reed. Excellent CF out of SD Padres organization, 2016 2nd round pick out of University of Florida. Played with Richie Martin. Super athletic, strong arm and 70 grade runner. He’s a switch hitter, and he’s had some ups and downs, but I think he just need a little more time.

He grew up just outside Baltimore, and was supposedly an incredible hockey player, and a very talented soccer player. He went to an elite private school in Rhode Island for high school. He really could be an impact late bloomer as he did not play much baseball growing up. 

I watched him play a good bit here in Florida and I remember how impressed I was with his athleticism. I also remember moments where he was raw and inexperienced. He could be a steal, if our development minded staff can click with him. If nothing else, he would provide a great defensive CF to back up Hays while they work on his hitting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/buddy-reed-interview-florida-mlb-draft.html

Another article on Reed from May 2019. 

The first 33 games of 2019 have featured a paltry .205/.282/.410 slash as a 24-year-old in Double-A. An 84 wRC+ despite being slightly older than his average competition in the Texas League. Those numbers often describe a prospect afterthought, especially with most statistical categories beginning to normalize.

Yet, a look under the hood suggests Reed is on the verge of a breakout that could make him a hot commodity throughout the prospect community before the end of the regular season.

https://prospects365.com/2019/05/18/buddy-reed-and-buying-before-a-breakout/

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Very intrigued by his speed/defense, but it seems doubtful if he's ready to hit MLB pitching.  Struggled at the plate in AA.  Does have a little pop, but I think MLB pitchers would probably exploit his holes.  He'd be a great guy to have in the system, but I'm not sure if the O's can spend a 26-man spot on him all year.  We've already got some roster clutter, IMO.  I could see a contending team with a very solid 25-man roster that wouldn't have participated in the Rule 5 draft in previous years selecting him this year to take advantage of the 26-man roster and use him as a pinch-runner/late inning defensive replacement, then send him to AA or AAA in 2021 to work on his hitting.

Just now, Number5 said:

Very intrigued by his speed/defense, but it seems doubtful if he's ready to hit MLB pitching.  Struggled at the plate in AA.  Does have a little pop, but I think MLB pitchers would probably exploit his holes.  He'd be a great guy to have in the system, but I'm not sure if the O's can spend a 26-man spot on him all year.  We've already got some roster clutter, IMO.  I could see a contending team with a very solid 25-man roster that wouldn't have participated in the Rule 5 draft in previous years selecting him this year to take advantage of the 26-man roster and use him as a pinch-runner/late inning defensive replacement, then send him to AA or AAA in 2021 to work on his hitting.

That’s fair, and I agree he would be overmatched for the most part. But there is a good amount of upside here. He is still raw, but he may just be on the verge of things. He may be a guy that at age 27 ends up a late bloomer like Aaron Hicks.

If you have not yet done so, read the article above shared by @7Mo. The Orioles are looking for a back up CF, and he could fill that void. As far as being able to hit enough, no one knows long term. Would you take the production of what Martin did last year, but from a guy who will not need to start much? For $100,000, I think I would do so on a rebuilding team. I’ll take him over Dwight Smith Jr. and Stevie Wilkerson, and probably over DJ Stewart for now. 

If Santander and Mancini are in the corners, with Hays roaming CF, he seems like a pretty good fit for a bench OF. There may be other players out there who are better picks. But at first glance, for me, Buddy really stands out. 

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I believe this will be the Rule 5 class of 2020, in case you're insane like me and thinking about that.

Michael Baumann (AA)  #7 prospect
Zac Lowther (AA) #8 prospect
Brenan Hanifee (A+) #15 prospect
Bruce Zimmermann (AAA) #20 prospect
Rylan Bannon (AAA) #21 prospect
Zach Pop (AA) #23 prospect
Leonardo Rodriguez (A-) #24 prospect

Mason McCoy (AA)
T.J. Nichting (AA)
Willy Yahn (AA)
Ben Breazeale (A+)
Zach Jarrett (A+)
Robbie Thorburn (A+)
J.C. Escarra (A+)
Tim Naughton (A+)
Reed Hayes (A+)
Cameron Bishop (A+)
Matt Hammonds (A)
Ryan Wilson (A)
J.C. Encarnacion (A)
Alexis Torres (A-)
Yelin Rodriguez (A-)
Juan de la Rosa (DSL1)

Add Alex Wells and Yusniel Diaz and you pretty much have everyone.