The Nine Greatest Orioles Shortstops of All Time

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I’m not sure a highlight reel would really do him justice.   As mentioned in the article, he never dove for a ball.   I also don’t remember him doing 360’s to get his body in position to throw on balls up the middle on the OF grass.    He just covered a tremendous amount of ground and had a super-quick transfer and throw — no wasted motion of any kind.     And he threw in this over the top, seemingly effortless style.  

Don't care, still would like to see it.   I understand that it might not be over the top flash and dash plays but any fan that's watched enough baseball can appreciate seeing someone cover ground and a quick transfer.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Where's the love for Freddie Bynum?

You know, 2008 was a year I even left off the bottom of my list.   No player started more than 46 games at SS that year.   Bynum made 32, second most on the team.  Everyone they tried was a disaster.   

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Don't care, still would like to see it.   I understand that it might not be over the top flash and dash plays but any fan that's watched enough baseball can appreciate seeing someone cover ground and a quick transfer.  

It really is a shame that there aren’t high quality videos from those years.    The combo of Brooks and Belanger on the left side was ridiculous.    I guess there are some videos of the 1969-71 World Series that might show some Belanger plays.    

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Watch the slo-mo at 2:12:00, then watch the last play of the game at 2:56:00. Neither play looks like much but he's covering a ton of ground and making it look easy.

9 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If you're willing to include Manny in this list, he becomes No.8 even with the limited number of games played, ahead of the below replacement level guys.

Which one?

Alexander or Machado?

;)

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It really is a shame that there aren’t high quality videos from those years.    The combo of Brooks and Belanger on the left side was ridiculous.    I guess there are some videos of the 1969-71 World Series that might show some Belanger plays.    

To me his signature play was deep in the hole on the outfield grass.   He made it look so easy, somehow stopping his momentum and making the throw to first.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, I'm sorry for the various changes in font sizes and styles. I originally typed this off-line, and something happened when I transferred it over that doesnt seem to want to be fixed.  

3 hours ago, AZRon said:

You have to remove all "formatting" before copying/pasting --- best to prepare it in "plain text."

o

You can also do it after you cut and paste the information.

Anytime that you cut and paste something from another site, the following always comes up at the bottom of your post .........   

Pasted as rich text. Paste as plain text instead.

If you click on the latter (Paste as plain text instead), it will remove any and all colors and fonts from whatever it was that you had just cut and pasted.

o

A great top six, but then we go cliff diving.  

I'm putting Manny at 8 and ending my rankings there.  The rest of the players should be on the list of worst Baltimore SS of all time....even if it's a long a list.  

15 hours ago, TGO said:

Watch the slo-mo at 2:12:00, then watch the last play of the game at 2:56:00. Neither play looks like much but he's covering a ton of ground and making it look easy.

Thanks TGO!  Loved seeing Tim Foli choking up - seeing Flanny and, yes Pops, the cold air and the Blade in his prime!  I was a mere babe of 36!

Archived