Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

If the O's have a "Why Not" type of season next year, he could get the Machado treatment and make it all of the way to the majors by August. More likely is the A+, AA and maybe AAA in August.

Do you expect half measures? Or do you expect a professional rebuild with the limited resources that the Orioles have? Serious question, because for so many season Peter Angelos said his fans deserved the best team he could assemble at the MLB level while concentration on development. Unfortunately he never listened to the right guys up until Andy MacPhail.  

Brian Roberts, Brady and Adam Jones had his ear. Not mlb level administrators. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

Do you expect half measures? Or do you expect a professional rebuild with the limited resources that the Orioles have? Serious question, because for so many season Peter Angelos said his fans deserved the best team he could assemble at the MLB level while concentration on development. Unfortunately he never listened to the right guys up until Andy MacPhail.  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Let me get this straight. Under my scenario (however very unlikely that is):

1. We have a Why Not season in 2020
2. Rutschman is killing A+ and AA.
3. The likely plan is to be in the majors in May of 2021, delayed only by service time
4. The O's promote him to help with a 2019 pennant race.

You'd consider that a half measure? And unprofessional rebuild?

22 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Let me get this straight. Under my scenario (however very unlikely that is):

1. We have a Why Not season in 2020
2. Rutschman is killing A+ and AA.
3. The likely plan is to be in the majors in May of 2021, delayed only by service time
4. The O's promote him to help with a 2019 pennant race.

You'd consider that a half measure? And unprofessional rebuild?

I don't think that the Orioles will attempt to have a team capable of a one game behind season.  If they do make those efforts, I will not consider the rebuild proper. So I can see your dismay with my take. 

image.thumb.png.7d3213d816b5c5b232f177f7f89b0e08.pngimage.thumb.png.d1067a1c9e146d8db484059e90ddc0d1.png

I totally agree that it's unlikely, but I could see a world where Cobb, Means, Bundy, Akin, Kremer, Harvey, Givens, Wojo and a couple others are an overachieving staff. I can also see where Severino, Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander, Stewart/Diaz, Nunez and a couple others hit/field enough, and I can see that bunch outperforming their pythagorean by luck, if nothing else.

Then I could see adding AR if we're within 5 games in August.

I think that's still a bad team, but crazier things have happened.

42 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think that the Orioles will attempt to have a team capable of a one game behind season.  If they do make those efforts, I will not consider the rebuild proper. So I can see your dismay with my take. 

image.thumb.png.7d3213d816b5c5b232f177f7f89b0e08.pngimage.thumb.png.d1067a1c9e146d8db484059e90ddc0d1.png

11th of 14 in payroll, 4th youngest group of hitters, 3rd youngest group of pitchers.    Did they really “try” to have a team that was a game out of first?   Or did it just sort of happen?

Incidentally, the entire team was paid about half of what Chris Davis makes in a season.  The only guys making over $675 k were Cal Ripken ($2.47 mm) and Phil Bradley ($1.15 mm).   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jeff Ballard had 62 SO's and 57 BB's in 215 innings.  And managed 18 wins with a 3.43 ERA.  Mind blown. 

All of our starters that year walked close to as many as they struck out.  If you don't have at least a 2:1 strikeout to walk ratio in today's game you aren't going to make it.  

• Downvote 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, Tony-OH said:

I like Breazeale as a game caller, but he really is pretty poor at most other aspects of defensive catching. I'd like to see Rutschman get sent up for the playoffs, but the organization might think that's not fair to the guys who have been there all year. 

Breazeale was promoted to Frederick.    I wonder how he feels about that.   

• Upvote 1