Dillon Tate fits right in

AceKing

Oh, I wouldn’t necessarily say that. The first 3 batters aside, I thought he held his own. HBP on his 2nd ML pitch, which nerves may have (understandably) contributed to. Then Martin slightly misplays Machado’s grounder, and Hosmer clobbers a mistake. But he settled down nicely after that. Fastball had some hop.

I’d like to get a few more looks at him on this level but I’m not anticipating an extended stay up here for now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Oh, I wouldn’t necessarily say that. The first 3 batters aside, I thought he held his own. HBP on his 2nd ML pitch, which nerves may have (understandably) contributed to. Then Martin slightly misplays Machado’s grounder, and Hosmer clobbers a mistake. But he settled down nicely after that. Fastball had some hop.

I’d like to get a few more looks at him on this level but I’m not anticipating an extended stay up here for now.

Seems like Hess is a more likely guy to go down than Tate, he was clearly up for one emergency start.  So Tate can probably hang around a bit longer 

• Thanks 1

I just watched the replay of Tate's innings, he looked like he settled in nicely.  His pitches have good movement.  I am hoping he's up here for an extended look.

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Do your powers work with Tom Eshelman? Would be nice to get a split with the Padres. 

#$#@, Eshelman starts today?  Was looking forward to watching the game while working from home this afternoon, now not so much.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just watched the replay of Tate's innings, he looked like he settled in nicely.  His pitches have good movement.  I am hoping he's up here for an extended look.

#$#@, Eshelman starts today?  Was looking forward to watching the game while working from home this afternoon, now not so much.

Lamet for the Padres doesn't have a good stat line, but he is striking out 12.5 per 9 innings so he might luck into a quality start against the O's.

Well, just watching the 2 innings, I want to hit against Tate - even more than I want to hit against Hess.  He's got kindofa herky jerky thing in his motion, but it does nothing to fool the batter, because the ball's very easy to see coming out of his hand - and almost every pitch he threw had some hang to it.  I thought his stuff looked awful, tbh.      

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Lamet for the Padres doesn't have a good stat line, but he is striking out 12.5 per 9 innings so he might luck into a quality start against the O's.

If he's striking out 12.5 per 9 and he's going against our swiss cheese lineup he should have a 15 or 16 strikeout game.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he's striking out 12.5 per 9 and he's going against our swiss cheese lineup he should have a 15 or 16 strikeout game.

At least you will be working from home and that is always a win. Can't say the same about the Orioles. If the Orioles can eek out a win today it will be their first .500 or better month since August 2017. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At least you will be working from home and that is always a win. Can't say the same about the Orioles. If the Orioles can eek out a win today it will be their first .500 or better month since August 2017. 

It's a day game in the middle of the week.  And while I'm not exactly going out on a limb and saying this, I'm assuming that they're awful in these.  

I agree his debut was not without blemish, but this is exactly what the team should be doing, bringing up marginal guys, throwing them into the maelstrom, and giving them a chance to do what they can do. 

I liked David Hess And I was rooting for him to be successful, but he has enough of a track record to have shown that, barring some kind of transformation, this is just what are years, so designate him, free up his roster spot and bring up somebody else. For now, I’m very happy with Tate and I’m happy to give him the rest of the season.