I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

"cold"

"heartless"

"trust"

"how this looks"

Those terms don't compute.   They aren't measurable or quantifiable.

We signed on for a data-driven approach, that's what we are getting.   If the math points to a move, the move will happen.

Yeah, this. Everything is based on data and value. There are going to be some tough ones. It doesn't mean Elias is going to cut every good young player once they reach a high arbitration year. That's a false equivalency that doesn't take into account the data for the particular player. 

27 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow Redskins, please give up the HOF BS

Manny hit .259 last year, isn't in the top 5 in ML 3B

He has a really good shot at the Orioles HOF, Cooperstown not going to happen

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Playing shortstop really hurts him as he is so bad at it.  He played 35 games at Short last year.  

I mean he has a chance to make the Hall of Fame but odds point to no.  He doesn't seem to warrant at this point.  He has 3 gold gloves but the last one was in 2015.   He has 1200 hits.  Seems remote chance to get 3000 hits.   Never finished above fourth in MVP voting.  207 home runs so chance of getting to 500 homers seems like a long shot.  .279 average.   No post-season heroics.  

Could end up like Bobby Grich.  A lot of WAR but nothing that says put me in the hall of fame. 

It’s just way too early to speculate about this.    The biggest factor in HOF is how well does the player age.    Certainly 200 homers and 1200 hits through age 26 season is a very healthy start, but is he still putting up good numbers at age 35?     

FWIW, there is no other active player baseball age 26 or under who has 1200 hits right now.      Bryce Harper is second at 1079.    Harper has outhomered Manny, 219 to 206.    No other player 26 or under is above 139.     So, Manny definitely has a head start on an HOF career, but the race doesn’t always go to those who have the fastest start.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

That's my thinking too.  That being said, I am surprised no one (seemingly) wants to take a one year shot on Villar for $10M.  

I personally don’t care what they spend on Villar; I’d like to see him back in the orange. 

I also don’t think he earns his $10M next year because he played way over his head.  So I get that side of it too.

So assuming no one claimed, we could in theory still work out a deal before the 8pm deadline tonight. 

If you're his agent, what do you say to a 2/$12 deal? Is he beating that on the open market? You guarantee him a bit more than he'd make in one year from arbitration, but it's a safety net for him in case he has a down year. 

I don't think Elias wants to do that, but who knows. If not, I'm curious to see what he goes for as a free agent. 

With Profar now in San Diego, the A’s can turn to one of Franklin Barreto, Jorge Mateo or Sheldon Neuse at second base. Alternatively, they can explore a saturated market of second base options — both in free agency and in trade — and hope to land a quality veteran a discount rate.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/athletics-trade-jurickson-profar-padres.html

1 minute ago, weams said:

Profar hit .254/.335/.458 with the Rangers in 2018 but saw those numbers slip to .218/.301/.410 with the A’s in 2019. Of greater concern were Profar’s suddenly glaring defensive woes, as he developed a mild case of the yips early in the season that led to 11 throwing errors (and an ugly -10 Defensive Runs Saved mark).

Weird move for SD. This is the guy you want to round out your infield for a postseason push? It's like Villar is invisible right now. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Weird move for SD. This is the guy you want to round out your infield for a postseason push? It's like Villar is invisible right now. 

I usually have absolutely no understanding of what AJ Preller is trying to do in general.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

So assuming no one claimed, we could in theory still work out a deal before the 8pm deadline tonight. 

If you're his agent, what do you say to a 2/$12 deal? Is he beating that on the open market? You guarantee him a bit more than he'd make in one year from arbitration, but it's a safety net for him in case he has a down year. 

I don't think Elias wants to do that, but who knows. If not, I'm curious to see what he goes for as a free agent. 

He'd probably ask for 3/18 to 3/21. Hes definately worth that but would he be to the planning to lose Orioles?