Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I think some of it likely informs their decision. But he isn’t going away anytime soon.

I don't know if the ownership is hands on enough to make judgements about whether guys in RF/LF are MLB ready, or the quality of Mancini's defense in RF vs 1B.

You really think ownership is looking that closely and saying once [Mountcastle / Hays / Diaz] is MLB ready THEN we will make this decision?

I'm pretty skeptical of that.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Apparently.  I'm just curious how far it extends. 

For him to still be on the roster shows they are already unreasonable.

For the reasons I already stated, I knew they weren't going to release him during the season.   If this game of "you hang up first" continues to Spring Training, then I'm moving from the "head in the sand" to the unreasonable camp.

No-You-hang-up-first_o_121486.jpg

• Haha 2

I'm not suggesting that I think Davis should walk away from the money, but imagine being 33 years old, having more money than 99.9% of people in the world, and sticking with a job you are no longer capable of doing well that keeps you away from your wife and young kids most of the year - just for more money. He must be convinced that  he is going to get better or that they will cut him and pay him. What else could be going through his head?

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm not suggesting that I think Davis should walk away from the money, but imagine being 33 years old, having more money than 99.9% of people in the world, and sticking with a job you are no longer capable of doing well that keeps you away from your wife and young kids most of the year - just for more money. He must be convinced that  he is going to get better or that they will cut him and pay him. What else could be going through his head?

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

moneyfight.gif

• Upvote 3

Idk, CD is in the power position for another year or two when it comes to a buyout because these yearly paydays are so large.  He can continue to pluck money from the money tree. 

Offering a present value on future earnings is usually a no-brainer, you take the money now and invest it so your future is better than if you rode out the deal not knowing what market dynamics might be.  Now we're in an election sequence and there is market insecurity... CD might continue to ride it out.  He has the right.  But every day he does it is a reminder of the BAD deal to anyone interested and it raises questions as to the validity of ownerships's dedication to the GM's process.  That's bad optics for the organization.

"CD, we wish things would have worked out better for both of us.  We love you.  Good bye."  Headline of the Sun Sports page on November 15.

Ownership can put it to bed when they wish.  CD can go to bed when he feels like it.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I don't know if the ownership is hands on enough to make judgements about whether guys in RF/LF are MLB ready, or the quality of Mancini's defense in RF vs 1B.

You really think ownership is looking that closely and saying once [Mountcastle / Hays / Diaz] is MLB ready THEN we will make this decision?

I should have specified the FO. While I think it’s an ownership decision on Davis I do think how the team is constructed by Elias will inform that decision at some point.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Are the sons too stubborn to know when to cut their losses?  Davis wasn't blocking anyone from the roster this season, even in a rebuild year. 

So, when guys are pushing to be called up based on performance then I think Elias makes his case. And they’re not there yet. So, no big deal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

The bigger question is whether ME has the kind of comfort level in relationship with the sons to have already addressed the issue even during an interview and to have a plan in place....namely ME saying...”We certainly can give him 2019 and see if he can recover any value because there is not going to be much blocked by that...but, I would feel you would want me always to be frank and tell you when he is blocking the rebuild and then you can decide what as ownership you want to do next.” 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, AceKing said:

Sports stars are not MENSA students.  They throw balls.

True.  It's when they venture into "building they brand" through social media that they get into trouble.  But they will make they take on that, and far be it from me to get in they way when they feel the urge to do a little polishing.

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I should have specified the FO. While I think it’s an ownership decision on Davis I do think how the team is constructed by Elias will inform that decision at some point.

So, when guys are pushing to be called up based on performance then I think Elias makes his case. And they’re not there yet. So, no big deal.

This will change starting next season. If Davis isn't waived by the 2020 all star, I'm going to be concerned. Mountcastle will be ready. Austin Hays might be ready. If none of the other players (who play OF/1B/DH) on the 25 man roster today are traded or released, Davis will be a blocker with his continued presence on the roster. 

17 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

That's an easy deflection.  Just let it lay in Dad's lap.  Perhaps the sons don't want to insult their father.  Who knows?  Ok, I can respect that, yet CD trotting out on the field everyday is a constant reminder of the error AND of the old "meddling" and old "way" Peter used to do things.  CD is a contradiction to the press conference the brothers held with Elias.

...me too given that DD traded for Trumbo about a month before the Orioles upped their own offer on CD to sign him.  I believe the Sun or Washington Post has an article where Dan states that Trumbo is a player that could fill the power void on the team in the event CD were to sign with another team.  I forget the actual timing or the line in the paper, but the Davis signing was looked at as surprising after the Trumbo trade.

You’ve got to be kidding if you think there was any involvement of current ownership in that transaction. There was none. Scott Boras went directly to Peter in opposition to the staff that Peter has assembled. Now did Buck and Brady and Jones support it? Probably. Should they have?  That’s why they are gone likely. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, murph said:

I am sure atomic will be here any moment recanting his comment and apologizing for the error.   

I do however agree that (Luck vs Davis) are completely different situations.   

Lemme guess, atomic was making some out of left field comments about Luck?  Or questioning his manhood?  

Hey atomic!!  Ignore feature is working wonders over here.

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This will change starting next season. If Davis isn't waived by the 2020 all star, I'm going to be concerned. Mountcastle will be ready. Austin Hays might be ready. If none of the other players (who play OF/1B/DH) on the 25 man roster today are traded or released, Davis will be a blocker with his continued presence on the roster. 

If Davis is in camp next year, I am going to have a stroke.  Frobby already said that he'd come visit in the hospital.

I'm not a Mountcastle believer but the dude deserves a shot, as does Hays.  Stewart, provided he doesn't have an awful September, deserves an extended look.  Davis not only doesn't produce but he clogs the roster in a huge, huge number of ways.  IMO, that's more damaging than his albatross salary.  The salary sucks, he's not living up to it and that's that.  Won't be the first player to have a large contract that he doesn't live up to, won't be the last.  But I've got a big ass problem with the fact that he's getting in the way of giving younger players a shot.  And it's not just like he's blocking another 1B prospect, his existence on the roster bleeds into the outfield being clogged, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Union can't stop a buyout.

I wonder if Davis' camp approach ownership with a buyout if they could even get in the door?  I could see the old man refusing.

Peter Angelos is unfortunately in very ill health. From everything I've heard, I would be very surprised if he is involved in any decisions at all.

9 minutes ago, theocean said:

Peter Angelos is unfortunately in very ill health. From everything I've heard, I would be very surprised if he is involved in any decisions at all.

I agree, but the boys are new at this, and I cant see them being quick to make this type of decision that cost them dearly (either way).