There have been a lot of good developments this year

Frobby

6 hours ago, theocean said:

Say what you will, but I always felt that the most exciting play in baseball was watching to see if Kevin Millar had the speed and, most importantly, stamina to actually make it to second base on a ball hit to the gap.

He might slide two feet short. 

8 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why you are comparing him to DHs on teams that won 65 games.  Is that our goal to have players that are as good as the worst players on 65 win teams?  Why not compare to winning teams.  Like 2014 team when we had Nelson Cruz.

Also Kevin Miller was never primary DH on Orioles.  

He has worse numbers that Pedro Alvarez had in 2016 for the team. And that was a year without a juiced baseball.

You know exactly what I'm doing - I'm comparing him to the type of player you begged the team to sign, but instead they acquired a average MLB DH for nothing, are paying him nothing, and all you do is complain that he's not Nelson Cruz at peak suspicion.

Núñez is having about as good a year as 2016 Pedro Alvarez. Except at 1/10th the salary and he doesn't need to be platooned so he'll get around 600 PAs instead of 376.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, theocean said:

Say what you will, but I always felt that the most exciting play in baseball was watching to see if Kevin Millar had the speed and, most importantly, stamina to actually make it to second base on a ball hit to the gap.

I've heard it all depended on whether Millar was feeling Cowboy-up that game or not.

23 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Which is better:

.227/.290/.400/.690  26HR, 71 RBI

.264/.328/.487/.815  27 HR, 80 RBI

One is the slash line of the DH spot from 2018 (.227/.290/.400/.690  26HR, 71 RBI)

The other is the slash line of the DH spot from 2019 (.264/.328/.487/.815  27 HR, 80 RBI)

Improvement from one year to the other is what rebuilding clubs should do.  This improved DH slash line is mostly because of Renato Nunez.  Trying to make it sound like Renato Nunez is not worthy of a roster spot on this team is something only a poster with "Sour Grapes Attitude" or " Limited Intelligence Capabilities" would postulate. IMO

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You know exactly what I'm doing - I'm comparing him to the type of player you begged the team to sign, but instead they acquired a average MLB DH for nothing, are paying him nothing, and all you do is complain that he's not Nelson Cruz at peak suspicion.

Núñez is having about as good a year as 2016 Pedro Alvarez. Except at 1/10th the salary and he doesn't need to be platooned so he'll get around 600 PAs instead of 376.

It's not suspicion with Nellie. It's admitted and factual! That's how we got him! And Bless him, he learned the technique well. 

43 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

One is the slash line of the DH spot from 2018 (.227/.290/.400/.690  26HR, 71 RBI)

The other is the slash line of the DH spot from 2019 (.264/.328/.487/.815  27 HR, 80 RBI)

Improvement from one year to the other is what rebuilding clubs should do.  This improved DH slash line is mostly because of Renato Nunez.  Trying to make it sound like Renato Nunez is not worthy of a roster spot on this team is something only a poster with "Sour Grapes Attitude" or " Limited Intelligence Capabilities" would postulate. IMO

I like your point about how the DH spot did this year vs. last year.    I don’t like the final sentence; it’s just not worth getting down to that level after you’ve already made a great point.  

51 minutes ago, weams said:

It's not suspicion with Nellie. It's admitted and factual! That's how we got him! And Bless him, he learned the technique well. 

2013.   And if he has escaped detection in 6 seasons despite constant monitoring, then kudos to him.  I tend to think he has not and he is just a remarkable exception, but who knows?    But one thing for sure is that his performance at his age ranks with the best in baseball history. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/8/6/20757344/nelson-cruz-twins-older-players-war-david-ortiz-barry-bonds-mcgwire-martinez

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t like the final sentence; it’s just not worth getting down to that level after you’ve already made a great point.  

Sorry, couldn't take no more of a certain poster.  Although i have him on IGNORE, others seem to feel a need to feed.

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

2013.   And if he has escaped detection in 6 seasons despite constant monitoring, then kudos to him.  I tend to think he has not and he is just a remarkable exception, but who knows?    But one thing for sure is that his performance at his age ranks with the best in baseball history. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/8/6/20757344/nelson-cruz-twins-older-players-war-david-ortiz-barry-bonds-mcgwire-martinez

As we know with all of the Biogenesis folk, they were caught by paper trail, not by testing. Our testing is way behind the technology. For those willing to follow the regimen. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Also, it's not an issue to want for a fan favorite to have BEEN clean. It's just that Nellie wasn't and we got him cheap because of that. For a year. His next contract ended up great. But it was certainly an outlier for a DH at his age in a league that no longer has those guys. 

15 minutes ago, weams said:

As we know with all of the Biogenesis folk, they were caught by paper trail, not by testing. Our testing is way behind the technology. For those willing to follow the regimen. 

Perhaps.  Or not.  At which point you calling him a cheat and a liar all these years would be revealed to have been pretty unfair. 

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Perhaps.  Or not.  At which point you calling him a cheat and a liar all these years would be revealed to have been pretty unfair. 

No no. I am not calling him a cheat. He told you he was a cheat. And he has never spoken about his current state. 

• Upvote 1

Alberto and Santander have become some of my favorites to watch.  When you talk about things that went well this year, I think this list of players who have a lower WAR than Alberto is pretty funny:

Edwin Encarnacion

Andrew Benintendi

Shohei Ohtani

Chris Sale

Yu Darvish

Trey Mancini

Paul Goldschmidt

Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Lorenzo Cain

Zach Britton

Charlie Blackmon

Joc Pederson