2019 #11 Prospect: Dean Kremer - RHP

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, now said:

He was 91 before, now 93-96? That should move him up a few notches...

According to 2080, he was opening games at 92-93 before settling in at 88-91. If he could sit at 93-96 a big jump would be warranted, but it is more likely that is max effort, and where he might sit as a reliever, not a starter. It would definitely be nice if he could get to where he could sit at 93 though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

How we piece together 1450 innings is going to be interesting to watch, and for years.

Videos like this are exciting, but I agree that's Max Effort stuff.  I don't think Kremer can do that 30 x 100 times, but maybe he can 40 x 50 times?   Which lane will Blood and the pitching strategists steer him to?  Can deployment be perfected enough to get to 1450 with two Three and Flees replacing one Five and Dive as the daily main course for the 75% of the MLB starting pitchers at or below Jake Odorizzi's level?  Certainly a truckload of guys with options helps that effort.  Earl liked four man rotations because finding five was too hard - I'd love to know what he thinks of this.

For when the most progressive teams are trying their best - in the Rays-Astros divisional series

-Glasnow faced 20 batters in Game 1

-Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell faced just 14 batters in Game 2 despite letting in just 1 run

-Morton faced 21 batters in Game 3 (may have been conserved strategically as Rays led 8-1 after his 5 innings)

-In game 4, Tampa's pitchers faced 7/7/7/6/4/2 batters while limiting the Astros to 1 run (Save - Cy Snell).  Will any teams in 2020 simply displace their 5th starter with this gameplan on the regular?

-Game 5 Glasnow tipped pitches and Cole sat on them, but Snell relieved again.

The Rays limited the Astros to 5 PA by batters seeing a pitcher a 3rd time.

And then later in October, Patrick Corbin getting used to relief goes full Andrew Miller in Game 7 of the World Series.

Teams will always need a horse or two to collect Cy Young votes (peak Rutschman teams with maybe as many as four aimed shots at that guy with Hall/Rodriguez/2020 1-X/2021 1-X), but maybe that's all with enough middle distance options.

With one extra roster spot....125 Baumann + 110 Kremer + 95 Akin > 170 Tillman + 140 Ubaldo??   Are marginal innings 100-175 for this caliber of pitcher worth anything?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I know it's only 1+ innings of his first ST game, but just eye-ball test... Kremer looks ML ready to me. Nice job locating the fastball, 95 according to reports, and of course the good curve we've heard about. 

Good presence out there and looked to have a plan.

If he continues to pitch well this spring, I don't see much reason to get him more reps in AAA. I think he's pretty much ready to do his thing and learn his craft at the big league level. But we'll see. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know it's only 1+ innings of his first ST game, but just eye-ball test... Kremer looks ML ready to me. Nice job locating the fastball, 95 according to reports, and of course the good curve we've heard about. 

If he continues to pitch well this spring, I don't see much reason to get him more reps in AAA. I think he's pretty much ready to do his thing and learn his craft at the big league level. But we'll see. 

Pretty much exactly what I thought re: looking like he'd been out there before. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dean Kremer is the one pitcher outside of Hall and Rodriguez I'm looking forward to seeing.  Seems to have good stuff, high K rate, solid control.  

Plus the dude just looks like a pitcher.

I was impressed the times I saw him towards the end of last year he seemed to get better as the game went on, threw harder and was spotting his curves for K’s

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Not sure why you got neg repped for this post.   Fat finger I guess.  

But, Kremer is someone I am definitely looking forward to seeing this year.  Would be nice to see one of our pitchers striking out hitters left and right if he can carry that to the MLB team.  

Kremer was ok overall but his curveball was inconsistent. The one change I saw was high and outside to a lefty. I like hearing the fact he hit 95 in his second inning. He was facing some low minor leaguers in the 8th and 9th, but the only ball hit really hard was a curveball that he left up in the zone.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

I have no idea who would’ve down voted this comment. It looks all thumbs up to me.