Winter Warm-up, Birdland Brunch, and Brews and O's

MurphDogg

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not suggesting it was some huge black eye fiasco just that overall it was a net loss for the brand.

I thought they would get some bright young minds in that would take over the social media accounts and produce interesting content, not do stuff like this.

I think they've absolutely done that and it was very strong during the season.

But then Olivia took a job elsewhere, and I'm not sure her talents have been replaced yet.

3 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Having gone to a number of Fan Fests in the last dark ages, they weren't exactly better in instilling faith and optimism.  You can put the event in any venue you want, confidence and optimism is grounded in the team and the players on it.  If you're not looking forward to that, you're not going to see much to find enjoyable.

I think having it outdoors was kind of a weird choice in December. And if you're looking to meet any players, that's not going to happen. Otherwise, it's the same event sounds like. Why did they make the change? I don't know that anyone really knows. 

But on the upside, there's MORE stuff in the offseason. There's a thing coming up in January, etc. So I think they are overall being more vocal and more available. They just aren't involving the players, which - IMO - is a really good call. Let the players focus on their offseason, and you avoid the Schoop-type drama. It's much easier to just not have them available for stuff until the season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think they've absolutely done that and it was very strong during the season.

But then Olivia took a job elsewhere, and I'm not sure her talents have been replaced yet.

I don't recall her work so I'm going to have to disagree with you.  I'm talking the type of activity that gets picked up by the internet at large.  I don't recall seeing that from the O's last year. 

Even if she was highly talented them allowing her to leave and not replacing her with someone of equal worth still shows against them in this case.

BTW she jumped ship to the Athletic.  Wow if they crash they are going to take a lot of folks with them.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall her work so I'm going to have to disagree with you.  I'm talking the type of activity that gets picked up by the internet at large.  I don't recall seeing that from the O's last year. 

Even if she was highly talented them allowing her to leave and not replacing her with someone of equal worth still shows against them in this case.

BTW she jumped ship to the Athletic.  Wow if they crash they are going to take a lot of folks with them.

I dunno man. I saw a ton of good twitter stuff from the O's last year. It was a noticeable change from the prior year, IMO.

But, you know, we disagree on absolutely everything unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

MASN crashes before the Athletic is my guess.  5 months a year, it carries little to no original content.  During the baseball season, you get the yin/yang of the worst (or 2nd worst) team in baseball and the current Champs.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

MASN crashes before the Athletic is my guess.  5 months a year, it carries little to no original content.  During the baseball season, you get the yin/yang of the worst (or 2nd worst) team in baseball and the current Champs.

Very possible.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around the repercussions of a hypothetical Athletic collapse.  Would be a lot more folks released into the job market than the market could sustain.  A lot of really talented folks would be in a bad position.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Very possible.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around the repercussions of a hypothetical Athletic collapse.  Would be a lot more folks released into the job market than the market could sustain.  A lot of really talented folks would be in a bad position.

Why would you think the Athletic might crash?

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last offseason when he was doing things like the AMA on Reddit I thought Elias got it.

Things like this make me wonder if that is actually the case.  I don't see how this event comes out as a net win for the Orioles or their brand.

I agree this thing appears to have been a disaster.   But is it really under Elias's purview?   Or is it more on the PR side of things?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It has yet to show its business model is profitable.  It has raised a great deal of money(90M) and spent a lot of it.

I'm not an expert and I'm not predicting anything but it seems possible.

Fair enough. I guess anything is possible.