Who Are Your Top Three Rule 5 Targets?

Beef Supreme

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the Orioles took Javier, basically they would just be stashing him for a year and maybe use him as a utility guy on occasion. Considering the way he hit last year, he might struggle to hit .150 at the major league level right now. 

Oh definitely. Absolutely. 

Of course the Orioles slugging first baseman hits .150

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-in-the-2019-rule-5-draft

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the Orioles took Javier, basically they would just be stashing him for a year and maybe use him as a utility guy on occasion. Considering the way he hit last year, he might struggle to hit .150 at the major league level right now. 

Right. Unless the O's set aside an instruction/development program for him as he traveled with the MLB team and watched 130 games instead of playing, I think the risk of stunting his development is pretty high. 

With most teams using indoor cages now rather than on field batting practice, maybe you could work up a plan to have him hit 500 balls a day and work on strength and conditioning but I've never heard of that being done. 

13 minutes ago, weams said:

I disagree. With a second pick, a backend starter or an infielder should be available. 

I just mean it’s a good idea to temper expectations. Though I guess it’s arguable whether or not it’s too much to expect for a rule 5 to hold his own in what is sure to be the worst rotation in baseball.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Right. Unless the O's set aside an instruction/development program for him as he traveled with the MLB team and watched 130 games instead of playing, I think the risk of stunting his development is pretty high. 

With most teams using indoor cages now rather than on field batting practice, maybe you could work up a plan to have him hit 500 balls a day and work on strength and conditioning but I've never heard of that being done. 

Would he be required to travel with the team and suit up every day? Or could we carry him and play a man down while he works out?

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And I would be great with that, personally. He’s a talented kid that had some injuries, mostly a non-throwing shoulder labrum tear. He was a $4 million signing bonus. And the Orioles can steal him for $100,000. I want him, Buddy Reed and Jose Fermin. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

And I would be great with that, personally. He’s a talented kid that had some injuries, mostly a non-throwing shoulder labrum tear. He was a $4 million signing bonus. And the Orioles can steal him for $100,000. I want him, Buddy Reed and Jose Fermin. 

I'm convinced we wind up with one pitcher and one position player. Maybe we pick both or maybe pick one and trade for one. 

Do you have a pitcher you would take?

• Upvote 1

I mean he wouldn't get a 4M bonus now. So it's not really a steal. Of the project high risk/high upside MI. I'd lean Ruiz personally. 

Are the Orioles going to have the patience to stick with an under-cooked bat for later upside? Maybe. Getting one the better arms might be a safer call/less roster crunch.

44 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

It certainly would be a different way to use the Rule 5 draft. With the 26th man now, maybe that's the way they'll go.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I'm convinced we wind up with one pitcher and one position player. Maybe we pick both or maybe pick one and trade for one. 

Do you have a pitcher you would take?

I just thought we pretty much added a rule 5 type with Marcos Diplan. And we added Isaac Mattson from the Angels. My two picks for position player would be Wander Javier and Buddy Reed. Each would fill a bench role with a lot of development to do. Both are premium athletes and Reed is an excellent CF. Javier has all the tools, but a long way to go developmentally. I looked at Esteury Ruiz of the Padres, but I would want a better defensive player. Though his offensive upside seems considerable. 

That said, Luke has been dissecting video on the pitchers, and I will defer to him. There is a few interesting names out there. But Dauris Valdez has huge upside. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

That said, Luke has been dissecting video on the pitchers, and I will defer to him. There is a few interesting names out there. But Dauris Valdez has huge upside. 

Nice. That's a new name for me. He sure has upside if he's fixable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

Nice. That's a new name for me. He sure has upside if he's fixable. 

I doubt the Orioles would select a pitcher with no shot at competing this year though, so Valdez and all the other single A pitchers are likely not going to be selected by Baltimore. They’d likely go with a guy like Barlow, or perhaps the lefty that Luke brought up On another thread. Name escapes me right now. 

• Upvote 2