Buck interviewing for Astros job

Frobby

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

Buck made too many mistakes in his final years here to be worth serious consideration by any team,  and given his derisive  comments about stats, he seems the last person the Astros would be interested in.

He has integrity.  He wouldn't get into beaning wars with other teams.  He wouldn't allow the Astro's to cheat.  The team needs to improve their image with all the stuff that went on this off-season. One thing you would expect from Buck is a team that is going to do things honestly. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bochy seems to be the only on the managers list that is more qualified than Buck.  But does Bochy want the job?

I thought I read somewhere that Bochy wasn't interested in managing this season. Bochy definitely has the best resume of anyone out there though. I never thought of him as anything particularly great in San Diego but the 3 championships in SF I think say something to him as a strategist in the postseason but I don't know his philosophy.

3 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I thought I read somewhere that Bochy wasn't interested in managing this season. Bochy definitely has the best resume of anyone out there though. I never thought of him as anything particularly great in San Diego but the 3 championships in SF I think say something to him as a strategist in the postseason but I don't know his philosophy.

Bochy didn't know that he could be offered to manage a WS team.  Will that chance his mind?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not strictly Orioles-related, but since we’re discussing the Astros’ situation on this board, this certainly seemed like fair game.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28495642/source-astros-interview-buck-showalter-managerial-vacancy

Buck seems a little Old School for the Astros, but maybe that’s a good antidote for their current situation and perhaps Buck can learn some new tricks in an organization that has a very strong analytical bent.   

As an Astros fan I don’t think Buck is the answer.  

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

He has integrity.  He wouldn't get into beaning wars with other teams.  He wouldn't allow the Astro's to cheat.  The team needs to improve their image with all the stuff that went on this off-season. One thing you would expect from Buck is a team that is going to do things honestly. 

Honesty is the first thing you expect from a manager, and not the last.

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it makes a lot of sense actually.

1. No-nonsense guy who is great with dodging pesky reporter questions and spinning things. If there's any shenanigans in the dugout, he'll clean it up while deflecting the controversy easily.

35 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Well let’s see.....

he apparently outlawed “pies” 

but allowed Manny to play SS.

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

Neither of those things have anything to do with what I just said. So that's pretty weird. 

“pies” ....... player shenanigans 

Manny at SS ....... lineup card shenanigans 

I will agree with you he was skilled at dodging pesky reporters questions about the above shenanigans!

• Upvote 1