O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

1.6 in dWAR that year. Crazy. And basically the difference between Mancini's 2019 and Pearce's 2014. 

Yes, I think the defensive element of his fluke WAR total from that year is really underappreciated.    Per Rfield (same thing as Rdrs), he was +18 that year, -7 the rest of his career combined with a high (other than 2014) of +4.    We all know guys can have unexpected offensive years, but an outlier defensive year like that seems quite unusual.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I think the defensive element of his fluke WAR total from that year is really underappreciated.    Per Rfield (same thing as Rdrs), he was +18 that year, -7 the rest of his career combined with a high (other than 2014) of +4.    We all know guys can have unexpected offensive years, but an outlier defensive year like that seems quite unusual.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You like outlier better?  Problem with outlier is you have to include inexplicably poor seasons.

Well, I agree with Frobby here that his dWAR was probably pretty flukey. I think offensively, he simply had a peak season when he was healthy and he was just the best version of himself. Statistically, yeah, an outlier, but I think that talent is for real. He's not a 6 WAR player, but I buy the 3 WAR. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, AnythingO's said:

I might be mis-remembering but didn't either Tony or Luke comment that Mountcastle's arm strength was average but his footwork and throwing mechanics at 3rd were more the problem. 

Mountcastle's arm strength was below average in the infield due to the mechanics and foot work. His arm plays up a bit with the ability to wind up from the outfield, but it's still a below average outfield arm overall. But it's not Mullins bad so it won't be a situation where runners are taking extra bases at will.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, atomic said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy that started well over 200 hundred games in the minors at Shortstop can't play an average first base. His knock on the left side of the infield was his arm. That shouldn't be a problem at first. 

He can play 1st base, but he's a little stiff over there and needs experience. He'd be below average over there right now, but not significantly. He brings more value if he can play LF because it's easier to find a 1B, but i would never say he couldn't play 1B at the major league level.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...