Broadcasting changes

eddie83

21 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

The press release didn't mention whether the Orioles will have a sideline reporter at all. I tend to think baseball doesn't particularly need them.

How else will you get those cringe worthy interviews of player's moms and kids during the broadcast? :D

Tell you what, the one thing that is clear from reading this thread is that announcers are certainly "personal taste" for the viewer/listener. Some people love a guy/gal, some dislike them. Kudos to the Orioles bring some different perspectives. Personally I hope some of the new announces will delve into the stat cast era of statistics and not worry about how many "steaks" a player has.

Saying that, it must be a balance for there a lot of older fans who don't understand or want to understand these new stats. No offense to anyone, but the fact there is little chance of a Hunter/Bordick booth made my day. 

Nothing worse then having our announcers act like you just collected a game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th when it's a meaningless home run down 10-2 in the 8th inning. The appropriate amount of excitement for the moment was a struggle for Hunter. 

I also hope none of the new announcers will come from that same "describe everything the TV camera shows" to the TV viewer who is watching the same thing. Also, during replays, don't describe what happened again, provide actual analysis or if there is none to add, allow it to just happen. 

Either way, I look forward to the new crews to see what they add.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As good as Thorne and Palmer are now, I have to agree with you that Lowenstein and Proctor were better. Even a game that was a blowout was made entertaining with them on the call. I remember when Lowenstein wasn't brought back that a lot of it had to do with Angelos thinking he was too much of a character and not professional enough on the air. 

Hit the snot outta that one

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I noticed that they weren't clear on the roles for the new people.  That's probably intentional so they can move people around as they see fit.

I am sure Melanie Newman knows her stuff.  You don't get promoted to being on ML coverage for a team if you don't.  

That said, I hope she's not doing the play by play.  

Why? Because she's only done it for the minor leagues? You gotta start somewhere. I don't see any reason she wouldn't be able handle the majors.

7 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Why? Because she's only done it for the minor leagues? You gotta start somewhere. I don't see any reason she wouldn't be able handle the majors.

I'll take your bait.  Ready for the sexist comment of the day? 

Per my previous post, I know she knows her stuff.  I'm not questioning her knowledge of the game.  

I simply don't like the sound of a woman's voice in the broadcast booth.  Don't like Jessica Mendoza.  Don't like Suzyn Waldman's voice.  I'm not saying they don't know what they're talking about, I just don't like how it sounds.  Mendoza has made some good points, provided good insights, still don't really care for her.  

Flame on, tell me how backwards and unprogressive I am.  To be clear, I'm not saying they can't do the job, I just don't like the sound of the voice.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Per my previous post, I know she knows her stuff.  I'm not questioning her knowledge of the game.  

I simply don't like the sound of a woman's voice in the broadcast booth.  Don't like Jessica Mendoza.  Don't like Suzyn Waldman's voice.  I'm not saying they don't know what they're talking about, I just don't like how it sounds.  Mendoza has made some good points, provided good insights, still don't really care for her.  

Flame on, tell me how backwards and unprogressive I am.  To be clear, I'm not saying they can't do the job, I just don't like the sound of the voice.

Kinda like Geddy Lee?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's strange that I have to be the one to tell you this, but...not all women have the same voice. It's true! They have different tones and pitches and everything.

That's like saying, "Cris Collinsworth's voice annoys me, so I don't like men's voices." Sexist, backward, unprogressive, I suppose. But mainly it's just dumb.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

The current Orioles are as close to being in the minors as a major league team is going to get, so she should feel right at home!

It only matters to me whether she’s good at it.     I see no reason at all why a woman can’t accurately and enthusiastically describe a baseball game and entertain the fans. 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

A good voice is important, but I sure wouldn’t hold out Suzy Waldman’s voice as what you typically might get from a female announcer.