MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

Wall Street Journal article on canceling sports:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/canceled-games-and-empty-stadiums-will-the-coronavirus-spread-to-sports-11583163589

"Major League Baseball has more time to make decisions about the status of the season since Opening Day is March 26. As of now, spring training games are still being played across Florida and Arizona, and MLB has been in touch with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services. The sport’s collective bargaining agreement contains a provision for the mandatory establishment of a “safety and healthy advisory committee” to help handle situations like coronavirus. That committee isn’t empowered to establish policies, but it can make recommendations that the league and players’ union are encouraged to follow."

13 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

It's good to see fruit snacks are so important.

I bought celery a couple of days ago.  I guess non-existent calorie food like jalepeno peppers and celery won't help you survive and takes up refrigerator space.   

Death rate in Wuhan province was 5.8 percent as they said their healthcare facilities were overrun.  This after building 4 new hospitals in a few days. No way we are building a single hospital in a year.  And we aren't welding people into their apartment building to stop spread of disease.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

I bought celery a couple of days ago.  I guess non-existent calorie food like jalepeno peppers and celery won't help you survive and takes up refrigerator space.   

Death rate in Wuhan province was 5.8 percent as they said their healthcare facilities were overrun.  This after building 4 new hospitals in a few days. No way we are building a single hospital in a year.  And we aren't welding people into their apartment building to stop spread of disease.  

At the height of the quarantine .China placed give or take over 48 million in quarantine and over 400 million at the peak with some form of restriction of travel. United States would have civil unrest if that many people were restricted. It would not be pretty and would get ugly. They basically shuttered all factories and businesses in a country of nearly 1.4 billion people for a few weeks.

31 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Also don't shake hands. Not kidding. I saw the NBA will not let players high five the fans right now and no autographs with fans pens  or signing peoples clothes. 

These politicians going around with their rallies are going to get this disease .   Flying around the country and meeting as many people as possible seems to be sure-fire way to get it.  He is 60.   WHO has recommended people over 60 to avoid crowds.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:21 PM, atomic said:

The empty stadium would work as long at the players didn't start getting sick.  There seem to be flu outbreaks with the club.   Butt are you going to have minor league games in empty stadiums?  What do you do about that?  

Like others have said hopefully it doesn't get to that.  I don't see the schools cancelled for a month working either.  

I don't think they'd have to ban attendance for Orioles games.  The virus will only impact sporting events that draw large crowds.  (Sorry, gallows humor).  

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of unknowns out there right now.  The mortality rate for coronavirus appears to be between 2.0 - 2.5% - which is relatively low - but still 20 times greater than influenza (0.1%) which, as others have pointed out, has already been responsible for 18,000 deaths this year.  18,000 X 20 = 360,000 which is obviously certainly something to be concerned about.  

Hopefully the coronavirus turns out to be seasonal which will give the medical community more time to come up with a vaccine and to learn more about the virus... and also preserve the baseball season.   

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I don't think they'd have to ban attendance for Orioles games.  The virus will only impact sporting events that draw large crowds.  (Sorry, gallows humor).  

That type of humor is not permitted 'round here (or so I'm told).

img_9913.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

If you have an hour to spare, grab your tin foil hat, put your feet up, put down the book on chem trails, and...

tenor.gif

Too much for me of factual inaccuracies for me,plus no tin foil was found at the supermarket. Lasted a few minutes. But if the top officials can say this. I guess people can say whatever they want. She may end up like Tesla and talk to pigeons in the park. 

But corrected by a real medical person a few seconds later. 

You can't just rush a vaccine out,the harm may be worse then the cure. This happened with a vaccine that was rushed: 

History teaches us, however, that it won't be easy. The last time the U.S. recommended nationwide vaccination against a suspected swine flu was in 1976, with less than successful results, to say the least. Under orders from President Gerald Ford, a vaccine was rushed into production and administered to 45 million Americans, at a cost of $135 million. But within weeks, people started developing Guillain-Barré syndrome, a paralyzing immune-system disorder that can result from the vaccine. Some experts estimated the risk of Guillain-Barré as being seven times higher in those who were immunized vs. those who were not. After the immunization program was terminated nine months after it began, government officials paid $90 million in damages to patients who were injured by the vaccine. The widely feared swine flu epidemic never emerged.