What's your favorite interaction ever with an Orioles player, coach, or manager?

Greg Pappas

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

This is a great tonic for tough times. Thanks for posting.

Kinda why I posted it. NO baseball (shoulda had a MASN TV game last night and coming up Sunday grumblegrumblegrumble) and if there WAS baseball we'd just be getting our asses kicked! Gerritt Cole Opening Day was going to be no picnic... No chance of ONE day even in 1st place undefeated.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Kinda why I posted it. NO baseball (shoulda had a MASN TV game last night and coming up Sunday grumblegrumblegrumble) and if there WAS baseball we'd just be getting our asses kicked! Gerritt Cole Opening Day was going to be no picnic... No chance of ONE day even in 1st place undefeated.

Reminds me of the time Roger Clemens predicted throwing a no-hitter against the O's on opening day and we kicked his roid-raging ass.

In the winter of 1967 I got to play basketball with an Eastern Shore All Star team against a team of Orioles at the Civic Center in Salisbury. Played against Jim Palmer, Dave McNalley, Paul Blair, - a number of the members of the '66 World Series Champs except Frank. Had a joint party afterwards with our families at Bob Layton"s home in Salisbury. Bob was a well know sport's writer on The Shore and put on the event. I will always remember just how athletic they were on the court and how real nice they all were as well. My wife was pregnant with our second at the time and she still talks about how good looking Jim Palmer was. She's had a crush ever since. By the way, they won. But, I didn't care cause that was the highlight of my basketball experience. Also played against the Washington Senators but that doesn't come close to compare. Been a die-hard Orioles fan since 1954!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I’ve had almost none myself, but a buddy of mine who’s a luthier built an electric guitar for Mark Trumbo. He didn’t know who Trumbo was when the order came in, but then realized he was a pro baseball player. Trumbo loved the guitar and gave him a signed bat and photos when he picked it up and paid for it, without even being asked. 

10 hours ago, Orange said:

I interviewed Mike Mussina one time… In actuality I was an intern at WBAL and I put a microphone in his face in the locker room.  It was after a one-hitter though which is pretty cool.  It’s funny what stands out… I remember Gregg Zaun’s wannabe hipster outfit  in his locker with like a silk vest.  That, and Cal being there was pretty epic. 

The Indians game? That’s so cool! 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Reminds me of the time Roger Clemens predicted throwing a no-hitter against the O's on opening day and we kicked his roid-raging ass.

2002 Opener? That was the same date as the Terps NCAA championship game IIRC. I had a beer in hand and ate terrible food for about twelve straight hours that day! Epic.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200204010.shtml

Years ago at spring training my brothers and I went to the Sarasota dog track one night. We spotted Troy Patton and he struck up a conversation with us like we were old friends. He said that he had been sent down that day and was preparing to drown his sorrows. I’m still struck by how open and honest he was with a few fans, but the conversation later took on a more somber tone based on how his career played out.

On a lighter note, a few weeks ago at spring training Richie Martin had a great game in Bradenton with a triple, couple RBIs, a great defensive play. As he was running back to the lockers in the 7th inning or so I was sitting a couple rows back right next to the dugout, and just said “Great game, Richie!” He paused, turned, looked me dead in the eyes, pointed At me and said “thank you!”

He’s fighting for a job and seemed genuinely appreciative of the recognition, especially in an opposing stadium. It made my trip. Better than an autograph.

• Upvote 4

A lot of good stories shared... thanks all. @Eric-OH you mentioned Johnny Unitas, and even though this is an O's thread, I have to mention one of my more embarrassing memories. I was about 6-years old and was with my father at Memorial Stadium back in '71 or '72.  Johnny was walking around in the concourse and my dad recognized him and shook his hand excitedly. My dad introduced me and Johnny reached out with the largest hands I'd seen, and I became too scared to shake his hand. I just hugged my dad's leg as Johnny laughed a bit, wished us well, smiled and said goodbye. ARGH! LOL!

• Upvote 2

I remember going to a game at Memorial Stadium and getting a seat on one end of the first row, just to the left of the screen behind home plate.

As infield practice was going on, Elrod Hendricks came over and started signing autographs for kids who were lined up in the aisle next to me.  I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to ask for an autograph and make some kid wait while he signed for me, so I just let the kids get theirs.

The first few kids brought their own pens, but then one just handed Elrod a sheet of paper.  Elrod looked at him and said, "Did you think I brought a pen out to the field with me?"

I had a pen in my pocket, so I said "Here, you can use my pen."

He signed using my pen for a while, then said to me, "This is a nice pen.  It fits my hand real nice.  Would you trade it for a baseball?"

I said that I would, but he laughed and said he was just kidding.

Eventually the time came for practice to end, so he told the kids in the aisle that he was sorry, but he had to go back to the clubhouse now, so he couldn't sign any more autographs.

And as the kids turned to go, he pulled a baseball out of his hip pocket, signed it, and gave it to me.

He gave my pen back to me, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, WillyM said:

I remember going to a game at Memorial Stadium and getting a seat on one end of the first row, just to the left of the screen behind home plate.

As infield practice was going on, Elrod Hendricks came over and started signing autographs for kids who were lined up in the aisle next to me.  I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to ask for an autograph and make some kid wait while he signed for me, so I just let the kids get theirs.

The first few kids brought their own pens, but then one just handed Elrod a sheet of paper.  Elrod looked at him and said, "Did you think I brought a pen out to the field with me?"

I had a pen in my pocket, so I said "Here, you can use my pen."

He signed using my pen for a while, then said to me, "This is a nice pen.  It fits my hand real nice.  Would you trade it for a baseball?"

I said that I would, but he laughed and said he was just kidding.

Eventually the time came for practice to end, so he told the kids in the aisle that he was sorry, but he had to go back to the clubhouse now, so he couldn't sign any more autographs.

And as the kids turned to go, he pulled a baseball out of his hip pocket, signed it, and gave it to me.

He gave my pen back to me, too.

Good story. You know Ellie wouldn't have messed with you like that. Very good man, great with the fans.

• Upvote 1