Hawaiian Winter League Reps:

Big Mac

Or they see Hawaii as a distraction for a young kid and that he's being sort of punished in some way. :scratchchinhmm:

They could see Hawaii as unnecessary and a distraction and it could have nothing whatsoever to do with "punishing" him.

As to other opinions expressed in the thread. I'm sure Stockstill and MacPhail have a reason for sending each of the players on the roster. And, they don't have to tell me what those reasons were.

"Disappointing?" From a fan's perspective, maybe. "Pitiful" - get a grip.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There could be lots of reasons why the O's decided not to send Rowell to Hawaii. Maybe they feel that at age 19, his season was long enough already. Or maybe they have other ideas of what he can do this offseason to improve himself.

Agree with this. Not sure why people have been quick to criticize the decision to not send Rowell to Hawaii. I have not commented so, but I've thought it's been presumptuous speculation on the part of people assuming he should go.

I do not believe comparisons to Snider and Wieters last year are appropriate in determining whether Rowell should go or not.

Well said. I could definitely see Rowell moved to 1st - simply because of his lack of mobility.

I think Rowell should be given every chance to stick at 3rd. I've seen him play multiple times and his mobility isn't a huge issue, and his arm is very, very strong.

Moving him to first should be a last resort, IMO.

I think Rowell should be given every chance to stick at 3rd. I've seen him play multiple times and his mobility isn't a huge issue, and his arm is very, very strong.

Moving him to first should be a last resort, IMO.

Agree, keep him at the more difficult, and higher value, position until he proves he can't handle it. But, I'd like to see Snyder at 3B for Bowie, next season, with Rowell in Frederick and Kolodny at Delmarva.

Agree, keep him at the more difficult, and higher value, position until he proves he can't handle it. But, I'd like to see Snyder at 3B for Bowie, next season, with Rowell in Frederick and Kolodny at Delmarva.

I'd like to see Snyder at 3rd as well.

The more guys we have who can play 3rd, the better. It's much easier to shift guys off of 3rd base than 1st base.

I do not believe comparisons to Snider and Wieters last year are appropriate in determining whether Rowell should go or not.

Maybe they are, but for different reasons. Maybe we should consider the fact that he's too advanced for the league? It's comparable to a low A league, right? Snyder had an 'ok' year last year at low A, and then he won the batting title in Hawaii.

If you look at who we're sending, it's all low A ball type players (sorry Tim Bascom).

It seems to me that it would serve no good sending a player who's rumored to have a superiority complex to a league where he would be playing against lesser competition compared to Frederick. If the O's wanted to do that, they would have sent him back to Delmarva. I think it's more important to challenge him at this point.

No, the HWL is comparable to somewhere between High A, and AA.

http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com/about_hwb/faq

How does HWB fit into the overall baseball structure?

The National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues (NAPBL) has established four classifications for minor league baseball: AAA, AA, A and rookie level. The Arizona Fall League, which is owned and operated by Major League Baseball since 1992, fills the niche for winter baseball play primarily at the AAA level. Hawaii Winter Baseball provides winter baseball play for primarily A and AA levels.

I know that's the party line, but I don't see it. Put it this way: if Brandon Snyder was able to hit .379 in Hawaii, which is a between high A and AA, then why did we send him to Frederick afterwards? From what I've seen, HWL is somewhere between low A and high A, no matter what they say.

As to the AFL, it's a good AA league IMO.

IMO, Rowell is nowhere close to being where Wieters was a year ago and it would be silly to send him to Hawaii.

Snyder was coming back from injury and needed reps.

Rowell is fine. He finished the year fine. Let him go home and get stronger and more mature. I do not see the importance of Rowell getting to Hawaii.

I'm surprised that there was so much consternation about Rowell not playing in the HWL. He played a full season at Frederick; there's no harm in letting him rest and try to regroup for next season.

What I don't understand is why Miclat isn't going. He missed almost the entire summer because of the prolonged contract negotiations, but he looked good enough at Aberdeen to suggest that he could play at Delmarva or Frederick next season. The HWL could have given the O's some valuable information about whether he's ready for a full season league (and perhaps whether he could skip Delmarva).

Maybe the O's are miffed that he took so long to sign, and are punishing him a little? It's not like he'd be displacing any great prospects by going...I'd guess that Cliff Flagello, Brian Parker, Chris Salberg and Tyler Henson are the weakest group of prospects that any organization is sending.

I'm surprised that there was so much consternation about Rowell not playing in the HWL. He played a full season at Frederick; there's no harm in letting him rest and try to regroup for next season.

What I don't understand is why Miclat isn't going. He missed almost the entire summer because of the prolonged contract negotiations, but he looked good enough at Aberdeen to suggest that he could play at Delmarva or Frederick next season. The HWL could have given the O's some valuable information about whether he's ready for a full season league (and perhaps whether he could skip Delmarva).

Maybe the O's are miffed that he took so long to sign, and are punishing him a little? It's not like he'd be displacing any great prospects by going...I'd guess that Cliff Flagello, Brian Parker, Chris Salberg and Tyler Henson are the weakest group of prospects that any organization is sending.

I think the biggest reason that Miclat is "staying home" is because of his shoulder. Remember that he's still not 100% after having shoulder surgery and the O's may want him to focus on regaining his arm strength thru rehab & training this winter, as opposed to playing more games.

What I don't understand is why Miclat isn't going. He missed almost the entire summer because of the prolonged contract negotiations

Not really - Miclat took off for the Cape Cod league after deciding he wanted more $ and got some time in there before incurring a minor injury, IIRC. He most definitely did not take the summer off as suggested above.

Playing in Hawaii has little to do with Miclat's timetable or need for experience. It appears he needs to get 100% healthy. He is likely to start at DelMarva, IMO, and he should move to Frederick if healthy and productive.

Out of the prospects the Orioles have assigned to the West Oahu Canefires, which of those would be considered to have the most potential? I just ask because I'm stationed out here in Honolulu and planned to go to a few games, like I did last Fall. I just wanted to if there were any players in particular to keep an eye on, or have my kid get an autograph from. :-) Last year one of my sons was able to get Matt Weiters autograph, among others.

Out of the prospects the Orioles have assigned to the West Oahu Canefires, which of those would be considered to have the most potential? I just ask because I'm stationed out here in Honolulu and planned to go to a few games, like I did last Fall. I just wanted to if there were any players in particular to keep an eye on, or have my kid get an autograph from. :-) Last year one of my sons was able to get Matt Weiters autograph, among others.

I'd say Henson is the best prospect that we sent down there, I think he has the most potential.

Archived