Contraction of MiLB

cboemmeljr

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, Hagerstown is already on the contraction list.  So if they want to add Frederick they will need to dump a different affiliate.

Do we have evidence of the Learners investing in the infrastructure of their minor league facilities?

Do any MLB teams invest (extensively) in the infrastructure of minor league teams? Aside from Spring Training facilities that are used by minor league teams, is that something that is done?

When the Carolina League Potomac Nationals moved to a new ballpark in Fredericksburg, it's not like the MLB team footed the bill. 

Edited by Bill Swaggerty

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, Hagerstown is already on the contraction list.  So if they want to add Frederick they will need to dump a different affiliate.

Do we have evidence of the Learners investing in the infrastructure of their minor league facilities?

Two of the Nationals teams are on the contraction list.  Hagerstown Suns of the Sally League and the Auburn Doubleday of the NY Penn League.  That leaves the Nationals without a Low  A League team.    I have to think they are going to add a team.

If Frederick becomes available because the O's have to subtract a team then the Nationals are a logical team to move a franchise  there.

Maybe you are right about investment but I don't see Frederick without a affiliated minor league team considering the fan base that is there.

I don't think the O's will let the Frederick fan base go.

• 1 month later...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/minor-league-baseball-changes-negotiating-teams.html

In brief, as he puts it: “The group that was disbanded on Monday was viewed by many to be more focused on the interests of MiLB owners rather than those of [MiLB president & CEO Pat O’Conner] and MiLB’s offices.”

No matter which negotiators attempt to close out the deal, it sounds as if contraction to 120 teams is now a fait accompli. While MiLB had built some leverage through political pressure, the global pandemic greatly undermined the organization’s position. If a bargain is struck, MLB is sure to gain much greater authority over minor-league operations, though the new MiLB negotiating team is expected to try to carve out an ongoing role for the organization and its leadership.

MLB sounds like they have won on the 120 team number.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, wildcard said:

I don't think we will see the Keys contracted or even leave the O's minor league system.  The fanbase attendance is the 2nd best for the O's minor leagues and fanbases are hard to grow and harder to give up.

Here are the O's fanbase and capacity of O's minor league ball parks:  (Attendance for 2018-2019)

AAA   Norfolk    Harbor Park       Attendance: 5300/game       Capacity:  11,856

AA  Bowie   Prince Georges     Attendance: 3200-3400/game   Capacity:  10,000

A+  Frederick   Harry Grove      Attendance: 4300-4400 /game     Capacity:   5400

A  Delmarva     Perdue         Attendance:  3100-3300/game    Capacity:   5200

Short A   Aberdeen   Ripken    Attendance:  3200- 3500/game   Capacity   6300  

There are no AAA teams on the contraction list so I think Harbor Park is safe.  And there are no other parks or fanbases with that capacity or fans  in the O's area except Richmond which if it change affiliations would probably go to the Nationals instead of them playing their AAA  Fresno.

Though Bowie's attendance is low for a AA club its capacity of 10,000 will probably keep it a AA club in the O's organization.

Frederick's fanbase is too high to contract and if Hagerstown is contracted (30 minute away) it might even increase attendances.  The park may be old and the city not having the money to improve it  just keeps it a A level club instead of allowing it to  move up to AA.

Aberdeen's Ripken Park is newer and has more capacity then Perdue Stadium.  If the O's contract a team it is likely to be Delmarva in the NY Penn League IMO.

Delmarva could become the Nationals Sally League team with Hagerstown being contracted.

JMO

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/09/2019-affiliated-attendance-by-league/

So Aberdeen would become the O's low A team?  Will the New York Penn League be disbanded?

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, LookinUp said:

If I were the O's, I'd contract Delmarva before Frederick just because I'd prefer that footprint in Frederick. Don't want the Nats to take it.

100% agree.  Frederick, Bowie, and Norfolk help them keep a foothold in places that otherwise might be lost.

I've heard that MLB is considering contraction of minor leagues, but very little in the way of specifics.

How many minor league teams are to be contracted?  Has an edict come down from MLB's head office that every major league team must eliminate one and only one of its minor league affiliates?  Might some teams eliminate more than one, while other teams keep their entire minor league system intact?

Given the number of prospects the Orioles have acquired in trades over the past couple of seasons, I would think they'd prefer to keep their minor league system intact so that all those prospects have places to play and develop.  I don't understand why the Orioles would be thinking about contracting either Delmarva or Frederick, unless MLB is giving them no choice but to contract one or the other.

9 hours ago, WillyM said:

I've heard that MLB is considering contraction of minor leagues, but very little in the way of specifics.

How many minor league teams are to be contracted?  Has an edict come down from MLB's head office that every major league team must eliminate one and only one of its minor league affiliates?  Might some teams eliminate more than one, while other teams keep their entire minor league system intact?

Given the number of prospects the Orioles have acquired in trades over the past couple of seasons, I would think they'd prefer to keep their minor league system intact so that all those prospects have places to play and develop.  I don't understand why the Orioles would be thinking about contracting either Delmarva or Frederick, unless MLB is giving them no choice but to contract one or the other.

Sounds like each team will have a AAA, AA, A+, Full season A and a rookie team.  Short season A level teams will be contracted. Aberdeen will move to a full season league.   The  O's have not choice but to conform.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:37 AM, Can_of_corn said:

That mainly comes from MiLB owners. Frederick is tentatively going to be sold, but the buyer is waiting on whether or not they'll be in affiliated baseball. Area around Harry Grove and the stadium itself were going to get I believe a $30 million reinvestment to spruce the area around it to make it more of a fun area with bars and a concert hall. Can't remember the number off the top of my head. 

Also, everyone watch out for December 2nd. MiLB will release who is staying affliated, whose moving around, etc. 

On 11/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, WillyM said:

Mainly rookie leagues like the app league will be contracted. Other things for teams A ball and up will be concerned with facilities and the market they're in. Hagerstown is a prime example. Stadium sucks, it's old, no one wants to reinvest in it and the market isn't that lucrative. 

On 6/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, wildcard said:

Two of the Nationals teams are on the contraction list.  Hagerstown Suns of the Sally League and the Auburn Doubleday of the NY Penn League.  That leaves the Nationals without a Low  A League team.    I have to think they are going to add a team.

If Frederick becomes available because the O's have to subtract a team then the Nationals are a logical team to move a franchise  there.

Maybe you are right about investment but I don't see Frederick without a affiliated minor league team considering the fan base that is there.

I don't think the O's will let the Frederick fan base go.

The O's want out of Frederick because Elias and Co. can't fit their data gathering operation into the stadium. Elias and Mejdal toured it when they arrived and they want out. Fredericksburg would be moved to AA if Frederick is picked up by the Nats. Nats don't do the data gathering that we do, so while this is going to sting, we might see Aberdeen or DelMarva move up the chain.