How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

Rosenthal's latest: https://theathletic.com/1779886/2020/04/28/rosenthal-an-inside-look-at-the-possibilities-and-risks-of-an-mlb-restart/

The league could open in 10 to 12 states, or in as many as 20 home parks, sources say. Or it could start in Florida, Texas and Arizona, then take a break after say, five weeks, to reassess the viability of moving to other locations.

The most realistic time range for Opening Day — somewhere between mid-June and July 4, in the view of most officials — would allow for an 80- to 100-game regular season, with the schedule running through October. An expanded postseason at neutral sites might follow, with the World Series ending in late November or early December.

As momentum for the baseball season builds, some club officials even believe that opening parks to a limited number of fans might be possible in August or September in locations where the virus appears under control, an idea that seemed unthinkable only weeks ago and still might be impractical.

Players likely would need seven to 10 days’ notice before reporting, and spring training would figure to last about three weeks, half its usual length. The most likely scenario would be for teams to return to Florida and Arizona, particularly if those are two of the states where the season will begin.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm actually really enjoying this social distancing thing.

I'll think I'll continue to stay at least six feet away from others when all this settles down.

social distancing for the most part was a nuisance. I mean, we have so much to do at homes, whole different ERA than when you and I grew up.

Stay at home for a few weeks was nice in one way, but sucked, sleeping alone and each one having an assigned bathroom, and practicing social distancing with your spouse sucks, at least for me it did, after being somebody for 45 years.

Sorry the front line and first responders has it rough, its no nuisance to them.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

With 100 or less games, do the O's consider a 4 man rotation?

I don't see how the number of games is relevant. If there's still a game every day, you'd have to use a five-man rotation unless you want your pitchers starting on short rest all the time.

14 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I don't see how the number of games is relevant. If there's still a game every day, you'd have to use a five-man rotation unless you want your pitchers starting on short rest all the time.

If they have expanded rosters and no gameday limits they could use six, seven, eight pitchers a game.  Same pitchers could go as often as every other day.  That could be a great equalizer.  The Yanks will stick with a 5-man, the O's have 20 max-effort relievers.

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If they have expanded rosters and no gameday limits they could use six, seven, eight pitchers a game.  Same pitchers could go as often as every other day.  That could be a great equalizer.  The Yanks will stick with a 5-man, the O's have 20 max-effort relievers.

Why would the Yanks stick with a five man?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do they have five guys better than throwing max effort relievers?  Sure Cole will still start but Jordan Montgomery?

They do have better depth than some team, But, they lost 2 or 3 of their projected SP staff and most teams will feel that.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They do have better depth than some team, But, they lost 2 or 3 of their projected SP staff and most teams will feel that.

Yankees are a smart team.  They wouldn't just go with a five man rotation if they had that kind of roster flexibility.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yankees are a smart team.  They wouldn't just go with a five man rotation if they had that kind of roster flexibility.

Just thinking out loud here.

Shutting baseball down, will probably affect pitchers more than others, and even with a brief ST to get them pitching again, I wonder if we wont see a rash of pitcher ailments across the league.

I hope not, I would not wish that on any team.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would the Yanks stick with a five man?

Don't want to upset their highly-paid All Star starters.  You can't tell Gerrit Cole and his $300M that he's pitching two innings every four days.  First, that's inefficient use of resources, second it might hurt his ego.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just thinking out loud here.

Shutting baseball down, will probably affect pitchers more than others, and even with a brief ST to get them pitching again, I wonder if we wont see a rash of pitcher ailments across the league.

I hope not, I would not wish that on any team.

Someone more industrious than myself could see if your theory is back by injury rates during strike shortened seasons.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gerrit Cole pitching five innings is probably more effective per inning than an average reliever going one.  But if the O's use nine pitchers a game the gap is considerably less.