Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

wildcard

Just listened to Buster Olney frame the issue between the players and the owners.

Boras and Tony Clark want prorated pay for the players.   Owners say no fans in the stands means a 50-50 split of revenue is needed.  They are digging in  on their positions which threatens the 2020 season.   Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball this season?

https://1057thefan.radio.com/blogs/inside-access-with-jason-la-canfora-ken-weinman/espn-buster-olney-mlb-owners-vs-players-2020

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I think I side with the owners so far in this particular situation.  Unless something changes,  if there is no baseball,  I'll lay the blame largely at the players/union feet.

The owners have been losing money, while the players are still collecting their pay checks, as they have no investment in the franchise.

That doesnt mean the owners get off scott free, as they are a greedy lot, too.

But, in this case, I have zero sympathies for the players.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

The topic is if there is not MLB baseball this year.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's a blame game.  You might have commentary from both sides that rub fans the wrong way, but ultimately I think they, both MLB and the players, have to be cautious; and if that leads to no season this year as a result of being overcautious or simply paralyzed to act that's the way the cookie crumbles, imo.

I would hope in the future if something similar occurs that this experience would lead to ideas that would lead to some kind of product on the field, but who knows.  This is uncharted water.  I think the best we can hope for this year is some kind of exhibition season.  But even then, I'm hesitant to place "blame" if it doesn't happen.

And---------  I don't think we should be looking at the NFL as any kind of indication of what happens with MLB.  The NFL can say all day long up until when the games are scheduled to start that the season is on and then suddenly shut it down if things happen; and who knows how much or how little would have to change for that to happen.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, that's standard for interactions today.  Who's head can we place on a pike if all of these hypotheticals fall into place?  Don't want to be last in line for recriminations.

Agreed.  What the hell good is an internet if you can't use it to blame somebody with?  Tragic waste of technology if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I don't think it's a blame game.  You might have commentary from both sides that rub fans the wrong way, but ultimately I think they, both MLB and the players, have to be cautious; and if that leads to no season this year as a result of being overcautious or simply paralyzed to act that's the way the cookie crumbles, imo.

I would hope in the future if something similar occurs that this experience would lead to ideas that would lead to some kind of product on the field, but who knows.  This is uncharted water.  I think the best we can hope for this year is some kind of exhibition season.  But even then, I'm hesitant to place "blame" if it doesn't happen.

And---------  I don't think we should be looking at the NFL as any kind of indication of what happens with MLB.  The NFL can say all day long up until when the games are scheduled to start that the season is on and then suddenly shut it down if things happen; and who knows how much or how little would have to change for that to happen.

Sounds like you are thinking that the virus is the reason for no baseball.   Olney is saying that it may not be the virus but money that causes the season not to be played.

27 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Agreed.  What the hell good is an internet if you can't use it to blame somebody with?  Tragic waste of technology if you ask me.

Half of everything the internet:

"See that guy over there?  He's an idiot, and you're all morons because you love him.  Why am I the only one who sees the truth?!?!?!?"

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like you are thinking that the virus is the reason for no baseball.   Olney is saying that it may not be the virus but money that causes the season not to be played.

If not for the virus we wouldn't be having this discussion, but instead one about why Stevie Wilkerson is still on the team this far into the season.  Olney needs clicks for revenues, but it couldn't be more clear that the virus is the root cause for all of this.  The money is just a detail to be worked out because of the virus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're agreeing its the players' fault?  ??

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If not for the virus we wouldn't be having this discussion, but instead one about why Stevie Wilkerson is still on the team this far into the season.  Olney needs clicks for revenues, but it couldn't be more clear that the virus is the root cause for all of this.  The money is just a detail to be worked out because of the virus.

That is not what I think Olney is pointing out.   Sure the virus has caused a delay in the season and restrictions on how they will play in July and after, if they play.   But what Olney is pointing out is that the two sides are far apart on the money issue of how the players are paid for the season.   And that may cause the season not be played.