Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

wildcard

When the ship is sinking is too late to ask who  missed the iceberg. 

It’s June. I was telling my wife, “today is the first really hot day.” And as I said that I thought that the only thing that compensates for the intense heat of North Texas is baseball.

I don’t think we’re going to see baseball again and it makes me so sad.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

When the ship is sinking is too late to ask who  missed the iceberg. 

It’s June. I was telling my wife, “today is the first really hot day.” And as I said that I thought that the only thing that compensates for the intense heat of North Texas is baseball.

I don’t think we’re going to see baseball again and it makes me so sad.

The past few days the amount I miss baseball, and in especially miss watching the Orioles, took a big leap. I'm not sure why -- the decreasing likelihood we're going to see much if any baseball in 2020, the weather heating up, lawns and trees and other green stuff looking like summer, the start of strawberry season (which to me is a sign that the Fourth of July isn't too far away), other sports formulating the details of their plans to resume play, the reduction in entertainment alternatives, other factors I can't identify. But I really wanted to put a game on, log into Game threads, and start listening to Palmer, reading posts and expressing my own views about whether this team is making any progress toward being competitive.  

On top of that, the tenor of the recent discussions -- or exchange of stupid letters that lecture the other side about how bad it is but don't accomplish anything (nastygrams, we used to call them when I was a lawyer), or whatever the two sides are doing, I hesitate to call it "negotiating" -- don't fill me with confidence about getting a new collective bargaining agreement done for 2022. The main source of  frustration about being an Orioles fan should be how bad the team is. But that's become a secondary problem. Draft Day should be fun, but it shouldn't be the highlight of the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

The past few days the amount I miss baseball, and in especially miss watching the Orioles, took a big leap. I'm not sure why -- the decreasing likelihood we're going to see much if any baseball in 2020, the weather heating up, lawns and trees and other green stuff looking like summer, the start of strawberry season (which to me is a sign that the Fourth of July isn't too far away), other sports formulating the details of their plans to resume play, the reduction in entertainment alternatives, other factors I can't identify. But I really wanted to put a game on, log into Game threads, and start listening to Palmer, reading posts and expressing my own views about whether this team is making any progress toward being competitive.  

On top of that, the tenor of the recent discussions -- or exchange of stupid letters that lecture the other side about how bad it is but don't accomplish anything (nastygrams, we used to call them when I was a lawyer), or whatever the two sides are doing, I hesitate to call it "negotiating" -- don't fill me with confidence about getting a new collective bargaining agreement done for 2022. The main source of  frustration about being an Orioles fan should be how bad the team is. But that's become a secondary problem. Draft Day should be fun, but it shouldn't be the highlight of the season.

Yes exactly.

My brother is a lawyer, and he reminded me of an old anecdote:

“When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. And when neither is on your side, yell and shake your fist a lot.”

And we are getting a lot of yelling and fist shaking.

Meanwhile, the old guys are ruining their final season, and the young guys are ruining their first season.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yes exactly.

My brother is a lawyer, and he reminded me of an old anecdote:

“When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. And when neither is on your side, yell and shake your fist a lot.”

And we are getting a lot of yelling and fist shaking.

Meanwhile, the old guys are ruining their final season, and the young guys are ruining their first season.

Who's higher on the totem pole:  Lawyers or used car dealers?

"Buy Here, Pay Here.  But if you ain't got the money, don't bother coming in."

4 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

This is now in my mind a strike by the players. 

Yes I think you’re correct. 

The solidarity, the opportunity, the motive, a clear enemy and a clear message.

The message is that the players don’t care about anything except making sure they get their money, and minor leaguers, fans, and the game be damned, and the owners don’t care about anything except keeping their money, and minor leaguers, fans, and the game be damned.

oh what fun...

In other words, things that really need to be dealt with won’t be.

• Like 1

I blame the players.

Historically speaking, I think the players were absolutely correct and right to unionize, to get free agency, etc.  I think the owner's collusion of the mid 80s is a worse blight on MLB than the Black Sox scandal and the worst thing in MLB history outside of keeping African-American's out of the game.

But when it comes to other labor disputes, when it comes to strikes...the players are wrong.  Every single time.  Especially in a time right now where every day people are losing their jobs and there's civil unrest.  I'm not blaming them for the interest of getting more money...I think everyone should want more money.  But the way they go about it, how it looks...I hate to use the term "optics" because it's so cliche and overused today, people think it makes them sound smarter when they say it...but the optics of how they appear...it's just never good.

• Like 1