Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

wildcard

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

Really?  We all know that the underlying cause of the season not being played is the virus.  But we have 2 sides who are trying to figure out how to deal with the aftermath.   And in that negotiation both sides are taking specific positions that we,  as fans,  can look at and decide which is being the most reasonable and which side is doing their part to see the game we love start up again.   Sorry if you find that 'silly', but it is what it is. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Agreed. I think both sides are greedy, and yet, the owners have lost money this season, and major leaguers have not, just the poor minor leaguers, that can least afford to lose money.

Billionaires don't 'lose money'.  They just won't make as much as they normally would.

12 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Billionaires does 'lose money'.  They just won't make as much as they normally would.

Where would you say they have "made" money?  They get no revenue from ticket sales?  They are paying out player salaries.  I would venture a guess that they have lost money on stock holdings.  Are they getting income from TV rights for games that are not being played?  I'm not sure.  I would bet that they really are "losing" money during this whole thing.  Just like the rest of us.

12 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Where would you say they have "made" money?  They get no revenue from ticket sales?  They are paying out player salaries.  I would venture a guess that they have lost money on stock holdings.  Are they getting income from TV rights for games that are not being played?  I'm not sure.  I would bet that they really are "losing" money during this whole thing.  Just like the rest of us.

Not to mention they are refunding season ticket holders. So yeah, not only are they not making anything, they are indeed losing money! 

Billionaires losing money. Boo Hoo. Millionaires losing money. boo hoo. Pick a side. Millionaires are worth 1000 x less than billionaires. Both will survive, One group will feel the pain 1000 x more than the other. I have a hard time ginning up much empathy for either side.

• Thanks 1

Are you all sure the player are getting paid? I was under the impression they are not.

Look at it from this perspective, if they're getting paid now then they will get paid for the entire season regardless if they play or not. Thus they wouldn't be arguing over how much the players will get paid.

Just now, scOtt said:

Are you all sure the player are getting paid? I was under the impression they are not.

Look at it from this perspective, if they're getting paid now then they will get paid for the entire season regardless if they play or not. Thus they wouldn't be arguing over how much the players will get paid.

If they were getting paid why would they even consider playing for a prorated potion of their salary?

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

In late March, MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) reached agreement on multiple considerations related to the start of the season being delayed, including:[15]

• The 2020 MLB draft will be held by July 20, and reduced from 40 rounds to five rounds.
  • Player salaries will be pro-rated, based on the length of the regular season.
  • Players will receive full service time for the season, regardless of the length of the season, even if canceled.
  • Roster moves were frozen as of March 27, until the season begins.

However the owners are saying that the March agreement did not address if there were no fans in the stands.  That fact will make the owners lose money and they want to renegotiate the terms of the season pay for the players.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like you are thinking that the virus is the reason for no baseball.   Olney is saying that it may not be the virus but money that causes the season not to be played.

Yes, it's the virus.  Maybe that's an excuse, but if we place blame on one party or another it's THE factor controlling any of their decision making, imo.  One could argue that it's a liability argument, but where's the blame there.  Two sides are trying to preserve themselves... albeit two very rich sides, but it doesn't ring well with the havenots...

5 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

I'll just say this.  Every major corporation has a business continuity plan on what to do in the case of emergencies, disasters, pandemics, etc.  Why did baseball (or sports in general) not have these contingency plans in place?  If you really must point blame, it starts with the management of these sports leagues that had no prior planning in place and are instead reacting to everything after the fact.

I'm not going to dispute that, but let me ask what happens if a player(s) is diagnosed????  What then?

If a couple players across the league get infected that shuts down the schedule of 2 to 8 teams regardless of what schedule they're playing.  The team the infected player played the week before diagnosis likely gets quarantined, definitely the two teams in the series when the diagnosis occurred.  KABOOM, schedule f'd.

It's an untenable situation.  The season starts and ends in two weeks if things go south.  You wanna be on the PR end of that media frenzy?  So blame?  Don't think there's any, for me anyway.  Both would look utterly foolish and foolhardy if it got shut down in short order.  And who can guarantee that any of these guys have been following any of the distancing protocols?  You'd like to hope so, but you don't know.

It's a quagmire of potentialities and legalities.  ...and some of them could be a lot worse than simply not playing... like a player dies, a stadium worker dies.  I'll leave the rest to you.