2020 Round 5 (133): Carter Baumler - RHS- (HS)(Dowling Catholic)

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He seemed more stunned, IMO, because he thought he wasn't signable. Again, if Callis thinks he's a top 50 guy on talent and potential, I'd love to hear it.  Baumler and Mayo sound like good upside picks for their rounds. I just don't get how they are steals going by consensus rankings.

I was just going by the Callis reaction because he was one of the people that specifically called it a steal. Your point is definitely valid though. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More athletic than Greinke, who’s won six Gold Gloves and has an OPS that’s roughly double that of the average pitcher?    I kind of doubt it.    But that’s high praise indeed.  

Greinke was also picked 6th overall out of high school so I would have to say BS on that appraisal.

I have heard the high school guys were probably ranked a little lower this season because many of the guys didn’t get a high school season to climb up the board.  Some of these guys were 16-17 last season so it was similar to signing an international player with not as much experience as usual.  They were using more projections then results this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I have no problem with these picks but the quetion I have on this kid is this:  Kids get rated on potential,  not signability.  So, if he has so much talent and potential,  who had him as a top 100 pick?  Serious question.

I don't know how they do top lists when it comes to signability, but this kid also missed a lot of time due to mono so he wasn't seen by a ton of teams. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah. We got him at 133. Tony and others say he's a steal at 133. Ok.  Why? Just because he's considered a tough sign?  If someone had him rated 50 and we got him at 133 that would sound like a steal.  It sounds like a lot of the "experts" had him rated where we picked him.  How is that a steal?

I don't know about the "experts" but this kid was rated much higher by the Orioles than 133 I can tell you that. With a smooth, athletic delivery that he repeats well. Add in a 92-94 fastball with a high spin rate, a good curveball already, and was a TCU recruit and yes, I think that qualifies as a steal in the 5th round. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Saying someone is a more athletic Greinke actually does mean that,  

If you want to seriously think someone comparing a HS kid to a pro ball player means that they're saying they'll be that player or better in time then...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He seemed more stunned, IMO, because he thought he wasn't signable. Again, if Callis thinks he's a top 50 guy on talent and potential, I'd love to hear it.  Baumler and Mayo sound like good upside picks for their rounds. I just don't get how they are steals going by consensus rankings.

I don't know for sure, but have some thoughts.  Callis did seem stunned which is highly unusual for him.  

I think when a player is considered unsignable then the analysts like Callis and Mayo and others tend to stop following him, stop asking as many questions of scouts.  That seems to be what happened with the Red Sox first round pick who was rated crazy low, but suddenly had some "among the best HS hitters in the draft" praise - the kid had been deemed unsignable and so the analysts research was not as thorough.

I think Callis being stunned is an expectation that the kid is going to sign for something like $1M-$1.75M (my numbers) which is second round number - which makes for excellent value, obviously, in the fifth round.

• Upvote 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/5340971002

“It was definitely a tough situation, and I understand TCU is a phenomenal option, and we definitely took that into consideration, and that’s why we did turn down a number that wasn’t at the point where we wanted it to be,” Baumler said Thursday night. “So it was really tough. But I knew what I wanted, and it worked out.”

Sounds like a guy who is planning on signing. 

3 minutes ago, Master Guns said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/5340971002

“It was definitely a tough situation, and I understand TCU is a phenomenal option, and we definitely took that into consideration, and that’s why we did turn down a number that wasn’t at the point where we wanted it to be,” Baumler said Thursday night. “So it was really tough. But I knew what I wanted, and it worked out.”

Sounds like a guy who is planning on signing. 

Pretty sure I’ve seen reports that both of our HS guys plan on signing, indicating there was already an agreement in place