A season of AAA guys?

HowAboutThat

51 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If this were to go on for a while, for example if this segued into the new CBA negotiations and there was a long stoppage, and the owners tried a replacement-player season there's a possibility that the real players (especially those out of contract) would try to start some alternate league of some sort.  The owners would have the uniforms and the stadiums we're familiar with but low-A talent.  The players would have new uniforms and who knows where they'd play, but they'd have MLB players.  I think the players would win that battle.  Who would you watch, Jomar Reyes or Mike Trout?

Little League..12 year olds….hehe

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The LLWS is always a must watch. Schoop got the save. 

It's entertaining for a while, but I always get the feeling that the teams that win have the highest percentage of 11-year-olds who are already shaving.  There are 6th graders in the tournament who're bigger than Brian Roberts.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I'm not sure, but PA was (is) a pretty strong union guy, which is another reason he is not liked by other owners. PA would never have approved such a move. I'm not sure his sons are the same. IMO scab, replacement players would cause more problems in the long haul for the owners, watching inferior play strengthens the true Major Leaguers.

If everyone is the same level people wouldn’t notice that much.  People watch triple A baseball and I am sure it wouldn’t be much different.  

I used to go to AHL games at Hershey and there were plenty of players better than the worst NHL players.  For example I saw guys like Mike Green and John Carlson play there.  But not only those future NHL all stars I saw guys as skilled as great NHL players but because of their size couldn’t be stars in NHL.  Guys like Chris Borque for example.  I am sure there are plenty of minor league players that would entertain at MLB level.  

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If this were to go on for a while, for example if this segued into the new CBA negotiations and there was a long stoppage, and the owners tried a replacement-player season there's a possibility that the real players (especially those out of contract) would try to start some alternate league of some sort.  The owners would have the uniforms and the stadiums we're familiar with but low-A talent.  The players would have new uniforms and who knows where they'd play, but they'd have MLB players.  I think the players would win that battle.  Who would you watch, Jomar Reyes or Mike Trout?

You watch a third level soccer team so I suspect you would gladly watch Reyes play.  I don’t watch Trout play now. He plays on west coast and never is in the playoffs so I don’t see hi,m and he holds no appeal to me.  If you planned to watch Orioles this year you would already be watching a replacement team.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I dont know......most people root for the uniform and not the player. 10 years from now most of the "major leaguers" will have names most people are now unfamiliar with. I'm much more likely to watch the Baltimore Orioles, with a bunch of young new talent, than watch the Annapolis Seaman featuring Chris Davis, John Means, Austin Hayes, and 23 other guys from around the league. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I dont know......most people root for the uniform and not the player. 10 years from now most of the "major leaguers" will have names most people are now unfamiliar with. I'm much more likely to watch the Baltimore Orioles, with a bunch of young new talent, than watch the Annapolis Seaman featuring Chris Davis, John Means, Austin Hayes, and 23 other guys from around the league. 

Yeah and most people turn on players when they leave.  How many on here said bad things about Markakis and Jones when they left. 

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think before it got to that point - Congress would have already threatened to revoke MLB's anti-trust exemption.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

If everyone is the same level people wouldn’t notice that much.  People watch triple A baseball and I am sure it wouldn’t be much different.  

I used to go to AHL games at Hershey and there were plenty of players better than the worst NHL players.  For example I saw guys like Mike Green and John Carlson play there.  But not only those future NHL all stars I saw guys as skilled as great NHL players but because of their size couldn’t be stars in NHL.  Guys like Chris Borque for example.  I am sure there are plenty of minor league players that would entertain at MLB level.  

The Rochester Amerks had numerous former NHL guys for a period...some former All Stars...guys like Bronco Horvath, Dick Gamble, Al Arbour and more. Of course there were only six teams in the league at the time, Hershey, Springfield, Providence, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Great rivalries and hockey.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only "bad" thing anyone said about Markakis is that he wasn't worth the contract Atlanta signed him to.

Was a lot better contract than the ones the Orioles used to sign Hardy, Davis, Cobb, O'Day, Jiminez or just about anyone that signed a multi-year contract with the Orioles other than Adam Jones. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Was a lot better contract than the ones the Orioles used to sign Hardy, Davis, Cobb, O'Day, Jiminez or just about anyone that signed a multi-year contract with the Orioles other than Adam Jones. 

I was against the second Hardy deal, against the Davis deal, against the Cobb deal (halfheated since they'd backed themselves into a corner), against the second O'Day deal, against the Jiminez deal, against the Gallardo deal and against the Trumbo deal.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was against the second Hardy deal, against the Davis deal, against the Cobb deal (halfheated since they'd backed themselves into a corner), against the second O'Day deal, against the Jiminez deal, against the Gallardo deal and against the Trumbo deal.

You were also against the Adam Jones extension.  But that worked out very well.